Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:10 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Re: LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

Oh yeah Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails and Red Wine is great!

The Divinyls too - I like quite a few of their tracks. Saw the lead singer in Adelaide when she played Judy Garland in "The Boy from Oz" opposite Hugh Jackman - excellent (both of them!!)

I must admit I like Sneaky Sound System; and my friend in Cairns saw them live recently and told me they were absolutely brilliant.

Glasgowlass, IMHO Shannon Noll definitely has that star quality. And anyone who can achieve ten consecutive top ten chart singles (I believe he's the only Australian artist to do this) must have something!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Cut Copy - Melbourne boys making it BIG in America...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

John Butler Trio , Jeff Lang, Powderfinger, Dissociatives (side project with Daniel Johns from Silverchair), Sleepy Jacksons, Xavier Rudd, Tommy Emmanuel,
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Holbrob is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen Derrin Nauendorf a couple of times in the UK. He seems to spend most of his time in the UK now. Check him out on You Tube, excellent Guitar work!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:19 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine M
I like some newer stuff by Living End (I love White Noise), Faker, Vanessa Amorosi and Shannon Noll, but some of my Aussie friends seem to dismiss home grown music on principle in favour of UK and American bands, and I'm not sure why.
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Kylie
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:41 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

John Butler Trio, Sneaky Sound System, The Beautiful Girls, Sleepy Jackson, The Divinyls, Eskimo Joe, The Cat Empire, Something for Kate, Augie March, Gotye, Josh Pyke, Dallas Crane

Yeah there's a few I like.

Originally Posted by hevs
Beats me.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:50 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
And what about Men At Work ?!

Em x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You could start with my next door neighbours.... Luckily they did a proffessional job in Sound proofing their shed. They get played regularly on indie radio shows in the UK. I get a free gig (practice) around 3 days a week, and they are helping my kids with their instruments.... I reckon my 10 year old is already a better drummer

If you want bands...Come to Brunswick Melbourne.

Jape Squad.

http://www.spookyrecords.com/The%20J...d%20Audio.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2009 at 4:04 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:46 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emelems
And what about Men At Work ?!

Em x
I can't believe I forgot to mention them!

Down Under was my anthem when I was waiting to migrate to Aus.....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine M
I love Shannon Noll's music, he's just about to go over to try to crack the UK - he has a gig in London in March and then he's touring with Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds musical in June - I'm going to see that at the Hallam FM arena in Sheffield when I come over on a visit!
Anyone still in the UK who heard Shannon Noll's track Shine on the cricket coverage on Channel 5 - or booked to go see him at the Borderline on March 3?

I'm dying to be able to tell some of my Aussie friends that one of our homegrown stars is famous in the old country - they don't believe it's possible!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:06 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to most thing under the sun and as far as Oz bands/singers go, ( in no particular order) I seem to be mostly listening Jimmy Barnes, Eskimo Joe, John Butler Trio, Kasey Chambers, AC/DC (told you I liked variety), even John Farnham out of Oz ones.... but especially love Missy Higgins!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I loved INXS and Icehouse when I was in my early teens (mid 80s). At the time, I had an Aussie penpal who loved Bros (who I hated at the time; strangely don't mind them now). We used to mail each other posters and clippings - I gave her Bros stuff and she sent me INXS and Icehouse stuff.

Don't know if today's teenagers are really into the poster lark but it was the equivalent of collecting art (or ringtones!) for me and my friends! There was something magical about receiving letters from Australia containing posters that no-one else had! I used to give all my mates updates on neighbours and home and away too - I can still remember the mass intake of breath and the tantalised exclamations e.g. "A SHARK comes to Summer Bay???!!!" when I read out my letters to schoolfriends.

I remember one morning waking up to discover that my sister and cousin had turned every poster on my wall upside down, because they were nearly all australian bands. Wasn't impressed at the time!

But generally speaking, a lot of Aussie bands don't really get airplay in the UK. My partner introduced me to Powderfinger when we were still living in the UK, but they had virtually no profile there. It's only now we're here that i realise how big they are in Australia.

Anyway, thanks to the internet, it's not too hard to check out music anywhere else in the world these days.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

GUFF will become famous soon enough

I'm partial to a bit of Powderfinger myself but they might not be everyones kind of scene.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hunters and Collectors
Cold Chisel
Ice House
Flowers
The Church
Hilltop Hoods
Air Supply
Kate Cebrano
Wendy Matthews
Pseudo Echo
Uncanny X men .... Brian Mannix is a nut case
Xavier Rudd

Something for everyone there.

Hunters and Collectors name should have been mentioned before now
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hunters and Collectors name should have been mentioned before now
See post # 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.