Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:31 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Smile LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted, so forgive me if this question has already been asked

I've been here four years and I've been listening to current home-grown music and stuff from the last twenty years or so (didn't always realise it was back catalogue stuff until someone told me lol). I've found I quite like a lot of Aussie music but I've spoken to a number of my UK and Aussie friends here, and a lot of them either haven't listened (mostly the UK people) or don't rate it (both UK and Aussie people).

Anyone else made a point of listening to Aussie bands and singers either before or after they migrated, as part of the process of getting into the culture?

If you have, how do you rate what you've heard?

Elaine
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: LIstening to Australian bands/singers?

I certainly wouldn't make a point of listening to Aussie bands/singers to get into the culture, simply because most of the music I hear on radio stations seems to be American. With the occasional AC/DC, INXS or Midnight Oil flung in.

In saying that, the one Aussie artist I've discovered that I like is Kasey Chambers.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:05 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We always listened to Paul Kelly when we were in the UK... OH used to listen to him when he lived in Byron Bay back in the early 90s.. then we got together and I find it is my "its feel like summer" album (Comedy album)..

We put it on over here, but I felt a bit embarrassed to be listening to it for some odd reason! Like I was trying too hard?! (which I wasnt, btw, just felt that way for some reason!)

Em x
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:17 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

have been here 3 1/2 years now and like you started to get used to and enjoying certain tunes that I would hear on the radio and yeah, it weird not knowing how old the tracks were or any of the history attached to them. I have recently started writing a list of the songs I like.
Its funny as there are some bands that I have found that I think are truly awful, (yet this opinoin is blasphemous) -cold chisel for example I think are no better than a pub band and the song Holy Grail by the hunters and collectors makes me laugh every time I hear it-it's surely a joke song right? its soo awful.
But I'm loving things like mondo rock -cool world, the angels- am I ever gonna see your face again and daddy cool- eagle rock, and paul kelly- to her door -all oldies but goodies to me.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:15 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by squeezzii
have been here 3 1/2 years now and like you started to get used to and enjoying certain tunes that I would hear on the radio and yeah, it weird not knowing how old the tracks were or any of the history attached to them. I have recently started writing a list of the songs I like.
Its funny as there are some bands that I have found that I think are truly awful, (yet this opinoin is blasphemous) -cold chisel for example I think are no better than a pub band and the song Holy Grail by the hunters and collectors makes me laugh every time I hear it-it's surely a joke song right? its soo awful.
But I'm loving things like mondo rock -cool world, the angels- am I ever gonna see your face again and daddy cool- eagle rock, and paul kelly- to her door -all oldies but goodies to me.
Good choices squeezzii! I'd add Icehouse - Great Southern Land (maybe you have to see Young Einstein to 'get' that one) and (dare I say it) Australian Crawl and also the Hoodoo Gurus, some of their songs have just got into my head as being 'iconic' Aussie music. I like the Bodyrockers too, they were great - and I think they were a British/Australian duo.

I like some newer stuff by Living End (I love White Noise), Faker, Vanessa Amorosi and Shannon Noll, but some of my Aussie friends seem to dismiss home grown music on principle in favour of UK and American bands, and I'm not sure why.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Spiderbait!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:38 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

of the modern ozzie bands I think that powderfinger are pretty good
and of the older stuff Icehouse's great southern land is pretty fab, the choirboys- run to paradise, gangajang- sounds of then (this is australia) and the screaming jets - better and mental as anything - too many times are some more of my likes
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Frente
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ooo Lana De Angelis!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's colleagues keep sending him home with music and movies as part of his induction.

He's currently very into The Presets, but then he doesn't have a lot of taste. Actually it's not that bad but reminds me of some early 90s British dance music, very derivative. The Prodigy, perhaps.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii
of the modern ozzie bands I think that powderfinger are pretty good
and of the older stuff Icehouse's great southern land is pretty fab, the choirboys- run to paradise, gangajang- sounds of then (this is australia) and the screaming jets - better and mental as anything - too many times are some more of my likes
Ooh yes didn't think to mention all of those, I like them too!

Silverchair - I love Straight lines and was amazed when my daughter emigrated here in 2007 and hadn't heard of Silverchair.

I guess it's hard for Aussie bands to break into the UK or US markets but much easier the other way around.

I love Shannon Noll's music, he's just about to go over to try to crack the UK - he has a gig in London in March and then he's touring with Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds musical in June - I'm going to see that at the Hallam FM arena in Sheffield when I come over on a visit!

Anyone else want to admit to liking an ex-Idol contestant? (what is it with that anyway? If someone's successful, what does it matter how they got started?)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:39 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

have to admit he's not really my cup of tea but wouldn't rush to turn over the radio when he comes on unlike sneaky sound system (repetetive dross)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've never watched Australian Idol (and my knowledge of the UK version ends with Will Young ) but IMHO the contestants can usually sing better, live, than most "stars". Whether or not they have that special something to be stars is another matter.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Aus in 1990 and at only 20 I wanted to find out about the Aus music so trotted off to a wee record shop at Glenelg and asked for some pointers. I bought some cassettes of Icehouse,Hunters & Collectors, The Divynals,1927 and others over time. Recent likes are eskimo Joe and sneaky sound system.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:41 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

oh yeah Elaine one other that I love-yet is a uk band, though the song wasnt a hit in uk (not sure if released in uk even) and that is underworld -underneath the radar. love it love it love it. Am amazed that they are the same underworld that did 'born slippy' (trainspotting) but when playing live underneath the radar isnt featured on their playlist- guess they've moved on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.