Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne to Uluru??

Melbourne to Uluru??

Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne to Uluru??

Originally Posted by hevs
Thanks for all the replies.

I am lucky and went to "Ayres rock" when it was still cool to climb it, though i swear to god i nearly had a heart attack But Matt and the kids have never been. I woul like to explore way more this time though as last time we were on a tour and it was all rushed.

Whats the best months to go? and is it a must to have a four wheel drive?

Thanks again xx
I went in winter both times (August 97 and July 02). Night times were freezing...well, about 2 degrees overnight, but days were warm (but quite cool in the shade). When we stayed in the hostel (the one with the fab barbie everyone is raving about), we were in a room with no heating and you had to make a trip cross the yard to go to the toilet block.....very cold at night!
You can go on sealed roads all the way so 4WD isn't a must. EVen on the Merreenie Loop, they are only supposed to sell you a pass if you're going to travel in a 4WD but we saw cars towing caravans on there! (Wouldn't fancy it in a car in the wet, mind, and it was pretty corrugated in places).