Lets Get Fit!!

Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets Get Fit!!

Originally Posted by renth
For me it's mainly about having the stamina to do my role as a bush firefighter, you are not required to be extremely fit but it helps immensely if you want to be effective. We work long shifts in extreme heat and have to carry charged hoses around.

Yeah I can imagine you needing to be fit for a role like that, runnings great for building up stamina.

High intensity and short duration would work best, or so I'm told.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They have massively reduced in recent years in fact for reasons (outside my control) I will not go into.

It's interesting Renth : (and the reason for my answer) : Most of our incidents are of the type that you go to the incident - a younger bloke will do all the fast stuff and then people of all ages seem to handle the hoses. We all could be back in 20mins. I could be wrong here but it sometimes seems the bigger older, stouter guys have no aerobic fitness but can hawl a hose.

My view is that days and weeks at out big bush fires are where these older, stouter gentlemen can get caught out. But some of these guys won't volunteer - or they pace themselves- often they are tradies and am used to being on their feet. But I don't think I have ever met a vol firie who was a pure fitness freak.
Are women allowed to be bush firefighters?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I don't get that you have to sacrifice anything (except portion size).

I can understand if someone has a trigger food they might want to avoid it, or if they have intolerances or allergies, or even have religious or ethical reasons for avoiding something... but you can have anything you want so long as you build it into a healthy calorie level (if you're wanting to lose weight)

The problem with a lot of people who are trying to lose weight (sorry, I know this is a get fit thread, not a lose weight thread) is that they want instant results so eat a ridiculously small amount of food, end up starving and binge eat, get disheartened and give up. The same can be true with exercise too - they go mad, hurt themselves or don't see a difference and then go back to their previous sedentary ways. Instead of starting slow and building on success it's all about NOW NOW NOW!!!

It feels like I'm just disagreeing with you all over the place today

I agree with some of what you say, you're right when you say starving and binge eating doesn't work, in most cases the person who does that will end up weighing more. Also people who just dive into intense exercise without building their fitness levels up gradually. They will hurt themselves, I once did just that, when I went to a fitness class that I'm sure was designed for marine commandos.

But I do believe you need to sacrifice certain foods to be 'healthy'

Slim doesn't always mean healthy, I know a few slim people who eat absolute crap, my mate being one of them they just don't eat a lot of it, therefore they never get fat.

I eat a healthy 1500 calories a day during the week, give or take 50.

I have a lot of food, 3 good meals in fact, but no crap at all and I feel full and satisfied because the food I eat is of a high nutritional value.

If I know I will be a lot more active than normal on a particular day then I eat a lot more calories on that day.

It's took me a while to find out what works best for me, and I believe I've found it. Everyone is different in how they live their lifestyles, not everyone likes keeping fit and that's fine but I don't know anyone who likes being fat.

This bit of information is quite useful below for those of you who don't already know it.

Your current weight x 12 = calories needed to maintain your weight.

To lose 2lb a week cut a thousand calories a day.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

This bit of information is quite useful below for those of you who don't already know it.

Current weight in lb? In kg I wouldn't have 1000 cal to cut!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Are women allowed to be bush firefighters?
Absolutely! we have 4 women in our brigade (out of about 50).
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:19 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Because eating a small bowl of sugar isn't the same as eating a large bowl of vegetables.

Thin people eat fat and fat people eat sugar.
Well of course it isn't the same, nutrition wise. But if you take sugar in your tea and you can build that into a balanced calorie deficit, you're better taking the sugar than using a sugar substitute.

Fat people eat fat too.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:26 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

But I do believe you need to sacrifice certain foods to be 'healthy'
Which foods would those be?

Current weight using which units? Is that going to give you BMR or TDEE?

And people really shouldn't be aiming to lose 2lb a week unless they have a substantial amount of weight to lose.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most brigades would love to have more women. Molly. It's all good.
It takes all sorts to staff an operational station.

But I personally would like to see raised levels of fitness but there is a school of thought that you would lose most of your volunteers if a test was introduced so we look the other way!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with some of what you say, you're right when you say starving and binge eating doesn't work, in most cases the person who does that will end up weighing more. Also people who just dive into intense exercise without building their fitness levels up gradually. They will hurt themselves, I once did just that, when I went to a fitness class that I'm sure was designed for marine commandos.
The Corps are good at doing annoying little exercises - it keeps them trim for their Blue Peter appearances. I've said it before - they teach a particular skill which is up there with one of the most useful things I have ever been taught - the regain back up on to a rope when you and all your gear are hanging off it (at this point 99.9pc of the population will drop into the water tank - in to the river etc) I tried to get that skill on to the programme of an infantry company..

That rope skill has saved me from getting wet and in all sorts of benign situations. Once you know how to do it it is quite easy, but initially it takes a lot of strength before technique assists.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 25th 2014 at 9:49 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Well of course it isn't the same, nutrition wise. But if you take sugar in your tea and you can build that into a balanced calorie deficit, you're better taking the sugar than using a sugar substitute.

Fat people eat fat too.
You're better off not taking the sugar at all. Nutrition is the only thing that matters.

You said that the only thing needed was portion control, so a bowl is a bowl is a bowl. What matters is what's in the bowl, not the size of the bowl (portion control). All calories are not created equal.

Fat people do eat fat but they didn't get fat by eating fat.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Current weight in lb? In kg I wouldn't have 1000 cal to cut!
Lol yep in lbs, obviously this guide is only for people who need to lose weight.
Attached Thumbnails Lets Get Fit!!-image.jpg  
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, that's good, good for them!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
You're better off not taking the sugar at all. Nutrition is the only thing that matters.

You said that the only thing needed was portion control, so a bowl is a bowl is a bowl. What matters is what's in the bowl, not the size of the bowl (portion control). All calories are not created equal.

Fat people do eat fat but they didn't get fat by eating fat.
Totally agree, check this article out I had sent to me some time ago.

I was once a sugar addict, and I actually didn't realise it, I still haven't cut it out of my diet completely, as I do love sweet treats. They are my vice, but I have cut back a lot. It didn't help me being brought up with lots of baking and cakes in the house that my mum and gran use to bake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ur-health.html
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The Corps are good at doing annoying little exercises - it keeps them trim for their Blue Peter appearances. I've said it before - they teach a particular skill which is up there with one of the most useful things I have ever been taught - the regain back up on to a rope when you and all your gear are hanging off it (at this point 99.9pc of the population will drop into the water tank - in to the river etc) I tried to get that skill on to the programme of an infantry company..

That rope skill has saved me from getting wet and in all sorts of benign situations. Once you know how to do it it is quite easy, but initially it takes a lot of strength before technique assists.

Oh C' mon! That's not fair ....annoying little excerises? Lol

Look at this badge, they have it tough believe me, and this is just a little of what they have to do.
http://youtu.be/IhmYmnjXu3U
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm organising a team at work for the Global Corporate Challenge, 7 poor sods pay $30 (subsidised from $99) to get 2 FitBit like pedometers some smartphone app and smash the others with our combined greatness.

Should be fun, a good team talking point and a side-effect maybe getting a bit fitter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.