Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

Ok folks, you've helped me with manys a thing on here, can you help me with this one? Ok...we're gonna have our leaving party on Friday the 29th January in the local British Legion, and we then leave Northern Ireland on Monday the 1st February. We feel there's no point in having a leaving party much sooner, because you say goodbye to people then bump into them again the following week/month etc lol

Anyhoo, heres the quandry. Quite a few of our friends and family are hopefully going to be there. Now we have never emigrated before, so aren't quite sure of the score, but I know if it was my friend leaving, I'd want to give them a gift of some description. This is where the problem comes in, all of our wordly goods will have already left the UK at the beginning of January so we'll be left with just our suitcases and our rubbish 30kg luggage allowance, so obviously gifts aren't gonna fit in our suitcases, are they? So, I'm sitting here writing a text to send to friends to invite them to our wee doo, and obviously we want to deter them from buying gifts, but know they'll be disappointed at not being able to show us a farewell gesture. So I'm sure this situation is not unique, what have other people done/suggested to their friends/family? PLEASE HELP, AS I'M REALLY STUCK!!!???
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving Party Help - this is a tough one!

We didn't get any leaving gifts lol...well actually my mum bought me a necklace.
You will have to be honest with people and tell them that showing up to the party is far more important than gifts...
If you do get gifts then how about boxing them up and sending them over to OZ later ( a relative could do it for you).
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We just got loads of cards. It never crossed my mind that someone would buy a gift (actually we got a framed photo) ad I'd have been embarrassed if people did.

I think all you can do is not pre-empt it and if you get anything post it over.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:16 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We didn't get any leaving gifts lol...well actually my mum bought me a necklace.
You will have to be honest with people and tell them that showing up to the party is far more important than gifts...
If you do get gifts then how about boxing them up and sending them over to OZ later ( a relative could do it for you).
That's the thing though, I know of a few people who have already been discussing gifts, thus my wondering how I will put it to them. I most definitely see your point, the best gift will be to actually have our friends and family, all together in the one room, for the very last time before we fly. Appreciate your help NS....hope you had a good Christmas!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

You could ask them to get you electronic vouchers from shops where you can (a) shop online and that (b) deliver to Australia. Amazon, and Marks & Spencer spring to mind.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:38 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ask them if they could bring a photo of themselves so you can make an album and just explain your luggage predicament.Maybe make light of it and have a 'who can give the smallest yet brilliant gift' competition lol!

I only got one gift (that I recall ) .....My Mum emotionally gave me both her blessing and also her treasured heart locket that she got from her Dad on her 21st Birthday. She did this just before I walked out of my house for the last time She wore this locket on her Wedding Day, it was the 'borrowed' thing on mine and I wore it at her Funeral. It has faded pictures of my Mum and Dad inside

All the best for you leaving Party Jen.....take lots of photos

Jan xx
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I'd ask them if they could bring a photo of themselves so you can make an album and just explain your luggage predicament.Maybe make light of it and have a 'who can give the smallest yet brilliant gift' competition lol!

I only got one gift (that I recall ) .....My Mum emotionally gave me both her blessing and also her treasured heart locket that she got from her Dad on her 21st Birthday. She did this just before I walked out of my house for the last time She wore this locket on her Wedding Day, it was the 'borrowed' thing on mine and I wore it at her Funeral. It has faded pictures of my Mum and Dad inside

All the best for you leaving Party Jen.....take lots of photos

Jan xx
Awww thanku Jan, that was a very special gift indeed x
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the 'no gifts please due to luggage limits'.

Enjoy & take tissues!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Gifts are not important at all, as you say the company is the most treasured.

But what you could suggest is if someone could organise video recording the whole event, pass the camcorder along to each person to leave a message. Get footage of the night, of your family/friends and of yourself enjoying your night with them all.

Get them to put it onto a DVD and post it to you.

The best present ever and far better than anything they could have bought you.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:20 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

But what you could suggest is if someone could organise video recording the whole event, pass the camcorder along to each person to leave a message. Get footage of the night, of your family/friends and of yourself enjoying your night with them all.

WOW that's a really good idea, and my my, what a raunchy avatar! lol
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
WOW that's a really good idea, and my my, what a raunchy avatar! lol
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Great idea!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok folks, you've helped me with manys a thing on here, can you help me with this one? Ok...we're gonna have our leaving party on Friday the 29th January in the local British Legion, and we then leave Northern Ireland on Monday the 1st February. We feel there's no point in having a leaving party much sooner, because you say goodbye to people then bump into them again the following week/month etc lol

Anyhoo, heres the quandry. Quite a few of our friends and family are hopefully going to be there. Now we have never emigrated before, so aren't quite sure of the score, but I know if it was my friend leaving, I'd want to give them a gift of some description. This is where the problem comes in, all of our wordly goods will have already left the UK at the beginning of January so we'll be left with just our suitcases and our rubbish 30kg luggage allowance, so obviously gifts aren't gonna fit in our suitcases, are they? So, I'm sitting here writing a text to send to friends to invite them to our wee doo, and obviously we want to deter them from buying gifts, but know they'll be disappointed at not being able to show us a farewell gesture. So I'm sure this situation is not unique, what have other people done/suggested to their friends/family? PLEASE HELP, AS I'M REALLY STUCK!!!???
People gave us cash which we found quite crude but meant with best intentions so we spent it on the kids as that was why we came here in the first place.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

One of our dearest friends put our 'best bits' on DVD, a mix of all of the events, parties that we had been to with them (there were lots to choose from over the years) and set them to music. Have to say we all shed a tear and we play it often. For me personalised gifts of this type mean the most.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:19 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Unless they buy you a grand piano its hardly going to be an issue to ship what ever is given over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.