Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone stolen from inside house

Mobile phone stolen from inside house

Old May 5th 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile phone stolen from inside house

Last night at about 8:30pm when hubby came home. Went outside to show him new windscreen on my car that Autoglass had put on car. We left front door open as we were just a few metres away.

As we were walking back to house I saw a little girl (a neighbours child) going to someone else's front door and then she just walked into our house and into the lounge. I followed her in an said "excuse me can I help you". She just looked and me and walked past and was off.

About 2min later I realised my mobile phone was missing - it was near front door on table. I phoned it a couple times to see if I could hear it. I went across to neighbours. This little girl - who's about 7yrs old - came past me on a cycle I asked her "I would like have my mobile phone back thank you" - she looked and me and said "I don't know what you are talking about". She rode off.

I went to her house - a whole bunch of boys were outside in garden. I asked to see their parents. One of the boys said his mum is in the bath. I said I would like to speak her her now or I would phone the police. I said his sister had stolen my phone. One of the older boys chased after the little girl. One of the younger boys about 6yrs old went inside the house and came out with my mobile phone. His mom then followed him outside (she was fully clothed and obviously was not having a bath). The young brother said his sister thought it was a toy phone.

I told the mother that her daughter had stolen my mobile phone from inside my house - which is burglary.

Now I'm wondering did she steal the phone because she wanted to or because someone is bullying her and telling her to go steal things from people's houses. This family are gypsies in a council house.

I have got my mobile phone back but I still want to report it to the police and to the council but my hubby feels we will be victimised by them and he said we're going in less than 6 weeks so just let it drop.

What do you guys think?
Old May 5th 2006, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone stolen from inside house

Originally Posted by Luma
Last night at about 8:30pm when hubby came home. Went outside to show him new windscreen on my car that Autoglass had put on car. We left front door open as we were just a few metres away.

As we were walking back to house I saw a little girl (a neighbours child) going to someone else's front door and then she just walked into our house and into the lounge. I followed her in an said "excuse me can I help you". She just looked and me and walked past and was off.

About 2min later I realised my mobile phone was missing - it was near front door on table. I phoned it a couple times to see if I could hear it. I went across to neighbours. This little girl - who's about 7yrs old - came past me on a cycle I asked her "I would like have my mobile phone back thank you" - she looked and me and said "I don't know what you are talking about". She rode off.

I went to her house - a whole bunch of boys were outside in garden. I asked to see their parents. One of the boys said his mum is in the bath. I said I would like to speak her her now or I would phone the police. I said his sister had stolen my phone. One of the older boys chased after the little girl. One of the younger boys about 6yrs old went inside the house and came out with my mobile phone. His mom then followed him outside (she was fully clothed and obviously was not having a bath). The young brother said his sister thought it was a toy phone.

I told the mother that her daughter had stolen my mobile phone from inside my house - which is burglary.

Now I'm wondering did she steal the phone because she wanted to or because someone is bullying her and telling her to go steal things from people's houses. This family are gypsies in a council house.

I have got my mobile phone back but I still want to report it to the police and to the council but my hubby feels we will be victimised by them and he said we're going in less than 6 weeks so just let it drop.

What do you guys think?

I had this problem last week when the lads who live behind us trashed our garden and nnicked the lawn mower. We decided it wasn't worth the hassle of hving our windows put through for the sake of a few quid that it would cost to replace the mower.

Whilst it's annoying that you have done nothing, it's much better than having to replace windows and all the other hassle you'd get. They aren't worth all the stress.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

What is totally shocking is the age that kids are now starting to commit crime. Also really young children wondering around by themselves with no supervision just shocks me totally.

Originally Posted by WendyC
I had this problem last week when the lads who live behind us trashed our garden and nnicked the lawn mower. We decided it wasn't worth the hassle of hving our windows put through for the sake of a few quid that it would cost to replace the mower.

Whilst it's annoying that you have done nothing, it's much better than having to replace windows and all the other hassle you'd get. They aren't worth all the stress.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:33 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Its a sad state of affairs when we let the rat bags get a way with these things, because we are worried of reprisals.

I would probably let it slide too, especially now we are going, and cant be arsed with the extra hassles.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you guys think?

Mate I shall be honest with you, put it down to experience, keep your doors locked and eyes open.

I have had lots of experience with gypsies, both in the working environment and seeing them in our area.

Even the police avoid them in our area.

You may or may not end up with more hassle and trouble than what its worth if you take it to the police because you can be sure they will make a meal out of it and have nothing to lose.

A sad state of affairs but alot of gypsies set their own standards and calmly walking into your house and stealing is just one of them.

Ive seen their kids stealing in Asdas from as young as 4 years old, they dont know any different which is very sad.

I normally stand up to bullies but Im afraid that sometimes its better to walk away when you have the upper hand.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What is totally shocking is the age that kids are now starting to commit crime. Also really young children wondering around by themselves with no supervision just shocks me totally.

Tell me about it. Also annoys me that some of the poor little buggers run round in just a nappy. These parents really need a slap.
Old May 5th 2006, 9:03 am
TRF
Forum Regular

TRF is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Mobile phone stolen from inside house

I wouldn't bother with the Police although it's a shame not to use them. I think you handled it very well and the fact that you went to the Girls house and told her Mother what she did, has at least highlighted to that family that you are fully aware of thier lack of morals. Hopefully they will bypass you in future because you have made yourself known. In a way you can't blame the very young children for thier actions, as they are not old enough to know that what thier parents tell them to do is wrong.
Least you got your phone back!
Old May 7th 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

What do you guys think?
I think it is best to drop it. They can turn nasty and the police don't want to know. We had so much stolen several times and the police said to go down to the market and buy it back. Can you believe it!

Just be glad you are getting the hell out of there soon.

By the way haven't seen any gypsies here.
Old May 7th 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it really sad that the consensus so far is to basically forget this and not involve the police. So much for 'Great' Britain. I totally agree however. it's just not worth the hassle. I firmly believe that its time to bring back the birch obviously not for a child so young but for yobs and people that commit unsociable crimes. And they should be belted in public too. Bring back the stocks , I say!!
Old May 8th 2006, 12:41 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Report it!
Old May 8th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Report it!
I understand that we should not let them get away with things but in this case the girl is 7 years olds so that means she is under the age of criminal responsibility therefore unless the Police can prove the mother or someone of of criminal responsibility age had forced or coerced this girl then they are powerless to act. It is not uncommon for some families to use their children to commit acts of theft ie shoplifting and the likes because they know the police are powerless.( Notice i am trying to be politically correct and not name person types)
In this case as the OP is soon to move I would like many others want a quiet life and say nothing, but remember there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:03 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
I understand that we should not let them get away with things but in this case the girl is 7 years olds so that means she is under the age of criminal responsibility therefore unless the Police can prove the mother or someone of of criminal responsibility age had forced or coerced this girl then they are powerless to act. It is not uncommon for some families to use their children to commit acts of theft ie shoplifting and the likes because they know the police are powerless.( Notice i am trying to be politically correct and not name person types)
In this case as the OP is soon to move I would like many others want a quiet life and say nothing, but remember there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Yes there is more than one way to skin a cat. A young lad scratched our car with the handlebar of his bike. This scratch went the whole length of the car, his mum says.. "It'll 'T' Cut out won't it"?
"You're having a laugh!"

My insurance said he's a minor, unlucky, you have shit out on this one.
So I skinned a cat another way!

If people are happy to let others take the piss out of them, well, crack on.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:25 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Report it!
Have to agree with Rossi here. these people do not look at it and say "we was lucky she didnt report us, lets keep away from her" they look at you as a soft touch now.

You cant let people walk all over you. We have them here and they are trouble. About 2% are good people, rest are waiting for an opportunity to rob you. Report it and get something on record. Help your neighbours
Old May 8th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Yes there is more than one way to skin a cat. A young lad scratched our car with the handlebar of his bike. This scratch went the whole length of the car, his mum says.. "It'll 'T' Cut out won't it"?
"You're having a laugh!"

My insurance said he's a minor, unlucky, you have shit out on this one.
So I skinned a cat another way!

If people are happy to let others take the piss out of them, well, crack on.
Understand where your coming from, I would be planning for something special on my moving day when its too late to get any grief but we can not all be like that (thank god).
Old May 8th 2006, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your replies.

This is what I've decided to to about it so far.

A couple days before we leave:
- I will fill in one of the anti social log sheets that the council gave me the last time I complained about the same family.
- I will phone the local police and have a little chat - just to inform them of the incidence.
-I will write a letter to our local newspaper and tell them what happens in such a lovely neighbourhood as ours.
- I will hand over my "crime" file to my neighbour next door - she wants all the information. They only moved in a month ago so they are keen to take a stand against those causing the trouble.

This will all be for the sake of our neighbours - hopefully something might be done but at least the people in the know will be informed about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.