Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tube Drivers Pay

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It's in the Barbie - it's the place for off topic posts
Tis now, but wasnt when i made my OT posts for which I apologise I have now left the discussion for the regulars to continue........
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tis now, but wasnt when i made my OT posts for which I apologise I have now left the discussion for the regulars to continue........
I'm guilty too - I posted on the under pay of public service workers in the UK
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

The biggest challenge of the lot, is to recognise where opportunity lies, and have the flexbility of mindset to go with that. Melbourne is going to be construction city over the next 10 years. There will be heaps of very well paid work as a spin of from that. If people are brave enough to travel to a new country to further their lives, surely it's not too much of a leap to change careers and chase the money.

Each state has it's growth areas, it's having the gumption to flow with that which is the challenge.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll come up with some pointers. Plenty of short courses out there which can enhance you jumping upon your particular States gravy train. In fact there are plenty of situations where staying in ones usual career could be stifling your financial progress.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 22nd 2016 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its annoying my salary for my profession is not great compared to other salaries

That's OK if the public sector workers are paid what they're worth surely?

I've said a few times before that often directors and CEO's pay themselves what they want. How many shareholders go to AGM's, how many shareholders get together their small holdings to block things? They are largely inactive and leave it to the Board to decide on executive pay. It's the opposite of turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I've retired from this thread - you quote from one thread and your reply goes in another, without the person quoted.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
You need to change it to CEO's. Resentment and believing everything you read in left wing rags means we have moved on.

Meanwhile, over at BHP, the company decided what the CEO was worth.

BHP boss Andrew Mackenzie pays the price for a poor year
Theresa May has spoken on CEO's pay as I quoted. Where's the 'resentment and reading from left wing rags' when the Tory PM is critical and has already introduced changes'?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Theresa May has spoken on CEO's pay as I quoted. Where's the 'resentment and reading from left wing rags' when the Tory PM is critical and has already introduced changes'?
Mrs May is a clever cookie. She knows this will be a big ticket political win item, especially with those rags such as the Guardian, and with Labour at its lowest point, why not get the me me me's and the resentful on side.

Great work Mrs May. Another nail in the coffin for Corbyn.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The biggest challenge of the lot, is to recognise where opportunity lies, and have the flexbility of mindset to go with that. Melbourne is going to be construction city over the next 10 years. There will be heaps of very well paid work as a spin of from that. If people are brave enough to travel to a new country to further their lives, surely it's not too much of a leap to change careers and chase the money.

Each state has it's growth areas, it's having the gumption to flow with that which is the challenge.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll come up with some pointers. Plenty of short courses out there which can enhance you jumping upon your particular States gravy train. In fact there are plenty of situations where staying in ones usual career could be stifling your financial progress.
Good post Ozzie. That's the type of self initiative the world needs.

Will be interested to see these short courses.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Ozzie. That's the type of self initiative the world needs.

Will be interested to see these short courses.

It's the kind of thing that should be and one would think would be natural in migrants IMO.... get up and go.

Although I dont think you'll like some of my next post..... re some of the short courses
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The absolute first thing an unemployed able bodied person should do, who wants to earn high wages is go to their nearest office as follows and to a day course for a White Ticket through this organisation. This will be my first port of call when I leave Post for casual work personally.

CFMEU Training Schools | CFMEU National

Once there the next course, which has plenty of work, albeit casual to start of with and through the same organisation is get yourself a traffic controllers ticket....(stop/go man/woman) wages circa 28AUD ph right through to 55AUD ph (public holidays and nights) There is guaranteed plenty of work in this at present...you will need an Australian Drivers licence.

There are plenty of affiliated courses that this organisation does, and holding their cards absolutely gurantees you work. Once in with this lot, talk to the other employees, get along with them and find out what courses will get you higher paid work. Within 3 years you will be in full time work at over 100K almost certainly.... assuming you get along with people. The thing I'm told to try and get into is and dont laugh...."Dogging" which is spotting for cranes, although that takes a fair amount of building site experience.

Things like Baristas courses will potentially get you over 30 Aud Per hour (plus penaties) Gaming licenses, responsible serving of Alcohol, All of these are stepping stones to what pays quite well in the Australian labour market. Non Emergency ambulance courses are two weeks long and a stepping stone to Ambulance drivers.

The thing is to talk to people, Nepotism works brilliantly in the Australian labour market, it really is who you know here. Thing is to start somewhere on the average job labour market and get in there. Do anything, speak to everyone, have a fresh approach and for gods sake don't say, don't even think it, they'll read your mind.... "We do it differently in the UK". Once your in the job market you'll be amazed what comes along. I know of a young bloke that went from driving fork lifts, to driving cranes within 5 years at circa 200K per annum.... the thing is he talked to people and looked for opportunities, which is what you must must do here.

Just look for courses, from fork lifts, to Personal care attendant....those local pieces of paper are what get you jobs here. Although those CFMEU courses absolutely guarantee you well paid work....much to the chagrin of many on this site.

Thats basically 36 years worth of local knowledge above and I think you will find it will pay dividends..... I'll repeat it one final time.

"Get in and talk to people".

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 23rd 2016 at 3:24 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's the kind of thing that should be and one would think would be natural in migrants IMO.... get up and go.

Although I dont think you'll like some of my next post..... re some of the short courses
Ha. CFMEU. Victoria specific. Got one for NSW.

First generation immigrants are generally get up and go. They have to be to survive. Its the second generation which is the worry.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha. CFMEU. Victoria specific. Got one for NSW.

First generation immigrants are generally get up and go. They have to be to survive. Its the second generation which is the worry.

They hold courses in NSW..... I'll admit I dont know the local labour market up there, but I'll ask if your interested

Thing is it works Beoz... quite likely to in NSW as well... definitely in WA even now....not sure about Queensland but probably. Even without the union, the local tafe and private courses will still get you work.

With the amount of building going on in Vic, once of these cards is probably a very wise move... especially if you find yourself facing no other opportunities.

The other point is, going for jobs where there are dozens if not 100's of people in your field isnt going to work... especially if your a migrant. You need to find where the shortfall is in any field in your local area, do a course in something you would never have dreamed of in the UK and get on the job market and talk.

It's quite possible this time in 24 months, I could be helping my foreman mate, 150 meters up the outside of Australia 108 (thats just halfway !!) helping him fix in windows.... I will need a ticket(s) though. Plus I dont fancy doing that much, not exactly happy with heights... I'm told you get over it in a few hours.... plus 50 bucks+++ per hour is pretty enticing for a part time casual.....I'll give it a go if necessary or I feel like some real money though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 23rd 2016 at 3:43 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I've retired from this thread - you quote from one thread and your reply goes in another, without the person quoted.
Sorry OzTennis - moved the post here.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mrs May is a clever cookie. She knows this will be a big ticket political win item, especially with those rags such as the Guardian, and with Labour at its lowest point, why not get the me me me's and the resentful on side.

Great work Mrs May. Another nail in the coffin for Corbyn.
Umm you always look to the right of anything. You say criticism of CEO's pay is merely from the left wing and left wing rags and then when it's pointed out that May also does it she's a shrewd cookie (and you don't see it as confirmation that the most influential righty in the UK disagrees with you).
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Umm you always look to the right of anything. You say criticism of CEO's pay is merely from the left wing and left wing rags and then when it's pointed out that May also does it she's a shrewd cookie (and you don't see it as confirmation that the most influential righty in the UK disagrees with you).
Does that mean you will be voting for the Tories?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.