Lap Band Surgery

Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:52 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lap Band Surgery

Originally Posted by northernbird
I feel the same, losing 65 kilos is something I just can't get my head around doing usual regular diet and exercise. The skinny folk would argue that we were taking the easy way out but if you read the forums dedicated to lap banding you realise that this most definitely not the easy route. I have wasted enough of my life being fat and the second part of my life, the part where I get to have confidence and not be looked down upon because of how I look, starts on Tuesday with my first appointment. Will keep in touch.
I don't think for one minute that it's the easy way out... not that I'm skinny, but I've lost over 45 kilos so far. I know people who've lost more both ways, through diet and through the lap band surgery. What is clear from the lap band surgery is that if you're so addicted to food, you can actually cheat it, sadly. It doesn't teach you about how to eat or how to keep the weight off... it's merely a calorie restriction method..

And then I know people who've succeeded by both methods.

In my case, I was craving carbs because of my thyroid illness and gaining weight because of it. Now I'm optimally treated, I neither crave food, nor do I put on weight and I'm currently slim with another 20kilos to lose which I'll do once I'm motivated to do so. That makes it approx 65+ kilos in all. And I had a life whilst I did it, still drank alcohol and enjoyed my food.

I really think you need to find what works for you. That's the bottom line. No-one can judge anyone else for being overweight. It's a sodding miserable existence if you don't like it.... but then there are those who are happy to weigh more. It's merely down to keeping healthy at the end of it all. Fat and healthy, thinner and healthy... it's what you're happy with.

There's no easy way out. There's no magic bullet.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Sep 14th 2008 at 4:56 am.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
I have looked into this, I am currently taking Reductil and if thats doesnt work for me then I will be looking at my other options.
s
Good luck on Tuesday
Hi,

My doctor put me on reductil and it did not work. I m now on Duromine and although tis works ok I can not stay on it forever. I find that if I go off it I go back to my old way of eating. Side effects are not that nice either, you do not sleep while on them.. The amount of times my hubby has got up to go to work and the house has been spotless and his lunch made for him is unbelievable,

I have tried every diet going over the years.

This is not an easy cop out and I know that it takes a lot of hard work and determination to succeed even with the lap band but I have got to do something. Even though I have always been overweight all my life up until the last 5 years I have always beem fit which I am now not I have high blood pressure and if I go get my bloods done like my doctor wants me to before my next appointment with him I am sure my blood sugars will be high.

I am 45 this year, I started a new life by coming to Australia and now want to do it as fit as I can (I am presently going to the gym, so I am not just thinking this is a miracle cure)

I want to walk the dog without having my knees and ankles ache
I want to go to the beach and not be self concious I live on the gold coast
I want to be able to get on a plane and not ask for the seat belt extention
I want to be able to go to a restaurant and not look around in case I can not fit through peoples seats
I want to get off my blood pressure tablets
I don't want to look at seats and think "Will I fit"
I want to wear clothes that are cooler in the summer

But most of all I want to add another 15 years to my new life that I have started in this wonderful country.

Sunshine23
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Completely understand and good luck most of the people on ck that have had it done are completely happy with the lapband.

I think its very good as you say its not easy to lose weight and the more we diet the worse it gets because our body adjusts and our metabolism slows.

Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My metabolism has slowed over the many years of yo-yo dieting. I've tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers (too many times to count), Diet Centre, Optifast, so many fad diets I can't keep them straight, and the good old fashioned eating less. I know what my problem is. I like food and too much of it. I don't necessarily eat unhealthy, just too much.

I'll take a look at the Calorie King site. It may be good to meet some others who are going through the same thing.

NB, good luck on Tuesday with your appointment. Give me a shout if you want to go for coffee afterwards - I guess a big lunch then desert at the coffee shop would be inappropriate, eh? We can compare notes on our doctors - although I have a feeling it may be the same guy.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:53 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi G,
I really hope everything works out for you. I have lost about 1 and a half stone with weight watchers but it is a bit of 2Ib off 1Ib on some weeks
Well done on keeping the weight off since arriving.
Sending you a pm.
J x
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I don't think for one minute that it's the easy way out... not that I'm skinny, but I've lost over 45 kilos so far. I know people who've lost more both ways, through diet and through the lap band surgery. What is clear from the lap band surgery is that if you're so addicted to food, you can actually cheat it, sadly. It doesn't teach you about how to eat or how to keep the weight off... it's merely a calorie restriction method..

And then I know people who've succeeded by both methods.

In my case, I was craving carbs because of my thyroid illness and gaining weight because of it. Now I'm optimally treated, I neither crave food, nor do I put on weight and I'm currently slim with another 20kilos to lose which I'll do once I'm motivated to do so. That makes it approx 65+ kilos in all. And I had a life whilst I did it, still drank alcohol and enjoyed my food.

I really think you need to find what works for you. That's the bottom line. No-one can judge anyone else for being overweight. It's a sodding miserable existence if you don't like it.... but then there are those who are happy to weigh more. It's merely down to keeping healthy at the end of it all. Fat and healthy, thinner and healthy... it's what you're happy with.

There's no easy way out. There's no magic bullet.
Well done for losing all that weight the hard way. I just know in my heart of hearts I can't do it. I need that calorie restriction to help me on my way.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My metabolism has slowed over the many years of yo-yo dieting. I've tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers (too many times to count), Diet Centre, Optifast, so many fad diets I can't keep them straight, and the good old fashioned eating less. I know what my problem is. I like food and too much of it. I don't necessarily eat unhealthy, just too much.

I'll take a look at the Calorie King site. It may be good to meet some others who are going through the same thing.

NB, good luck on Tuesday with your appointment. Give me a shout if you want to go for coffee afterwards - I guess a big lunch then desert at the coffee shop would be inappropriate, eh? We can compare notes on our doctors - although I have a feeling it may be the same guy.
There aren't that many bariatric surgeons in Perth and Mr Dolan is the only one that operates in Joondalup and has come recommended by my friend and also my GP who has referred me speaks highly of him. Coffee would be nice if you fancy it, drop me a text on Tuesday if you have time, my appointment is 1.30.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

For all you guys wanting to lose weight I would suggest joining a gym, me and my OTH joined one a few weeks a go, and having a well balanced diet , we are losing quite a bit of weight, this might be the answer but you have to work at it, nothing comes easy, I`m sorry but I don`t think surgery is the way to go, too invasive
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcountrygirl
For all you guys wanting to lose weight I would suggest joining a gym, me and my OTH joined one a few weeks a go, and having a well balanced diet , we are losing quite a bit of weight, this might be the answer but you have to work at it, nothing comes easy, I`m sorry but I don`t think surgery is the way to go, too invasive
I appreciate your point of view. I agree it isn't easy and I haven't taken this decision lightly. The lap banding procedure is keyhole surgery and you are usually in and out of hospital the same day if there are no problems.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Good luck to those considering the lap band, which ever way you choose to lose weight it is tough. Diets rely on your will power (omg) and the gym - willingness to let everyone see your fat bits wobble and see you sweat.

Does anyone know is there a Slimming World club active in Oz, moving to Perth at the end of October. I quite like Slimming World as it makes sense to me and I'm too lazy to calorie count.

Thanks all

M
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by margy
Good luck to those considering the lap band, which ever way you choose to lose weight it is tough. Diets rely on your will power (omg) and the gym - willingness to let everyone see your fat bits wobble and see you sweat.

Does anyone know is there a Slimming World club active in Oz, moving to Perth at the end of October. I quite like Slimming World as it makes sense to me and I'm too lazy to calorie count.

Thanks all

M
They don't have it here in Perth. however, my friend has joined something via the slimming world UK website for international users. It costs money but she even gets sent all the workings out for australian products.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Sorry if I upset you, that was not intended, you have to do whats right for you, this was just my opinion, good luck with it anyway, I really hope it works for you, we use Fitness First in Marion Adelaide

Sheila

Last edited by blackcountrygirl; Sep 14th 2008 at 11:01 am.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

Sorry if I upset you, that was not intended, you have to do whats right for you, this was just my opinion, good luck with it anyway, I really hope it works for you, we use Fitness First in Marion Adelaide

Sheila
No you didn't upset me at all.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

We all have our opinion but I have struggled all my life as I said I go to the gym. I have not taken this decision lightly and am under the care of my gp who is supporting me all the way and has spent the last 12 months trying to help me loose weight.

As I have said it is not an easy "cop out" if anything it will be hard. I am doing this to improve my health not to look like Elle Mcpherson although it would be benefit according to my hubby(by the way it has taken me 12 months to convince him to have this done coz he loves me the way I am but agrees for health reasons)

Sunshine23
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Mr Dolan is the only one that operates in Joondalup and has come recommended by my friend and also my GP who has referred me speaks highly of him. Coffee would be nice if you fancy it, drop me a text on Tuesday if you have time, my appointment is 1.30.
He's who I saw, too. He could use some help in the bedside manor department, though. Think House without the personality
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
He's who I saw, too. He could use some help in the bedside manor department, though. Think House without the personality
I had heard that, a bit direct but after all he is a pom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.