Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:27 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Don't let anyone come who actually loves you. Especially parents. At some point they will break down and ask you not to go, leaving you an emotional wreck. Invite people you know will look for a cheap Aussie holiday, they will be only to glad to send you off with their email address and phone number.
My Mum was fantastic until we took her home and she held me in a vice tight grip, wailing, "Ma Bairn!" for 1hr 25 mins. By the time I boarded the plane I felt like Pol Pot.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:28 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

We put out a book for people to leave messages and asked them to bring a photo along so that we could make up a collage and hang it on the wall.
My best friend and his girlfriend bought us all St Christoper necklaces which I though was rather sweet.

Enjoy the party
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon PP has come up with what would possibly be the most amazing leaving present. Awesome idea.

But like a couple of others have said, take tissues. I wouldn't not invite family - they'd be likely to be put out (and I think rightly so) and not everyone's family breaks down and asks you not to go, so you may be alright there!

Oh, and don't be surprised if you burst into tears over someone you never thought you would. Its a very emotional time - be warned.

Then have a bloody brilliant time, fantastic flight, and be here for the tail end of summer
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My sister did a fantastic photomontage of the rest of the family, and the parents and staff of the preschool clubbed together and bought me a purse with Aussie dollars in it, and a friend gave me one of each UK coin. OH was given board shorts that were loud, and an aussie hat! DD got a necklace from her bf. I gave everyone things that I wanted to keep in the family but couldn't take with us, and people brought wine to keep the party going. We had so much that people ended up taking it home!!!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=carolinephillips;8201751]I gave everyone things that I wanted to keep in the family but couldn't take with us,QUOTE]

Yes, we did that! It was nice to leave mementos. They ranged from aesthetic (e.g. wooden tiger wall hanging) to practical (blow up bed!!). Plus my mother inherited stuff of great sentimental value that was a no-no for AQUIS including porcupine quills, peacock feathers and my entire collection of shells and stones.

When my friends went the year before us, they had a wishing tree (newly weds).

Agree that PP's idea is the fabbest though!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:41 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rainydaze;8203043]
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I gave everyone things that I wanted to keep in the family but couldn't take with us,QUOTE]

Yes, we did that! It was nice to leave mementos. They ranged from aesthetic (e.g. wooden tiger wall hanging) to practical (blow up bed!!). Plus my mother inherited stuff of great sentimental value that was a no-no for AQUIS including porcupine quills, peacock feathers and my entire collection of shells and stones.

When my friends went the year before us, they had a wishing tree (newly weds).

Agree that PP's idea is the fabbest though!
Although I am still waiting for my sister to finish my DVD - they have the footage just havent put it to a DVD.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:48 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

We had fabulous presents that I really appreciated. everyone knew we were travelling and all bought appropriate presents. If they didnt I would have said thank you and ebayed them. Its not to you to dictate the present giving in this situation (like in a wedding). I woudl just enjoy your friends and their company - you will miss them soon enough (thats not a bad thing but you do)
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

nevster is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just ask for something that is waterproof, untearable and colorful. The more of it the better!