Made Redundant

Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Made Redundant

If you are resident in Australia, you are not entitled to Child Tax Credits (Allowance) in the UK

You have to inform your Tax office to stop the payments

On the P85, i filled mine in in July and have still not received my tax back, My wife however got hers back about 5 weeks ago.

I guess mine must be quite large and they are keeping it as long as possible !!!

Stu
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

noidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
If you are resident in Australia, you are not entitled to Child Tax Credits (Allowance) in the UK

You have to inform your Tax office to stop the payments

On the P85, i filled mine in in July and have still not received my tax back, My wife however got hers back about 5 weeks ago.

I guess mine must be quite large and they are keeping it as long as possible !!!

Stu
Just been reading on the official website, if you are leaving for less than 52 weeks you can continue to claim, if you leave intending to return within 52 weeks but fail to do so will you have to pay it back?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by noidea
Hi sorry for the delay in an answer to your question.

I will be working in mining.

I have an honors degree in Mining/Electrical Engineering, I served an apprenticeship at a coal mine and spent just under 10 years working in mining in the UK.

I have had 7 years out of mining working in a factory but as my main skills base was mining I have been fortunate enough for a mining company to send a representative to the UK for an interview and then offer me a position and pay quite a large amount of relocation costs.

I have had a PR visa since last December and spent time planning everything and it has all fell into place at once, I have been very fortunate with selling my house, getting redundancy and getting a job offer from in the UK all within a few months.
Where did you graduate from? I'm a CSM mining engineer... It's definitely the industry to be in, I've been out here for 3.5months (taking a year out from my degree to work in the industry) and have had several job offers already! My latest one was as recent as Friday morning.

They are pretty good at paying expenses, they flew 3 of us out here and paid for visas, accom, everything.

I'm assuming you're going to be working in one of the mines in the Hunter Valley??? Or are you working in more of a support role?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but cannot find any information anywhere else.

I have just been made redundant in the UK.

Do I need to tell anyone, ie inland revenue or such like.

I did take voluntary redundancy as we are moving to Newcastle NSW in Jan 09.

I just want to tie any loose ends here and am unsure if I need to do anything.

Mark
Hi,
Because you also haven't completed a full tax year , you will be entitled to a tax refund. Contact your tax office for relevant forms.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

noidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Where did you graduate from? I'm a CSM mining engineer... It's definitely the industry to be in, I've been out here for 3.5months (taking a year out from my degree to work in the industry) and have had several job offers already! My latest one was as recent as Friday morning.

They are pretty good at paying expenses, they flew 3 of us out here and paid for visas, accom, everything.

I'm assuming you're going to be working in one of the mines in the Hunter Valley??? Or are you working in more of a support role?
Hi

I graduated at the University of Nottingham in the UK.

I have heard about getting job offers on a regular basis as I have heard they try and poach workers from each other.

I have no plans to keep changing job like that.

I will be in a support role.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Hi

I graduated at the University of Nottingham in the UK.

I have heard about getting job offers on a regular basis as I have heard they try and poach workers from each other.

I have no plans to keep changing job like that.

I will be in a support role.

They will indeed try to poach you which is good if you didn't get the best deal on your last contract It can also be very useful in negotiations with your boss, they're very aware that it's easy to get a better offer elsewhere. It can also be incredibly annoying as we've found out, they can promise the world to hook you in then deliver very little.

So who you going to work for? If you don't mind telling me of course. I hope it's not my mob, they've been terrible so far. My blog (link below) outlines just a few of the problems we've had with them so far (not safe for work!).
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:27 pm
Krunchynutt

krunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud ofkrunchynutt has much to be proud of

They will indeed try to poach you which is good if you didn't get the best deal on your last contract It can also be very useful in negotiations with your boss, they're very aware that it's easy to get a better offer elsewhere. It can also be incredibly annoying as we've found out, they can promise the world to hook you in then deliver very little.

So who you going to work for? If you don't mind telling me of course. I hope it's not my mob, they've been terrible so far. My blog (link below) outlines just a few of the problems we've had with them so far (not safe for work!).
Probably not a good idea to post a company name on here...

Shame your company has been terrible so far, with luck it will get better for you, are you going to take a better offer when you get one or wait it out and see how it pans out.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by krunchynutt

Shame your company has been terrible so far, with luck it will get better for you, are you going to take a better offer when you get one or wait it out and see how it pans out.
I can't wait to get out of where I am. I thought that something was suspicious when I heard of how many immigrants come here then leave after they have their PR. The boss promises things but never delivers. Or, you get given really lengthy tasks to do for a promotion - couple of years at least to do them - and you wonder whether he is just giving tasks which he doesn't expect people to complete - so promotion won't happen.

What I can't understand is that he tries to do this to everyone and they just leave, but he doesn't change his ways. I heard that he was apologising to a customer for not delivering a project blaming it on staff changes. When somebody is walking out the door to another job then he will say 'lets talk about it' but it hasn't worked because the person has had enough of the games.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krunchynutt

I was meaning by PM or similar, I assume the OP is intelligent enough not to name his company on a public forum, even without saying anything bad.

I've had to sanitise my blog completely because I barely have a good word to say about them. Unfortunately I can't jump ship because they're sponsoring my visa but my boss is on my side and has been trying to organise it so I'm contracted out to another company with higher pay and good work etc etc.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I was meaning by PM or similar, I assume the OP is intelligent enough not to name his company on a public forum, even without saying anything bad.

I've had to sanitise my blog completely because I barely have a good word to say about them. Unfortunately I can't jump ship because they're sponsoring my visa but my boss is on my side and has been trying to organise it so I'm contracted out to another company with higher pay and good work etc etc.
Yeah, I reckon that it's best not to mention an employer on the net as you never know if it might bite you on the arse!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:05 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped lucky, was a few months away from leaving then company decided to get rid of people well over a years wages tax free was to hard to miss,
Are you absolutely sure on that all being tax free? When we went through a load of redundancies back in 2002/3 the co paid well over the legal award and there were potentially tax implications for some, but not all.
Juts be 100% sure before you finalise with IR.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Are you absolutely sure on that all being tax free? When we went through a load of redundancies back in 2002/3 the co paid well over the legal award and there were potentially tax implications for some, but not all.
Juts be 100% sure before you finalise with IR.
I have paid tax but not on the first £30k, the rest has been taxed at 40% but it has given a years money as net which I would normally draw as gross