Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its annoying my salary for my profession is not great compared to other salaries

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'd like to see a breakdown of how many tube drivers have experienced a jumper.
Pretty common

I used to work in rail in London. There is an average of 1 one-under (industry term for someone jumping in front of a train/tube) a week - so 50-odd a year

It's a real problem
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its annoying my salary for my profession is not great compared to other salaries

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Pretty common

I used to work in rail in London. There is an average of 1 one-under (industry term for someone jumping in front of a train/tube) a week - so 50-odd a year

It's a real problem
I wonder how many charred corpses or dead bodies in car wreck a fireman sees a year. I bet it beats a tube driver.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many charred corpses or dead bodies in car wreck a fireman sees a year. I bet it beats a tube driver.
There is a difference in the expectation though.

A firefighter accepts that their job will involve some very painful scenarios, and they go to every shift with the knowledge that they may see exceptionally tragic scenes by the end of it. Also, and possibly more importantly, the firefighter is not responsibe for the death of the fire victime.

A tube train driver goes to work to drive a train. They do not expect to reach the end of their shift having actually killed someone.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is a difference in the expectation though.

A firefighter accepts that their job will involve some very painful scenarios, and they go to every shift with the knowledge that they may see exceptionally tragic scenes by the end of it. Also, and possibly more importantly, the firefighter is not responsibe for the death of the fire victime.

A tube train driver goes to work to drive a train. They do not expect to reach the end of their shift having actually killed someone.
So does that mean they should expect to earn considerably more than a fireman? The boss of a London fire station earns 20% less than a tube driver.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the OP has moved on and started another thread as this has strayed rather.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
I assume the OP has moved on and started another thread as this has strayed rather.
It's up to him to contribute and any deviation along the way is a natural progression of dialogue loosely evolving around the original topic.

If he chooses to come back the thread will go back fully on topic.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 17th 2016 at 8:55 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

So does that mean they should expect to earn considerably more than a fireman? The boss of a London fire station earns 20% less than a tube driver.
It does mean you have to make sure that Tube Drivers can cope with these situations. Not sure how you put a figure on that. Remember these drivers are quite likely to "Partake" in someones suicide...not many people can handle that.

They are also responsible for moving 10,000's of people weekly..... day in day out 365 days per year. surely thats enough reason for above average pay. You want a person with more than average reliance surely ??? Total dependence I would want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicid...on_Underground

Like I said some drivers are luckier or unluckier than others.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 17th 2016 at 8:55 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It does mean you have to make sure that Tube Drivers can cope with these situations. Not sure how you put a figure on that. Remember these drivers are quite likely to "Partake" in someones suicide...not many people can handle that.

They are also responsible for moving 10,000's of people weekly..... day in day out 365 days per year. surely thats enough reason for above average pay. You want a person with more than average reliance surely ??? Total dependence I would want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicid...on_Underground

Like I said some drivers are luckier or unluckier than others.
So are bus drivers. Speaking of drivers here...... What's your driver ..... unionism?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I finished the debate many posts ago. You can't carry on the debate with the same arguments that make no sense, just because you didn't win the debate. You need a new argument.
You think you win debates in your own mind - e.g. how do you get rid of a teacher now you say. I give you the reality that anyone going into the profession now usually gets a short term renewable contract and no FS pension scheme so very dispensable (compared to job for life for every teacher which you have in your right wing mind). No response to the reality on that one for example.

I see you've gone on to make umpteen dozen more posts about effing tube drivers and the millions they earn for the job they do, with people's lives in their hands and many giving up their lives in front of their eyes. Give it a rest or get a job as a tube driver ffs.

For a change let's lay into these guys!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-10307511.html

413 and they work in the public sector and for you and me - shocking.

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 17th 2016 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So are bus drivers. Speaking of drivers here...... What's your driver ..... unionism?

Quite simply it doesnt happen to bus drivers........Suicide on the tube network is a real job hazard....people working in the network wont apply for the job because they know rhe imllications...
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quite simply it doesnt happen to bus drivers........Suicide on the tube network is a real job hazard....people working in the network wont apply for the job because they know rhe imllications...
So are you saying they should be paid more than firefighters because of potential jumpers? Just clarifying. If so that's cool. We just differ on the opinion.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So are you saying they should be paid more than firefighters because of potential jumpers? Just clarifying. If so that's cool. We just differ on the opinion.
I'm not saying that you are. It's up to the firefighters to sort that one out... you dont lower the bar you raise it.

Dont forget a Tube Driver has to be totally dependable, whilst working totally alone...... Thats even on a very very bad day.... which we all have now and again. So they are well and truly vetted and necessarily so.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 17th 2016 at 7:51 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that you are. It's up to the firefighters to sort that one out... you dont lower the bar you raise it.

Dont forget a Tube Driver has to be totally dependable, whilst working totally alone...... Thats even on a very very bad day.... which we all have now and again. So they are well and truly vetted and necessarily so.
Just out of interest.....our fire service (like most others I assume) has a strong network of chaplains, psychologists peer support workers etc who are called into action when there are fatalities etc. Even the toughest Firies feel the need to talk sometimes.
Ozzie, do you know if there is a similar system in place for Tube drivers? Do they have peole watching out for them and available after 'incidents' occur?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just out of interest.....our fire service (like most others I assume) has a strong network of chaplains, psychologists peer support workers etc who are called into action when there are fatalities etc. Even the toughest Firies feel the need to talk sometimes.
Ozzie, do you know if there is a similar system in place for Tube drivers? Do they have peole watching out for them and available after 'incidents' occur?

I'll see if I can find out.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to admit, I'm amazed you find the tube drivers salary acceptable in comparision to other public service jobs, and arguing that they may see the odd jumper and have to work alone ...... sometimes, there's 3 in the cabin here. Good article too just to put it all in perspective.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/15/how-well-off-are-londons-tube-drivers-and-why-are-they-striking/

Well the union has done its job well here, for a bare few, whilst ripping off the rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.