Modern immigrants

Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Modern immigrants

Originally Posted by seang
mags I wish you the best and hope things turn for you but I disagree with the staement that immigration is for those with money.agreed education and health is expensive but atleast its available. For many of our "fore-immigrants" there was nothing at all except for an even elitist group.
I have no figures to prove it but I would hazard a guess that those who emmigrate with substantial financial backing behind them find the whole process that bit easier than those who start out skint...
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
No arguments from me - you're spot on - research counts for **** all. Until you're actually living somewhere you have no idea what it's going to be like - and all the blue skies, beaches and barbies in the world won't alter that fact.
Thats so true, no matter how prepared you think you are after visits and research and stuff, nothing is like actually being here and suddenly realising that this is your life, you are here, warts and all.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:35 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have no figures to prove it but I would hazard a guess that those who emmigrate with substantial financial backing behind them find the whole process that bit easier than those who start out skint...
I agree. When I was having real difficulties being here, the fact that I was solvent, had a disposable income and could buy my way out was indeed a comfort. I have always been aware that this was not the situation for some.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:36 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly expect that to be the case and probably is. However maybe they have even higher expectations and maybe disappointed by Australia.

Regardless immigration it self works for some and doesnt for others. I know that off topic from the original post.

To be honest is immigration to a whole new world something you should be doing if skint? (not saying thats mags case). but you would be on the back foot from day one and it will obviously be a strain. So skint in uk or skint in Aus ...either way most doors will be closed to you (although some benifits being in uk..dole if needed/health care/ family etc).
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:37 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats so true, no matter how prepared you think you are after visits and research and stuff, nothing is like actually being here and suddenly realising that this is your life, you are here, warts and all.
Yup. It is only once you are here that the reality of living somewhere else where you have little or no support network, friends or security certainly is a real heartbreaker or enlightment for many. I had no idea how difficult I would find it to settle somewhere overseas.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:39 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I have never understood this concept. If you are prepared to sit on a beach all day, then yes, its cheap. You want more than that, then surprise, surprise its going to cost you money. Australia is a first world country and very little is cheap or free because of it... certainly no more so than any other similar country.
Ok think about it this way. If you are happy to sit on a beach all day, chuck a frisbee around, go for a walk in the forest, have a picnic with mates, then you can do all those things here for free, or very cheap.

Now you can do all of those things in other countries, it is true. But you rarely get to do them, because most other countries don't have as many accessible beaches or as good a climate. Whereas Australia on the other hand, does have a good climate and lots of beaches....making it a good place to enjoy yourself with little $$$.

I know what your saying though.... if you want to do stuff that cost money, well, surprise surprise... It'll cost money wherever you live !
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Ok think about it this way. If you are happy to sit on a beach all day, chuck a frisbee around, go for a walk in the forest, have a picnic with mates, then you can do all those things here for free, or very cheap.

Now you can do all of those things in other countries, it is true. But you rarely get to do them, because most other countries don't have as many accessible beaches or as good a climate. Whereas Australia on the other hand, does have a good climate and lots of beaches....making it a good place to enjoy yourself with little $$$.

I know what your saying though.... if you want to do stuff that cost money, well, surprise surprise... It'll cost money wherever you live !

OK, I'll give you that.

Oddly though I personally don't see much evidence of those activities taking place. I took my dog for a walk earlier, overlooking one of the best beaches in the Illawarra (which has a lot to chose from !!) and there were two, yes two, people on a two mile long beach. Now admittedly its mid-Winter but it must be in the 20's in the sun and its a gorgeous day... and the beach looks the same most days.

..and apologies to the OP for dragging the post off in the 'wrong' direction. I will leave it at that

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jul 31st 2009 at 5:49 pm. Reason: added apologies to OP.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely with your sentiment - but it seems to me that even with the beach in close proximity, parks all around, spotless free bbq stations etc etc etc - many migrants don't make use of 'em. Bottom line is that if you're a sit-on-the-couch telly watching bum then moving 12,000 miles around the planet isn't going to suddenly transform you into a bush-walking surf-skiing outdoorsy freakazoid.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:58 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly though I personally don't see much evidence of those activities taking place. I took my dog for a walk earlier, overlooking one of the best beaches in the Illawarra (which has a lot to chose from !!) and there were two, yes two, people on a two mile long beach. Now admittedly its mid-Winter but it must be in the 20's in the sun and its a gorgeous day... and the beach looks the same most days.

..and apologies to the OP for dragging the post off in the 'wrong' direction. I will leave it at that
I agree... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen an empty beach/beatiful parkland/etc and thought to themselves "if this was in the UK, it would be heaving!"
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

and thought to themselves "if this was in the UK, it would be heaving!"
Or heavily built up ...

It's worth remembering just how recent settlement (non-indigenous settlement) has been here. There are, let's face it, very few parts of the yookay that haven't been built on, farmed or otherwise buggered about with at some stage. But here, right on my doorstep, they're selling parcels of land that have never been utilised for anything at all. The little town we live in is only about 70 years old, yet it's on a superb seven mile long beach and next to an unspoilt river teaming with fish.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:10 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by Hutch
I agree completely with your sentiment - but it seems to me that even with the beach in close proximity, parks all around, spotless free bbq stations etc etc etc - many migrants don't make use of 'em. Bottom line is that if you're a sit-on-the-couch telly watching bum then moving 12,000 miles around the planet isn't going to suddenly transform you into a bush-walking surf-skiing outdoorsy freakazoid.
I think I'm just as guilty, sitting on my arse with the tv on and typing away on the laptop....

At the moment though I just don't have any spare time whatsoever to do the things I want to do. Hopefully things will change soon.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Research actually counts for very little, as it isn't until you are 'living' here that you can really tell what it is really like.

There is a definite difference between the migrants from 50 years ago to today's version.

I feel that today's migrants are looking for much more than their predecessors' were. Many of those migrants from years ago, just wanted a new life, no matter how different, especially after both wars. Today most of us move for betterment, rather than just something different.

Setting up in a new place is very hard, and it isn't for everyone, and when some things do not go according to plan, it can feel much worse in a new unknown environment. The reaction to that is often to want to return to familiar surroundings, which is a totally normal reaction.

I feel like I am waffling.... this isn't normally me... give me stats any day... i'm off.....

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy i made abc waffle maybe one day ABC will make me spout statistics, but thats what make BE, different strokes for with different folkes but in all seriousness i think britain still has the '50 year old myth' of emigrating, even then i dont know if it was true anyway, i think perhaps (like me) the immigrants held their pride.

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 2nd 2009 at 1:20 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:22 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7802943]Research actually counts for very little, as it isn't until you are 'living' here that you can really tell what it is really like.

There is a definite difference between the migrants from 50 years ago to today's version.

I would love to read some material on this, is there any around that you know of
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hebe
Yes we did - had a good lifestyle, were well off and both had very well paid jobs - we came here because OH was headhunted - thought why not and here we are. Would we have come without a job as many do? probably not.

However, I do find it difficult to understand how people think they can move over here and then have more than they had in the UK. If you earn 20,000 pounds a year in the UK doing a job you are probably not going to earn much more here. Personally I fail to understand why people would think it would be any different. As for housing costs near the city, surely most people will realise that this will be expensive and to live in a good suburb more expensive still - this is the same the world over - this is not unique to Australia.

What is good about Australia is the way of life and you don't have to earn a fortune to enjoy this.

well hebe, good for you, am jealous you had it all worked out before you came, am assuming you came from the same circumstances with the same aged kids as me, the same education, experiences, and the same background as everyone else who posts on BE, thank goodness on Be we are all the same and have people like you to tell us where we came from and where we're going wrong.

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 2nd 2009 at 1:43 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret3;7805922]
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Research actually counts for very little, as it isn't until you are 'living' here that you can really tell what it is really like.

I would love to read some material on this, is there any around that you know of
Well my parents emigrated to Oz 40 years ago!I was a small child back then.We were met at the airport by a coach,and then transferred to Pennington Hostel.I recall my Mum saying "What in gods name have we done"?Pennington is in Port Adelaide which is industrial!!!Nice start!we stayed there for 10 weeks which in that time my father secured work as a plumber.My parents managed to buy a new build house which was 1/4 of the size of the house they had left behind!Unfortunately my father died 14 years ago,but both my parents never felt truly settled,and even to this day my Mum still wants to come "home"but feels she can't because of her family being there!(kids and grand kids).There was a series on here fairly recently that had been repeated about the £10 poms,not sure whether you can buy it on a dvd???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.