A League 2012/13

Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A League 2012/13

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Well my point wasn't about the standard of football here, it was more around the spark within WSW and the struggles it will have that a club such as FC United of Manchester didnt have as they had the journey of seeking promotion every year. WSW don't have that and I feel it will not maintain the same following over the next few years.
Personally I disagree as the A league will hopefully grow with these new clubs... there are lots of directions this fledgling league can take, it's still finding it's way. The A league itself is more likely to fold before WSW's fan base drops off.... tryanny and costs of distance etc etc... Somehow or other the A league to gain financial strength are going to have to try and bring in the Sydney Olympics and South Melbourne Hellas.... It needs to be in a strong enough and non ethnic aligned position to take them on first.

If you find some Greeks to talk to, you'll find that a majority of them have refused to follow the A league because of the slight that the formation of the A league has caused to their very old and well followed clubs. Bringing them into the fold, could boost A league attendance by a huge margin.

There's a hell of lot of ethnic based undercurrent to get through before football is home and hosed in this country yet. With Melbourne being the 2nd biggest Greek populated city in the world they are a big deal for the future of the A league.

Basically what I'm saying is the situaton is still very complicated..... A true Ethnic tightrope

Genuine question.......There was a strong fear down here that WSW was going to be a predominately Serbian club, has any of those signs shown up so far ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 7th 2013 at 2:27 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are plenty of reasons as to why the A League doesnt have a massive following right now and one of them is the fact that the league is over for many clubs half way through the season. It's only interesting at the top. Whereas, in other countries where they have tiered divisions, the fight at the bottom of the league always goes right to the last day. I think thats really what needs to change. If the clubs aren't there to make a lower tier, then perhaps a points penalty for the bottom 1 or two clubs going into the next season.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think there are plenty of reasons as to why the A League doesnt have a massive following right now and one of them is the fact that the league is over for many clubs half way through the season. It's only interesting at the top. Whereas, in other countries where they have tiered divisions, the fight at the bottom of the league always goes right to the last day. I think thats really what needs to change. If the clubs aren't there to make a lower tier, then perhaps a points penalty for the bottom 1 or two clubs going into the next season.
I 100 pct understand you POV... problem is it's not financially viable. The best they'll be able to do at present is involve the other clubs in a cup competition. When the A league goes free to air next year, they are expecting a huge jump in interest.

Compared to before, the A league has a massive following.... So it's got something right. 2 things in my mind will help football grow... thats Australia doing well in the World cup... just qualifying is enough actually. Plus the ace up the sleeve for all domestic football of any code in this country... The A league is the only code that can bring in meaningful international competion... that IMO is where the interest will come from.

Have you seen the WSW and MV's international competion...pretty impressive scenes from their home bases... imagine a final with this on free to air... think what could happen if WSW play this mob... Free to air in close to prime time. Marketed carefully this could really get the average Aussie going.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 7th 2013 at 3:05 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Genuine question.......There was a strong fear down here that WSW was going to be a predominately Serbian club, has any of those signs shown up so far ?
Dont know why that was. Parramatta is right next to the Hills District whose population has a large percentage of residents from UK. Many guys from the Hills have played fitba' since the under 6s as my 4 have. One, like most of his mates joined WSW club, another came down from the Coast for the match yesterday, he supports the Mariners. There is a very diverse population out this way who want this club to succeed. Unfortunately, as usual, you have a few idiots who get the club a bad name but it is only a few despite what the media infer.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Dont know why that was. Parramatta is right next to the Hills District whose population has a large percentage of residents from UK. Many guys from the Hills have played fitba' since the under 6s as my 4 have. One, like most of his mates joined WSW club, another came down from the Coast for the match yesterday, he supports the Mariners. There is a very diverse population out this way who want this club to succeed. Unfortunately, as usual, you have a few idiots who get the club a bad name but it is only a few despite what the media infer.

I'm not sure why either... Twas the ethnics telling me this... Macdeonians and Croatians.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm not sure why either... Twas the ethnics telling me this... Macdeonians and Croatians.
Don't know of any Macedonian or Croatian communities around Parramatta, but there are plenty of Lebonese and Indians.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

No sign of an ethnic majority yet at WSW and I don't think there will be. Seems to be a very broad cross section of supporters attend the games as far as I can see.

I consider the WSW catchment as a very borad one. It goes from the more affluent suburbs around Srathfield, Epping, Carlingford and North Parramatta right out to Campbelltown! So many communities covered! Many are staying loyal to Sydney United or Olympic.

I don't think Sydney is ready yet for an a cup competition including sides from the old NSL and I certainly wouldn't open the door to Olympic joining the comp just yet! I have actually always considered Sydney Olympic as encroaching on Eastern Sydney's territory rather than on WSW. Eastern Sydney claim the shire and down that way where Olympic are big. If Olympic being introduced to the competition sends the blue scum bust then I would be all for it.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon77
No sign of an ethnic majority yet at WSW and I don't think there will be. Seems to be a very broad cross section of supporters attend the games as far as I can see.

I consider the WSW catchment as a very borad one. It goes from the more affluent suburbs around Srathfield, Epping, Carlingford and North Parramatta right out to Campbelltown! So many communities covered! Many are staying loyal to Sydney United or Olympic.

I don't think Sydney is ready yet for an a cup competition including sides from the old NSL and I certainly wouldn't open the door to Olympic joining the comp just yet! I have actually always considered Sydney Olympic as encroaching on Eastern Sydney's territory rather than on WSW. Eastern Sydney claim the shire and down that way where Olympic are big. If Olympic being introduced to the competition sends the blue scum bust then I would be all for it.
I hope we get you lot in the Grand Final Show erm a bit of reality. Are you by any chance coming down on the 13th Feb for the MV game. Looking forwards to singing to your lot "Whats it like to see a crowd"

We have a South End booze cruise organised for up and down the Yarra on that day for 3 hours prior to the game.... over 150 people going on it. 50 bucks all you can eat and drink... so should be well tanked come the game. really looking forwards to that one.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon77

Now that is not very nice!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now that is not very nice!
Yehp..... The A League really needs the rivalry still.

I'd go with "seeing them thrashed 5-0 every game"
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

With all the Croats at the club the serbians have actually stayed away in their droves.

Gibbo take a trip to cabramatta once in a while. It's like being in the former Yugoslavia.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martin1978
With all the Croats at the club the serbians have actually stayed away in their droves.

Gibbo take a trip to cabramatta once in a while. It's like being in the former Yugoslavia.
Cabramatta is hardly Parramatta! I very seldom venture to Parramatta these days,used to years ago, so there's buckley's chance of me visiting Cabramatta!
I will, however, ask my son about the prevalence of Croatians in the WSW club.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cabramatta is hardly Parramatta! I very seldom venture to Parramatta these days,used to years ago, so there's buckley's chance of me visiting Cabramatta!
I will, however, ask my son about the prevalence of Croatians in the WSW club.
One thing which came about from mixing closely with all the different ethnic types at the football was solve the mystery language that I couldnt work out for the life of me. I had heard it time and time again around Coburg and Preston..... turned out to be Macedonian. I actually had to ask point blank what lanaguage a particular group was talking. Weird innit... Come to Australia to sort out the various Balkan and further eastern European Languages. Seems a bit strange to me that they would talk this amongst themselves as 2nd generation people on an away trip with a group of MV fans..... There again I dont walk in their shoes. Once things get going they certainly mix freely with everyone.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just witnessed the single best performance in the A league todate..... Normally these old stars come here to have an easy life and just get by on their old legendry status. . I've not seen as good a performance by any of these so called marquee players as just then.

4 goals by Del Piero... I was a non believer about that bloke.... what a fantastic player.... Made Robbie Fowler's A league performances look like a cart horse.

Slightly trepedatious about playing Sydney FC next week now... they are definitely in form.

Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Melbourne Victory in line for the title after tonight.... poor game but still winning... and most importantly getting slightly better every game.

After todays performances and those of the last couple of weeks... looks like its back to the old guard.... Sydney FC coming strong at the last corner.

Closest finish in the short history of the A league coming up I reckon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.