Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ladies - do you like shoes? Or not?

Ladies - do you like shoes? Or not?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:59 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ladies - do you like shoes? Or not?

nice answer ipom. So the heels could be a rebelious side maybe...
ok what age did you all start wearing heels?
I believe at college age - you are either a heels girl or doc martens girl.
If you were the latter, have you only discovered heels at a later age, or are not drawn to them at all and prefer flats or sling backs? [I love the word 'sling back' and use it in every possible occasion.]
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:09 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
You're all mad. I just don't get the whole shoe obsession thing. They're like pants - you have to wear them (most of the time!).

I own 6 or 7 pairs. A pair of black boots, a pair of black work shoes, trainers for running in, trainers for general wear, some heels I bought for this year's weddings I have to go to (I had to take them to work to practice wearing them - I'm rubbish at walking in heels and have a tendency to walk like Tina Turner in them). And some thongs. I love wearing thongs.

But that's it. I don't know how you can get excited about them! I have a friend who came back from shopping at the sales the other day, have bought a 'bargain' pair of sandals. There's not much to them, they're just sandals. They were £85 in the sale!! Apparently that was half price.... clearly the woman is mad.

Im with you emma
altho , have found that the drunker I get the easier it seems to walk in high heels and my knee high boots!!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I love shoes, and have quite a lot of pairs as it turns out. I only realised this quite recently, as my best mate in UK was a total shoe fetishist so alongside her my collection looked tame... but now I am meeting new people in 'stralia and turns out I have lots! (But they are all old, so obviously I need new Australian ones....)
HOWEVER there are a couple of things that do upset me when shoe shopping - one is that shoes tend to be expensive. Hence I particularly love the sales, I have a gorgeous pair of supple dark brown leather boots from Jones which were about a third of the original price and I've worn them to death - literally, they are now superglued together. The other thing is that some of the most beautiful shoes are just pure undignified torture to walk in! I can admire them from afar, but give me a pair of comfy thongs any day and I'll be happy!
(Perhaps now am in aus, will focus on building a spectacular thong collection.... then will shock my UK friends by telling them about it! )

I have another theory - do people who have shoe obsessions tend to have smaller feet? Mine are at the larger end of the spectrum and I always think most shoes look so much better in the small sizes.... if only I'd grown up in foot-binding-era China!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe some of you could always find shoes that fit, but I wear a size 7 "EE". Try to find a pair of nice heels in a double E width some time. I also broke my right foot about 5 or 6 years ago and it tends to swell quite badly.
I used to love shoes when I was younger and could afford to shop in shoestores that made nice ones I could wear.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

eviep will become famous soon enough

i started early - in that i am a ballroom dancer - not for me those little girl type flat heels -at least 2 1/2inches at 10!! even today - a fair number of years later, i can't dance in flat shoes!!

I must admit that my everyday shoes were always sensible and well fitting - usually clarks!! used to cost my parents a fortune as they had 3 of us.

My love affair with beautiful shoes grew out of those shiney dancing shoes with the glitter and diamentes.

As a younger woman i always had 'good shoes' and work shoes and of course the **** me shoes when i was on the prowl!!

then i married a man and we had a small holding so my love affair with shoes was sorta put on the back burner and like one or two other ladies and i had just a pair of wellies, a pair of sandals and a pair of 'good shoes', he didn;t understand my need for more than that!

After he passed away, i rekindled my love affair with shoes and bought a beautiful pair of high heeled black leather court shoes that i wore until they fell off my feet, after that i was off... red shoes, gold shoes, silver and black, i can't say that i have any particular favourites as i love them all - not a boot person as with all the dancing can very rarely find a pair of boots that will fit over my calf muscles, but high heeled stilettoes can make even the fattest calves look slim and luscious!!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:41 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe some of you could always find shoes that fit, but I wear a size 7 "EE". Try to find a pair of nice heels in a double E width some time. I also broke my right foot about 5 or 6 years ago and it tends to swell quite badly.
I used to love shoes when I was younger and could afford to shop in shoestores that made nice ones I could wear.
I'm a size 10 Aus... which is a 42 European... and I have wiiiiiiiiiiiide feet.

Perseverence and only buying leather works for me.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I only have three pairs of shoes. One pair of flat (can't do heels) going out shoes, and two pairs of trainers (One for everyday wear, and one just in case my everyday ones get chewed by the dog )

I was skint growing up, and had to get my shoes free from the Government with my school uniform
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:47 am
Just Joined

eviep will become famous soon enough

i used to think that i had my fair share of shoes until one day my pal Lorna counted hers - all in boxes too! she wears a size 9, so if she saw a pair of shoes that she liked she often bought two pairs in different colours..

at the last count she had 80 pairs of shoes - that was without the boots!! made my collection of about 30 look like nothing!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

Like Wendy we never had much money growing up, my Mother made me wear Tuf shoes from Clarkes, got them free from school. I hated wearing them they were so old fashioned! Now I love any type of shoes, handbags and earrings.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

So going back to the original question............am I a shoe freak because I can't remember being anything else?

Have you had a look at my Manolo's in my classifieds? Now those are HEELS. Will be Ebaying them shortly
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C&R
nice answer ipom. So the heels could be a rebelious side maybe...
ok what age did you all start wearing heels?
I believe at college age - you are either a heels girl or doc martens girl.
If you were the latter, have you only discovered heels at a later age, or are not drawn to them at all and prefer flats or sling backs? [I love the word 'sling back' and use it in every possible occasion.]
Maybe!

But I got my first pair of heels at about 15 I think. They were blue, pointy and incredibly high, and at 5'10" already, it was kind of fun ....
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:18 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm a size 10 Aus... which is a 42 European... and I have wiiiiiiiiiiiide feet.

Perseverence and only buying leather works for me.
Ha ha same size as me - I'm coming to yours to borrow shoes
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:29 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Shoes can make or break an outfit. A friend of mine in the UK has the most hideous taste in shoes and goes for comfort over style. On a recent trip back she looked lovely from the head down but when I got to her shoes her whole outfit was ruined. For those on here that know me will know that I am not one to mince my words. I don't think she will be wearing those shoes again, especially after the other girls joined in! She does have a thick skin and can give as good as she gets
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

I adore shoes, they can make or break an outfit!
If you have nice shoes and your hair looks good then you'll have a great day!

My hubbie doesn't understand why I love shoes, and unfortunately my 8 year old daughter has inherited my passion - she won't wear a particular pair of shoes unless the colour matches her outfit just right!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:03 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I love shoes but not quite as much as I love bags

have just bought my Mum a beautiful Fornarina Italian leather bag as she is 65 next week and retiring. Only problem is I want to keep it myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.