Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Making friends in Perth

Making friends in Perth

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making friends in Perth

Some times I think that it makes me want to go home, back to my comfort zone,

but then I balance it with the knowledge that my so called 'friends' in the uk have made little if any effort to stay in touch too.... it has been pretty one sided..

Sad little person aren't I?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007

but then I balance it with the knowledge that my so called 'friends' in the uk have made little if any effort to stay in touch too.... it has been pretty one sided..

Sad little person aren't I?
I only have afew friends from UK that bother to keep intouch with me. I email them all most weeks, with updates etc...but only afew bother to reply. At first it did upset me, but they all have their own life-style and thats fine with me now.
I have found here in Perth it is hard to make friends. I have put myself out and about, one to one meet ups etc...found some great friends. I would never do this sort of thing in UK, so it has been hard, but glad i did what i did or i would be an extremely lonely person.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Of course it does, cos your human - dont beat yourself up about it, we've all felt it at one point or another

what about the people you work with? how about arranging a night out with some of them? or join some sort of club or team - sports like netball are popular over here and a good way to make friends.

hang in there, it does take a while but you will get there.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
exactly.

i wonder how many while still in the uk went out of their way to make new arrivals feel welcome and make "proper" friends with them?

as a person who moved around quite a bit it was just as difficult getting to know people in the uk as it is here - you just have to put yourself out there, make the effort and if you get a few knockbacks dust yourself off and try again.
Completely agree with you on this Bridie, is def no easier in the UK. Have found it quite hard to make friends since moving to Dorset, it takes time. Just starting to get established after 5 years & we are off again

You have to make an effort & unless you are naturally very confident & outgoing it is not easy!