Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

July 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

July 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default July 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

I decided to quit a few months ago and chose to use the smoking ban to aid me. However, I am currently in the process of launching a web development business with another BE member, the kids are on holiday next month (yes, all five!), the au pair and boyfriend are a complete waste of space and have successfully mastered the art of winding me up and so quitting now might not be the best timing to be perfectly honest.

So I was thinking that if there are any other BE members who would like to quit, nows the time. We could use this thread for mutual support and to discuss the highs and lows of giving up the evil weed.

Anyone?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:41 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 1st - Are you going to quit the weed?

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
I decided to quit a few months ago and chose to use the smoking ban to aid me. However, I am currently in the process of launching a web development business with another BE member, the kids are on holiday next month (yes, all five!), the au pair and boyfriend are a complete waste of space and have successfully mastered the art of winding me up and so quitting now might not be the best timing to be perfectly honest.

So I was thinking that if there are any other BE members who would like to quit, nows the time. We could use this thread for mutual support and to discuss the highs and lows of giving up the evil weed.

Anyone?
yes please. I'm in from the 27th June.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Great!

There's another incentive for anyone from Bendigo. The proposed 1am lockout means that you will not be allowed to get back in to the bar if you pop out for a puff!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:21 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?
Although I'm not a smoker, I did like what Allen Carr had to say on his CD's (my wife bought a copy).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-...2492910&sr=1-8

Even if you don't actually use the CD to give up, it's well worth a listen to.

For instance, he says why is it called "quitting" or "giving up". These are only terms used when you relinquish something that has benefits. Rather he says you should get it into your head that you are going to "stop smoking"

He has a "conspiracy theory" as well. And after watching all the Nicorette ads where they delight in telling you how you're sure to fail if you stop unaided, I can well believe him.

You may even be able to download it for free somewhere, ahem.

Last edited by mackinnon; Jun 22nd 2007 at 7:24 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:29 am
Account Closed

I tried patches many years ago when they were still very new. They gave me some very weird dreams/nightmares so I gave them up and tried smoking instead. This time I am just going to stop, that's it.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:33 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

I tried patches many years ago when they were still very new. They gave me some very weird dreams/nightmares so I gave them up and tried smoking instead. This time I am just going to stop, that's it.
me too. I can stop for 2-3 weeks, then I go out and get hammered, and start smoking again. The last few days have been pretty stressful, and I am smoking more then ever to find a way to expel the stress. But when I get to Oz, I'd like to think my flat will a smoke free environment and I will be able to stop once and for all.

The Alan Carr stuff is really interesting, he says the 'urge' is not the actual need to smoke,its just the toxins etc coming out of your body and you just have to accept it. When the toxins have gone you will no longer get the urge.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:38 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
The Alan Carr stuff is really interesting, he says the 'urge' is not the actual need to smoke,its just the toxins etc coming out of your body and you just have to accept it. When the toxins have gone you will no longer get the urge.
Maybe for some, but I gave up for 6 years, a while back and wanted a ciggie nearly every day

Soon time for giving up smoking part 15
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Maybe for some, but I gave up for 6 years, a while back and wanted a ciggie nearly every day

Soon time for giving up smoking part 15
Hey! The do say 'strength in numbers'. Give up with us and we can all support each other.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:28 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! The do say 'strength in numbers'. Give up with us and we can all support each other.

Sorry, but I will have to go it alone when/if it happens....I don't know when the right time for me will be, probably during the next cold/flu when the breathing is a bit rough and the smokes taste like shit, but I don't know.

But good luck to everyone that manages it from this thread and fair play to you for starting this. If just 1 gives up from this thread then it's been a success...actually, just for getting people trying, this thread is a success
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told from an early age that people who smoke "have" issues ...

Make of that what you will.

Anyone?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and hubby quit last night. We had our ceremonial lighting of the last fag ceremony at about 9.30.

He's using Zyban and I'm going cold turkey. He's been on the Zyban for two weeks and has no urge to give up at all. So, me thinks he will be as cranky as hell when he gets home. I've done okay all day and had the odd bad craving. I just breathe deeply and they go away.

Must concentrate very hard on not getting p*ssed in the near future, as I will cave and start smoking again.

Good luck to all the other quitters. We can do this.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:33 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I was told from an early age that people who smoke "have" issues ...

By the bucket load mate, by the bucket load!!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Me and hubby quit last night. We had our ceremonial lighting of the last fag ceremony at about 9.30.

He's using Zyban and I'm going cold turkey. He's been on the Zyban for two weeks and has no urge to give up at all. So, me thinks he will be as cranky as hell when he gets home. I've done okay all day and had the odd bad craving. I just breathe deeply and they go away.

Must concentrate very hard on not getting p*ssed in the near future, as I will cave and start smoking again.

Good luck to all the other quitters. We can do this.
Well done! It's not going to be quite so difficult while out on the lash, given that the bars should be smoke free.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Day three of stopping was never a heavy smoker just the occasionally, but enough to start drawing me back in. Using the patches but like someone else they gave me weird dreams also breathlessness and feeling sick so today no patch lets hope i will be ok.

Good luck to all those wanting to stop.

Sarah
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
Weed is good, smoking is bad.
Mmm....not sure my brother would agree with you on that one. He started out on weed and to cut a long story short, he's now a crack whore sleeping rough at Marble Arch tube station with very few days left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.