British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Made Redundant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/made-redundant-575506/)

noidea Nov 27th 2008 9:57 am

Made Redundant

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but cannot find any information anywhere else.

I have just been made redundant in the UK.

Do I need to tell anyone, ie inland revenue or such like.

I did take voluntary redundancy as we are moving to Newcastle NSW in Jan 09.

I just want to tie any loose ends here and am unsure if I need to do anything.

Mark

Nu-Shooz Nov 27th 2008 10:15 am

Re: Made Redundant

Originally Posted by noidea (Post 7015080)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but cannot find any information anywhere else.

Mark

Just make sure your Tax is up to date. Pay off all your bills/debts. If you have kids, stop child allowance payments.

That's it really, get on the plane and enjoy;)

medwaymark Nov 27th 2008 10:38 am

Mark

That happened to me too....was going anyway, but when they asked for volunteers, couldn't get my hand up quick enough.

Don't remember having to tell anyone. Just kept hold on my p45 until I advised the Inland Revenue I was moving abroad. There is a bit on the p45 that tells you what to do if you are moving abroad (from memory).

Good luck.

noidea Nov 27th 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, getting excited now,

I dropped lucky, was a few months away from leaving then company decided to get rid of people well over a years wages tax free was to hard to miss, lucky for me the new employer in oz could and was willing to wait and extra 4 months.

4 odd weeks to go and counting down

spartacus Nov 27th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by noidea (Post 7016729)
Thanks for the advice, getting excited now,

I dropped lucky, was a few months away from leaving then company decided to get rid of people well over a years wages tax free was to hard to miss, lucky for me the new employer in oz could and was willing to wait and extra 4 months.

4 odd weeks to go and counting down

You lucky lucky barsteward . . .

22B Nov 28th 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 7015116)
If you have kids, stop child allowance payments.

???? because....?

kevncarlz Nov 30th 2008 9:26 pm

I was made redundant last thursday :frown:

now looking for another job until visa comes and house goes lol

kev

TheDangerousQuietOne Dec 1st 2008 3:04 am

Mark

So what are you going to be doing over here in Newcastle???

Deutschmaster Dec 2nd 2008 9:49 pm

Mark

You might get some of your PAYE tax back from the inland revenue, but I would have thought you would have to wait until the end of the tax year to do it.

Downies Dec 3rd 2008 2:47 am

Get on to the tax office, you can claim back any overestimated tax you have been paying on your salary.

Your monthly tax deductions are calculated on the basis that you will be earning this amount over a twelve month period so you will have overpaid unless you leave dot on the end of the financial year.

We got ours within three weeks of submitting the forms - cant remember the number of it though, and I did work next door to the tax office in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Inform your pension company you are leaving the country and give them a forwarding address - rent a PO box from the backpacker service companies if you dont have one.

Good luck

GracieK Dec 3rd 2008 8:42 pm

You can download form P85 from here. Notifies the Inland Revenue you are leaving to live abroad and also has a section for reclaiming overpaid tax. You'll need to get your P45 to send off with it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

noidea Dec 12th 2008 7:37 pm

Thank you for all your replies very helpful

noidea Dec 12th 2008 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne (Post 7024760)
So what are you going to be doing over here in Newcastle???

Hi sorry for the delay in an answer to your question.

I will be working in mining.

I have an honors degree in Mining/Electrical Engineering, I served an apprenticeship at a coal mine and spent just under 10 years working in mining in the UK.

I have had 7 years out of mining working in a factory but as my main skills base was mining I have been fortunate enough for a mining company to send a representative to the UK for an interview and then offer me a position and pay quite a large amount of relocation costs.

I have had a PR visa since last December and spent time planning everything and it has all fell into place at once, I have been very fortunate with selling my house, getting redundancy and getting a job offer from in the UK all within a few months.

TillyG Dec 13th 2008 12:33 am

Originally Posted by 22B (Post 7017361)
???? because....?

I was shocked by that too, 22B!

OP - sounds like you've really landed on your feet - congratulations! (seems weird saying "congrats on losing your job" but you know what I mean :) )

Agree with the others re getting tax back - I know DH & I both got some money back as we left the UK in Feb and we had paid tax based on us working all financial year. Also, notify your bank(s) as if you earn any interest while you're "ordinarily resident overseas" you can get it paid gross instead of net (not that you'll earn much interest with the rates as they are right now!)

Very best of luck to you :D

noidea Dec 14th 2008 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by TillyG (Post 7062968)
I was shocked by that too, 22B!

OP - sounds like you've really landed on your feet - congratulations! (seems weird saying "congrats on losing your job" but you know what I mean :) )

Agree with the others re getting tax back - I know DH & I both got some money back as we left the UK in Feb and we had paid tax based on us working all financial year. Also, notify your bank(s) as if you earn any interest while you're "ordinarily resident overseas" you can get it paid gross instead of net (not that you'll earn much interest with the rates as they are right now!)

Very best of luck to you :D

Thanks for the congrats...

Just read the a few back again and I am confused, I was going to cancel child allowance but now am unsure if we need to?