Matty Johns

Old May 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matty Johns

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The article pointed out the worshipping of football, and the players as idols. (More than one code, as it happens). This means that both women and players end up in situations which ends in tears. The players think they are God's gift and they are beyond the pale - some women want to chase that and put themselves at risk.
Hmm, not entirely comfortable with this. How ever much a player is revered, they cannot use the excuse of extreme adulaton to lessen their personal responsibilty.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Hmm, not entirely comfortable with this. How ever much a player is revered, they cannot use the excuse of extreme adulaton to lessen their personal responsibilty.
Absolutely not but I can see where Badge is coming from. These 'sportsmen' leave the minor, amateur clubs and are suddenly paid a lot of money (especially the obscene amounts they get in the UK), they are suddenly idolised by hundreds/thousands of fans and think they are infallible and can do what they want when they want. If they are not taught in those early days a) how to handle the fame; b) how to handle the money and c) how to behave it must be very easy, and possibly expected, for them to go down the drugs/drink/abusing women route especially when they see their idols (the older more experienced players) doing exactly the same thing.

That's why the training of behaviour and mind set has to start right at the beginning. There is no real excuse though. No one forced these men to behave like that.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

in my considered opinion a legal but morally questionable act that took place prior to the commencement of an employment contract cannot be grounds for sacking somone.

I know I know!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:31 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Absolutely not but I can see where Badge is coming from. These 'sportsmen' leave the minor, amateur clubs and are suddenly paid a lot of money (especially the obscene amounts they get in the UK), they are suddenly idolised by hundreds/thousands of fans and think they are infallible and can do what they want when they want. If they are not taught in those early days a) how to handle the fame; b) how to handle the money and c) how to behave it must be very easy, and possibly expected, for them to go down the drugs/drink/abusing women route especially when they see their idols (the older more experienced players) doing exactly the same thing.

That's why the training of behaviour and mind set has to start right at the beginning. There is no real excuse though. No one forced these men to behave like that.
Then if anyone is to share accountability it should be the clubs, not the public. They pay them the ridiculous salaries that catapult them into the celebrity circus. I would expect them to educate and advise them how to handle the cash and the lifestyle sensibly. However, something as fundamental as respect for women should be a given.
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Then if anyone is to share accountability it should be the clubs, not the public. They pay them the ridiculous salaries that catapult them into the celebrity circus. I would expect them to educate and advise them how to handle the cash and the lifestyle sensibly. However, something as fundamental as respect for women should be a given.
Totally agree. From what I've read, most clubs have started running education programmes. Don't hold them or the fans culpable though. It's still totally down to the guys 100%.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As Miss Moneypenny says, they do have programmes. We saw some of these on the 4 corners programme, and they said all the right things...I wasn't that convinced myself...(thought the message seemed to be coming from inside, rather from outside the culture. But maybe that is what is needed - the players may not appreciate it from a counsellor or academic.)

During the fallout of the 4corners programme, there was also talk of respect from both sides, men and women, for each other.

I've been in situations where myself and my peers have played on the image accorded of the group we are in and it can be very powerful, well to be more exact, exciting, seeing the effect you have on people. But around the same time, I always remember my mother saying that the sooner young men and young women respect each other as people then the whole relationship thing gets a lot easier.

As a father now myself of two daughters I really agree with her!
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoanL
Mind you, I had a laugh when a former Rugby Union player, John Hopuato, recently took up boxing. I do remember his disgusting match behaviour in Rugby Union. I won't describe what he did, suffice it to say that it is appropriate that his new sport demands that he wear huge thick gloves.
Ah yes, he brought the "date finger" to the game, to add to the expression "squirrel grip".
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:42 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DrWho
Is it such an emotive subject that no one has any views they'd like to share...?
Nah - the opposite - couldn't care less.......
They were consenting adults; it was 7yrs ago; his wife has to live with him, not me; woman says she is embarrassed so why go public ??$??$; and above all - no-one's business but their own. Oh, and Tracy Grimshaw is a disingenuous bi*ch.

Originally Posted by SurferBoy
in my considered opinion a legal but morally questionable act that took place prior to the commencement of an employment contract cannot be grounds for sacking somone.

I know I know!!
Oooh - man after my own heart....... - wanna spit-roast me?
Old May 24th 2009, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Mind you, I had a laugh when a former Rugby Union player, John Hopuato, recently took up boxing. I do remember his disgusting match behaviour in Rugby Union. I won't describe what he did, suffice it to say that it is appropriate that his new sport demands that he wear huge thick gloves.[/QUOTE]

John Hopoate played rugby league not rugby union when he did what you mentioned.

As for Matty Johns, I think he has been hard done by, I know it's a touchy subject but at the end of they day he apologised to the women 7 years ago. No charges were made against him or the others. He was wrong to cheat on his missus, that is somthing a man shouldnt do. The women was a more than willing participant with what happened, she was boasting to work mates about how many rugby players she had that night and on previous nights. Matty Johns has been made the scapegoat, the other players should come out and back him up, I know some have already but more should take the flak that Matty is taking. I know someone who has played with and against Matty Johns and says he is a top bloke. Ive played rugby league back in england since the age of 12 and rugby was a big factor in why I chose the gold coast to live. I love it, I coach it now over here and I'm hoping to play again soon once injuries heal. The sport is hitting headlines for the wrong reasons and rightly so, they need to clean up there act, rugby players over here are front page news just as footballers are back in the UK. But please dont think that all rugby league players are bad news, 99% are top lads, the other 1% or maybe less bring it into disrepute.

There, Ive had my rant now on the subject, Go the titans this arvo when they will hopefully kick manly's arse
Old May 24th 2009, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Rugby league is a 'game' (it's not a sport) for meatheads so it's no surprise to see what this prick did for a living.

What a load of bollocks !!!
Old May 24th 2009, 2:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=humpy;7598715]
The women was a more than willing participant with what happened, she was boasting to work mates about how many rugby players she had that night and on previous nights.
Mighty debatable. I doubt see agreed to take on half the team before it happened... and as people have said before. Would you be thinking the same if she was your daughter?

Ive played rugby league back in england since the age of 12 and rugby was a big factor in why I chose the gold coast to live. I love it, I coach it now over here and I'm hoping to play again soon once injuries heal. The sport is hitting headlines for the wrong reasons and rightly so, they need to clean up there act, rugby players over here are front page news just as footballers are back in the UK.

Then you're involved in a sport that is now in some serious trouble. I can't imagine a worse time to piss your sponsors off than at the moment. I fully expect to see clubs, starting with the Sharks, folding and as the sport has such a limited base to begin with that's a major problem for it.

But please dont think that all rugby league players are bad news, 99% are top lads, the other 1% or maybe less bring it into disrepute
99% 'top lads' and 1%, maybe less bring it into disrepute. You're having a laugh. More than 1% of the guys playing it professionally in Oz were involved in this one single incident.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

My opinion of the matter is that she consented to sex, the interview mentioned that she asked for more to join in, she boasted about her involvement with many men after the incident. She was fully up for it and aware of what she was doing. I'm not saying it was right what the men did but this has been blown well out of proportion.

99% 'top lads' and 1%, maybe less bring it into disrepute. You're having a laugh. More than 1% of the guys playing it professionally in Oz were involved in this one single incident.[/QUOTE]

How did you work that out, there were no more than 7 lads involved in the sex scandal, There are currently over 900 individuals playing rugby professionally in Australia. That is only NRL sides and there youth set-ups, you could more than double that if you include Queensland Cup and Jim Beam Cup sides and there equivalents in other areas of Australia who are semi-professional sides which include full time professionals. Please get your figures right before you quote.
Old May 24th 2009, 10:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by humpy

How did you work that out, there were no more than 7 lads involved in the sex scandal, There are currently over 900 individuals playing rugby professionally in Australia. That is only NRL sides and there youth set-ups, you could more than double that if you include Queensland Cup and Jim Beam Cup sides and there equivalents in other areas of Australia who are semi-professional sides which include full time professionals. Please get your figures right before you quote.
16 clubs with squads of 25 comes out at 400. 7 out of 400 is more than 1% mate. If you want to start counting the 500 kids involved at the clubs as well, who could only be considered professionals with a big stretch of the imagination, and guys playing 'professionally' for not much more than a pub side, then yeah, you're right its less than 1%. I will take greater care when quoting figures in future.
Old May 24th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

tj49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoanL
His behaviour is nothing new, is it? I seem to remember the Bulldogs getting away with something similar a year or two ago. They have no respect for women, and it seems some of their female supporters have no respect for themselves. That is no excuse to use a teenager like a piece of meat though.

I would never dream of watching Rugby League - it is a boring game played by mainly misogynist men with no necks, who fling themselves in the mud in pursuit of a leather egg, and have the cheek to call it football.

I did try to watch a game once, in an attempt to understand that part of the local culture. I fell asleep in my armchair, after deciding that as for as Rugby of any description is concerned, I'll remain culturally deprived.

I mean, there's been other stuff recently - peeing in public, taking drugs....the list goes on.

Mind you, I had a laugh when a former Rugby Union player, John Hopuato, recently took up boxing. I do remember his disgusting match behaviour in Rugby Union. I won't describe what he did, suffice it to say that it is appropriate that his new sport demands that he wear huge thick gloves.
John Hopuato played rugby league not union.
Old May 24th 2009, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Mighty debatable. I doubt see agreed to take on half the team before it happened... and as people have said before. Would you be thinking the same if she was your daughter?
Depends on what she had been up to before and what she had said, what her friends said - before the media got it. If I had reason to suspect she was a willing participant at some point I would have considered her to put herself stupidly at risk and then I could have questioned everything she or we ever taught her - the torment of it, naturally. And then been pissed with the players for escalating the situation. We've all been there in some shape or form and experimented. Some of these players and girls are very young. Matty was old enough to know better however.

Originally Posted by tj49
John Hopuato played rugby league not union.
Think he played both codes....?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
16 clubs with squads of 25 comes out at 400. 7 out of 400 is more than 1% mate. If you want to start counting the 500 kids involved at the clubs as well, who could only be considered professionals with a big stretch of the imagination, and guys playing 'professionally' for not much more than a pub side, then yeah, you're right its less than 1%. I will take greater care when quoting figures in future.
Originally Posted by humpy

Don't think the stats really matter in what is a fairly small competition. It's certainly not every player in the comp or the game..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.