Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne to Uluru??

Melbourne to Uluru??

Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:48 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne to Uluru??

Has anyone one driven it? Does anyone have any ideas on route plans, where to stay/ not to stay (we will have use of a camper trailer) Where to call in and see etc?

Would anyone choose to never do it again cos it was just to far/ boring/ hot/ fly infested/ to full of tourists etc

We may or may not decide to do it but would be great to hear of any experiences
Old Jun 25th 2006, 11:34 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne to Uluru??

Originally Posted by hevs
Has anyone one driven it? Does anyone have any ideas on route plans, where to stay/ not to stay (we will have use of a camper trailer) Where to call in and see etc?

Would anyone choose to never do it again cos it was just to far/ boring/ hot/ fly infested/ to full of tourists etc

H...

We havent done it....yet!! But we are planning to do it....

When we go, we are going to go the Birdsville track!! Then come back down through Coober Pedy to Adelaide and then back along the Coast...

Friends of Pauls have done it and they video'd alot of the trip and its brilliant. There are LOADS of 4x4 websites online that help you plan for trips like that etc....

I will see what I have saved and send you some links.....
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:19 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I always go here before i do any trips, plenty of infomation, and the forums good. http://www.exploroz.com/Splash.asp
................... mm
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hevs
I've done it twice from Robinvale (nr Mildura, up on the Sturt Highway). I guess you'd go Dukes Hwy? Went across towards Adelaide (obviously!) to Gawler, the other time I cut the corner off and went up to Burra, then on to Port Augusta. First overnight stop was Woomera. Weird place, bit spooky, like something out of X-files! Stayed in the 'hotel' which is actually ex- hall of residence for all the scientists from the days when they did all the nuclear testing up there. (I found it so spooky that I wouldn't go to the toilet on my own at night!) Not much in Woomera really. Another time I stayed in a road house (Spud's Road House) on the Stuart Highway a bit further on from Woomera. Full of truckies, accommodation was poor but the steaks were great!

Coober pedy is worth a stop - you'll recognise the landscape from one of the Mad Max films. We stayed in an underground house (which is what much of the accommodation is). There's opal mines and a few other things to do there but you probably wouldn't want more than half a day there, maybe a day tops.

Second time I did the trip to Uluru we also went to Kings Canyon and via the Mereenie Loop Rd (4wd) back to Alice. I loved Kings Canyon, really glad I went there as the walk round the rim is pretty spectacular. Also, sunset at Uluru is a must. (Sunrise wasn't as beautiful, not on the day I went, at least!). Also stopped at the dog fence somewhere up the Stuart highway- ok, it's just a fence but erm, I like that kind of thing!

Alice Springs is worth a visit, I love the Telegraph Station and all the history behind that. Also in ALice you can listen in on the School of the Air and visit the Flying Doctor Services. There's loads of beautiful places to visit too in the MacDonnell Ranges.

Boring journey? No way, it's beautiful. I know it's all very much the same once you leave Port Augusta but that was part of the beauty - and being away from the light pollution, the sky is just amazing at night. Salt flats, eagles, dead straight roads, and the bright red soil against a piercing blue sky is just phenomenal. You'd love it all, I'm sure.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:16 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Hevs
I've done it twice from Robinvale (nr Mildura, up on the Sturt Highway). I guess you'd go Dukes Hwy? Went across towards Adelaide (obviously!) to Gawler, the other time I cut the corner off and went up to Burra, then on to Port Augusta. First overnight stop was Woomera. Weird place, bit spooky, like something out of X-files! Stayed in the 'hotel' which is actually ex- hall of residence for all the scientists from the days when they did all the nuclear testing up there. (I found it so spooky that I wouldn't go to the toilet on my own at night!) Not much in Woomera really. Another time I stayed in a road house (Spud's Road House) on the Stuart Highway a bit further on from Woomera. Full of truckies, accommodation was poor but the steaks were great!

Coober pedy is worth a stop - you'll recognise the landscape from one of the Mad Max films. We stayed in an underground house (which is what much of the accommodation is). There's opal mines and a few other things to do there but you probably wouldn't want more than half a day there, maybe a day tops.

Second time I did the trip to Uluru we also went to Kings Canyon and via the Mereenie Loop Rd (4wd) back to Alice. I loved Kings Canyon, really glad I went there as the walk round the rim is pretty spectacular. Also, sunset at Uluru is a must. (Sunrise wasn't as beautiful, not on the day I went, at least!). Also stopped at the dog fence somewhere up the Stuart highway- ok, it's just a fence but erm, I like that kind of thing!

Alice Springs is worth a visit, I love the Telegraph Station and all the history behind that. Also in ALice you can listen in on the School of the Air and visit the Flying Doctor Services. There's loads of beautiful places to visit too in the MacDonnell Ranges.

Boring journey? No way, it's beautiful. I know it's all very much the same once you leave Port Augusta but that was part of the beauty - and being away from the light pollution, the sky is just amazing at night. Salt flats, eagles, dead straight roads, and the bright red soil against a piercing blue sky is just phenomenal. You'd love it all, I'm sure.
I,ve done Adelaide -Roxby a hundred times over the last 10 years ,and still get a kick out driving that road, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, , and yes Spuds is an eye opener, but make the best burgers in oz........... mm
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we took the train to Alice and our car accompanied us. we paid for 2 Kangaroo Gold tickets (with a bed/shower compartment) and the car goes for 99 dollars

We drove from Alice to King's Canyon then Ulhuru. Coming back we drove down the Stuart Highway via Coober Pedy and into Adelaide.

From Coober we took a side trip down the Birdsville track to the dog fence and Breakaways...the weather suddenly turned and the road flooded really quickly and conditions were atrocious. A road train driver said that he could be stuck for a few days- depends how long the road takes to dry.
I was really glad we were just doing a side trip!

To do the track, you need a good 4 WD and to be prepared for most eventualities although you will always encounter some traffic ( a couple of vehicles a day).

Good luck
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

we did that three years ago and had a great time! we went along the great ocean rd, saw the roos on anglesea golf course, saw what's left of the apostles, adelaide was good (first taste of cooper's stout, went to the pie cart for a floater), left civilisation behind at port augusta, went to the fly capital of the world at glendambo:
http://suicidesurfers.org/galleries/...oadkillgirls-8
stayed at the campsite in coober pedy (in the supermarket the special was dynamite!), had a good time in alice springs (telegraph station etc etc), went to the east and west mcdonnell ranges (glen helen gorge was lovely), kata tjuta in the searing heat was amazing, and then to uluru which even though you've seen a zillion photos still looks unbelievable "in the flesh".
would we do it again?-absolutely!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

We did the reverse - Uluru to Melbourne via Coober Pedy, Adelaide, Fleurieu Peninsula, Great Ocean Road. It all depends on how long you've got! You could easily skip the GOR as it's a weekend trip from Melbourne...

We stayed in Radekas Underground Hostel in Coober Pedy - defnitely recommended. The constant temperature underground was a bonus. We stayed in the Mud Hut Motel on the way up - nice, but no huts, and a bit more pricey...

I definitely recommend the YHA in adelaide - particularly if you get a room off the main road. Very good facilities, including good internet!

We have been through Burra, and stayed the night there. If you go up that way, as HiddenPaw did, I definitely recommend the Burra Hotel. Not the most salubrious rooms, but really really good food, and own-brand port!

I loved Alice Springs. So much so that we extended our stay there by a couple of days. The telegraph station, and so much more. Just don't bother with the transport museum unless you really love trucks!

With a camper van you'll be able to stay at the campground at Yulara, which should cut down the costs! I think you can also stay somewhere about 60km from there (perhaps Kulin?) but my friend who did it said although it saved them money, the drive and timing for sunrise/sunset was a pain. Definitely recommend the barbeque at the hostel at Yulara - the "eat all the animals we have on our emblem" one. Also, go walk the valley of the winds at kata tjuta. Awesome.

I think that's it. For now. Until I think of something else. Links in my signature to our photos, so if you want to browse feel free! Whatever you do you'll have the best time. I love the outback!
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

I am lucky and went to "Ayres rock" when it was still cool to climb it, though i swear to god i nearly had a heart attack But Matt and the kids have never been. I woul like to explore way more this time though as last time we were on a tour and it was all rushed.

Whats the best months to go? and is it a must to have a four wheel drive?

Thanks again xx
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

I am lucky and went to "Ayres rock" when it was still cool to climb it, though i swear to god i nearly had a heart attack But Matt and the kids have never been. I woul like to explore way more this time though as last time we were on a tour and it was all rushed.

Whats the best months to go? and is it a must to have a four wheel drive?

Thanks again xx

I reckon it's more of an adventure to do it without the 4 wheel drive. I did this when I first came here, in a old valiant ap5 station wagon, complete with annex. Right up to Cooktown we went, or were supposed to. Fact is because I didn't have a four wheel drive, the car bottomed out on some rock strewn roads, and I copped a rock straight through the petrol tank.

I did get to stay at a place called Palmer river, whilst I hitched a ride with a local prospecter back to Mareeba then back to Palmer river, to put a salvaged tank on the old car. One week that whole process took, and we never got to Cooktown.

Yes try it without the 4WD

I'd give it a go in my EA Falcon.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

Thanks for that Eddie We will have 2 young kids with us. 3 if you count Matt

Ok. So the Crappadore will do it quite nicely then?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Eddie We will have 2 young kids with us. 3 if you count Matt

Ok. So the Crappadore will do it quite nicely then?
LOL, we will or wont we get there adds to the whole venture
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

I just reckon you're trying to get rid of me

PS Thribble could you tell me what page approx that the piccies are on? Thanks

Last edited by hevs; Jun 27th 2006 at 11:21 am.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:00 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I just reckon you're trying to get rid of me

PS Thribble could you tell me what page approx that the piccies are on? Thanks
Not content with trying to knock the mega scab off during a wild weekend on Fraser your now going for round 2 are you?
Good luck Matt is all I can say :scared:
Have fun you nutter, you could always borrow our tandem
Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:59 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi hevs,
as you know i answered your post on the other forum ( ) but just wanted to add that id def do it all again - if they still do them, the bbq at the resort is just so excellent - the true aussie barbie!!! my mouth is now watering at the 11 year old memory of barbied kanga/croc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.