Wikiposts

Julia Gillard

Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Julia Gillard

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
So are you saying communication skills are a crock of shit? Actions are one thing but without good communication skills there won't be any action. Communication skills are one of the most important skills for a leader and right now Gillard is falling short in that department.
Was just flicking through the Sunday newspaper and even in that they are commenting on her accent, the words 'gunna, wanna' are given as examples.

IMO rocking up on the world stage with a broad ocker accent, well its amusing but I dont know if its the right image. Its a bit like a pommy PM with a Chav accent
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:37 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
How she comes across on the world stage would, it seems to me, have more to do with her actions than her vocal traits. If you're the sort of muppet that votes according to someone's voice, then you get the government you deserve.

Honestly, what a crock of shit.
George Dubbya lucked out on both counts then.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

IMO rocking up on the world stage with a broad ocker accent, well its amusing but I dont know if its the right image. Its a bit like a pommy PM with a Chav accent

And is totally irrelevant to 99% of the world stage. Not everyone in the world either speaks English or recognises an accent as being 'ocker' or even 'chav' for that matter.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying communication skills are a crock of shit? Actions are one thing but without good communication skills there won't be any action. Communication skills are one of the most important skills for a leader and right now Gillard is falling short in that department.
I don't recall any pundit, luminary or journalist ever saying Gillard had poor communications skills. In fact a brief Google on the subject turned up nothing at all on the matter - plenty on Rudd, but nothing on Gillard.

What has been said on this thread is that they object to her accent, not what she's saying - and as I said above - if you care more about someone's accent that what they're actually saying, then you probably don't deserve the right to vote.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:35 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall any pundit, luminary or journalist ever saying Gillard had poor communications skills. In fact a brief Google on the subject turned up nothing at all on the matter - plenty on Rudd, but nothing on Gillard.

What has been said on this thread is that they object to her accent, not what she's saying - and as I said above - if you care more about someone's accent that what they're actually saying, then you probably don't deserve the right to vote.
Thats a pretty dumb thing to say. Unfortunately the right to vote is given to everyone, and like it or not a lot of people will vote for people rather than policy, i doubt the average aussie can real off 5 policies from either party.Communication skills, including accent tone and style of speech are important. Compare Howard and Rudd with Gillard - Rudd can speak and carry himself, Gillard sounds like a jumped up estate agent. She may well be dumbing down her vocabulary to feed the electorate but its making her sound stupid.

How our country is portrayed internationally has a lot to do with our leader personal characteristics and if you think that it doesn't count in any negotiation or discussion overseas then I'd say you are mistaken. Holding an audience, being able to articulate clearly, being able to present and be engaging are critical leadership qualities that she doesnt possess.

If she had a stellar record of competent governing and couldnt speak, thats one thing, but she doesnt have either attribute unfortunately.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

How our country is portrayed internationally has a lot to do with our leader personal characteristics and if you think that it doesn't count in any negotiation or discussion overseas then I'd say you are mistaken. Holding an audience, being able to articulate clearly, being able to present and be engaging are critical leadership qualities that she doesnt possess.

100% spot on.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a pretty dumb thing to say.
What can I say, I try and lower it to the audience's level.

Unfortunately the right to vote is given to everyone, and like it or not a lot of people will vote for people rather than policy, i doubt the average aussie can real off 5 policies from either party.
I doubt the average politician could either, but that isn't what we're talking about here.

Communication skills, including accent tone and style of speech are important. Compare Howard and Rudd with Gillard - Rudd can speak and carry himself, Gillard sounds like a jumped up estate agent. She may well be dumbing down her vocabulary to feed the electorate but its making her sound stupid.
No, she sounds like 'jumped up estate agent' to your ear - she sounds like nothing of the sort to mine. She simply sounds like someone with a strong Australian accent, while Rudd sounded like someone with a soft Australian accent. Don't assume that just because you base your politics on someone's accent, that everybody's so ... sophisticated.

And anyway, what has vocabulary got to do with accent?

Yea, and I think she's perfectly articulate and clear. Again it comes back to your perception of her, not mine. Many people found Margaret Thatcher's voice more grating than finger nails down a chalkboard, but it didn't seem to damage her efforts on the world stage, did it?

If she had a stellar record of competent governing and couldnt speak, thats one thing, but she doesnt have either attribute unfortunately.
She only ousted the Rudd a couple of months ago. What were you expecting? World peace?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

What were you expecting? World peace?
No, but you would at least think she could have managed a cure for cancer by now.

Plenty of politicians have had strong regional accents and it doesn't seem to have harmed them over the years.... and as MoneyP said regional accents mean bugger all on the world stage. I couldn't tell you if Vladimir Putin had a Moscow or Leningrad accent and I doubt any of the world leaders could either.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:13 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt the average politician could either, but that isn't what we're talking about here.
That's right. We're talking about the very important ear lobe issue. For goodness' sake people. Keep on topic.

Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:30 am
ah-beng

She only ousted the Rudd a couple of months ago. What were you expecting? World peace?
Err... your memory failing you? She was deputy leader of the government for 3years and presided over such successes as the school buildings for cash rort. She isnt "3 weeks into the job" she's 3 years into it. And supposedly supported by a 'competent' cabinet remember we're not voting for 1 person...........
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

On ABC this morning in an interview with Julia Gillard, they were questioning her communication skills including the way she pronounced "Mr Abbott" as "Mr Rabbit".

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Aug 5th 2010 at 3:39 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On ABC this morning in an interview with Julia Gillard, ther were questioning her communication skills including the way she pronounced "Mr Abbott" as "Mr Rabbit".

That is how it sounds too, if you do it with the twang LOL
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a pretty dumb thing to say. Unfortunately the right to vote is given to everyone, and like it or not a lot of people will vote for people rather than policy, i doubt the average aussie can real off 5 policies from either party.Communication skills, including accent tone and style of speech are important. Compare Howard and Rudd with Gillard - Rudd can speak and carry himself, Gillard sounds like a jumped up estate agent. She may well be dumbing down her vocabulary to feed the electorate but its making her sound stupid.

Exactly! Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I keep thinking of the last US election when people say accent/presentation doesnt matter in business/world politics.

Look at Sarah Palin, her accent and personality didnt get her too far did they

Then you take Obama, sheer charm and class , bet that won him a few votes, that man could walk into a room and everyone would take notice of him.

Seriously Obama meets Gillard, umm that would be interesting. Screeches loudly "G'day Barmy oww the furk ya doing mate" .
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:26 pm
Australia's Doorman

Err... your memory failing you? She was deputy leader of the government for 3years and presided over such successes as the school buildings for cash rort. She isnt "3 weeks into the job" she's 3 years into it. And supposedly supported by a 'competent' cabinet remember we're not voting for 1 person...........
Mmmm ... right. Deputy PM is *not* PM - the deputy bit's the clue. Brown was in waiting for nearly a decade and a fat lot of good it did him! Abbott shuffled along in Howard's wake for nearly the same length of time and he's showing all the leadership promise of a head of lettuce. And what was the name of that cluster**** that followed on from Thatcher? John Major? Bang up job he did.

Honestly, you people banging on about her voice remind me of nothing more than playground chatter - only not as intelligent sounding. Seem to recall one of those posting in this thread banged on for ages about Rudd picking his nose and eating eat, so it's pretty pretty obvious that the chances of getting any sort of a reasoned debate on the subject are low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.