Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

little tiny ants.....

little tiny ants.....

Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: little tiny ants.....

We get them a lot up here, especially when rain is imminent. They get into everything, we've had them in the sugar container & right through the pantry. We just tolerate them now, the only time it's a problem is if someone with obsessive compulsive tendencies comes for a coffee, they freak out & make a big scene. T
They're just part of living where we do.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
....seem to be everywhere what's the best thing to do to get rid of them ???

they're driving me mad :curse:
"Antrid" is pretty good as they take it back to the nest. But if you get them once you'll get them again.

I particularly enjoy it when the get behind electrical sockets, make a connection between the Active and Neutral en masse and go pop! Bloody things.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
"Antrid" is pretty good as they take it back to the nest. But if you get them once you'll get them again.

I particularly enjoy it when the get behind electrical sockets, make a connection between the Active and Neutral en masse and go pop! Bloody things.
That's being geckoed.

They cost me a garage door motor control board.:curse:

Heard of them playing tag inside a $10,000 amplifier which was not a pretty sight. :curse::curse:

WW
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:23 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=oliver1982;6719118]Sugar ants

Seriously, the best thing to do is track them back to where they are coming from (window sill in my case) and put a tiny barrier of BABY POWDER around there. The ants are scared to cross the line of powder (seriously).

I can confirm that the baby powder works- also vinegar works really well
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
We get them a lot up here, especially when rain is imminent. They get into everything, we've had them in the sugar container & right through the pantry. We just tolerate them now, the only time it's a problem is if someone with obsessive compulsive tendencies comes for a coffee, they freak out & make a big scene. T
God knows why but ours always leave the sugar alone but end up committing suicide in the kettle.
donna
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:27 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Oh, I was about to ask why you got those ants in Australia, then I saw you were in Queensland!!

My advice - move south!!

I had those bastards in India and Korea, and they got into ALL food. Once or twice even into closed plastic food storage containers. I didn't realise you could get them in Australia.
I'd rather have the ants in the plastic storage containers than the large rats in Fortitude Valley(Brisbane) offices that gnaw through the plastic (Tupperware) to get at the food.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:31 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

We get them a lot up here, especially when rain is imminent. They get into everything, we've had them in the sugar container & right through the pantry. We just tolerate them now, the only time it's a problem is if someone with obsessive compulsive tendencies comes for a coffee, they freak out & make a big scene.
So if they(visitors) freakout at them, what do they say about the wildlife that feeds on your verandah rails?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:15 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
So if they(visitors) freakout at them, what do they say about the wildlife that feeds on your verandah rails?
They're considered cute:curse: I personally prefer to see them in either in nice secure cages like Timbers pet one or hanging by their legs from high voltage power lines
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:20 am

They're considered cute:curse: I personally prefer to see them in either in nice secure cages like Timbers pet one or hanging by their legs from high voltage power lines
Comeon you big softie, you really love them.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:24 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Ants use smell to navigate about so wiping something strong like peppermint along across their track will confuse them and they'll wander off elsewhere.

Also, soapy water kills them.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:53 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
....seem to be everywhere what's the best thing to do to get rid of them ???

they're driving me mad :curse:
Do they look like this........
http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/Hort/asc...cts/argant.htm
if so good luck in getting rid of them ,we have a nest in our roof.........mm
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mr mover
Do they look like this........
http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/Hort/asc...cts/argant.htm
if so good luck in getting rid of them ,we have a nest in our roof.........mm
They're a lot smaller than that.

WW
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
They're a lot smaller than that.

WW
We call those Meat ants , in this part of the world.
But are easy to get rid of just use ANTRID.....mm
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
We call those Meat ants , in this part of the world.
But are easy to get rid of just use ANTRID.....mm
Been there, done that. They show no interest in the stuff.

ww
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Oh looks like we'll have to get used to this when we move to Qld. In Auckland, NZ, ants were everywhere. I remember an Asian friend bought this amazing meringue castle for a friends birthday, with a moat and little roads and houses etc. The next day the little meringue village was populated by thousands of ants. They get into sealed containers and plastic wrapped dog roll. We used a little can with poison in it which they take home and it worked eventually. When we lived in a housebus they were in the walls and each time we travelled the dead would be shaken loose so we'd have to sweep up all these bodies when we parked. Don't know if you have Gran's Remedy in Oz (for stinky feet), but it smells just like dead ants, which I guess is better than stinky feet!

The best thing is to make sure you wipe up every crumb and put everything away in the fridge, bring in the pet bowls. Baby powder is a new one on me but sounds worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.