Wikiposts

Jackson Jive

Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jackson Jive

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But there was no fuss about that.. Even though it was racist, (and blondest) it is perfectly acceptable to the vast majority.
That white people were never treated like black people, makes the difference.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:45 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

But there was no fuss about that.. Even though it was racist, (and blondest) it is perfectly acceptable to the vast majority.
There was quite a lot of fuss about it at the time, particularly in the US. The only reason it was mildly successful was because it was so controversial.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:48 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I take everything back, I've just seen a transexual advertising make up on daytime TV. How can I call Australia backward after that!!! I love it!

I really need to go and do that shopping... should probably get dressed first...
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
I take everything back, I've just seen a transexual advertising make up on daytime TV. How can I call Australia backward after that!!! I love it!

I really need to go and do that shopping... should probably get dressed first...
Was it Courtney Act? I think I've seen that before....very funny!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think you're stretching the reunion point a little far - it wasn't a clip show showing old stuff, it was a new show where the producers had free reign what acts they put in front of the judges.
I didn't actually see it but I thought it was a thing on an 'Old Show', rather than being a new show.

Originally Posted by bcworld
They put this in front of Harry Connick Jr, someone from the deep south of America - that was just plain stupid and thoughtless - not because they should've pandered to him, but what kind of reaction did they expect - unless they wanted this reaction. The act was rubbish anyway.
With hindsight, I think they have agreed... but it seems no-one thought of the racism possibilities. After all, not many Indians would think themselves racist by blacking their faces up.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

I didn't actually see it but I thought it was a thing on an 'Old Show', rather than being a new show.

With hindsight, I think they have agreed... but it seems no-one thought of the racism possibilities. After all, not many Indians would think themselves racist by blacking their faces up.
I didn't realise all 5 were Indian.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
That white people were never treated like black people, makes the difference.
stupid argument. Appalling argument really ... profoundly absurd. Some could be forgiven for thinking you are excusing racism.

That is no justification for another person to belittle me because of my skin colour.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen clips of the Black and White Minstrels more recently, in "looking back" programs, and this "Hey Hey Reunion" is also one of those looking back programs, isn't it ?
I haven't actually watched it, but did get that impression, especially as they are re-enacting those old skits etc.

I would agree if it was something NEW being done, but it isn't. It is reminiscing about the past.

Maybe that part is being overlooked ?
Sorry ABC but 'reminiscing' about all the nasty, supposedly comical, things that at some point have been shown on TV just doesn't make sense.
The black and white minstrel show wasnt funny looking back - that's why we shouldnt show it when we are fondly 'reminiscing' about the best parts of previous shows. The only time I have seen clips is in the context of showing how backward the sense of humour was at that time and hopefully that we have moved on. We should be embarrassed and now know how offensive it was/is. This Hey hey its saturday skit wasn't funny either IMO and falls into the same category.

But, apparently, according to some aussies (and i know it is only a small representation and hope it doesnt necessarily reflect the whole populations point of view) on the TV chat shows this morning the rest of the world just dont 'get' the australian 'larrikin' sense of humour*.
According to them Aussies 'tolerate'(not kidding this was the word one of the people used) all different races here so therefore it is not possible that they are racist and it is just the rest of the world that need to see how funny it is. The parting words were pretty much along the lines of if you dont find it funny then stuff you....
I'm not saying aussies are racist - or that any other countries dont have racists -just that the TV producers got this one wrong and dont want to admit that it could offend quite a few people- same as the producers of the B&W minstrel show did - and perhaps the little britain show does take it a bit too far sometimes. Some of the sketches make me really cringe. But that doesn't make this right though.
Personally I think they were trying to get a reaction to get a bit of free publicity. Just like the footy show put that awful Sam newman and his ridiculous (sometimes racist/sexist and sometimes just downright malicious) comments and behaviour on display to bump up their ratings.

*Funnily enough come to think of it, wasnt that the same expression the media used when they tried to excuse stealing a beer mat saying it was just a larrikin bit of Aussie fun that the rest of the world just didnt get it?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by copa
stupid argument. Appalling argument really ... profoundly absurd. Some could be forgiven for thinking you are excusing racism.

That is no justification for another person to belittle me because of my skin colour.
What's absurd is you defending people blacking up on prime time tv.
Show me any evidence of blacks persecuting whites over centuries.........
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:10 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Lot of bollox if you ask me. It wasn't meant to be rascist at all, and as usual way too many people take offence at the slightest thing.

If blackening your face for fun is rascist, then was the guy on here who went to a fancy dress party as Mr.T a few months back being rascist? I think not.

Are Morris Men who blacken their face being rascist? (Morris is the olde English word for people of Moorish decent).

Was Michael Jackson being rascist when he whitened his face?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Lot of bollox if you ask me. It wasn't meant to be rascist at all, and as usual way too many people take offence at the slightest thing.

If blackening your face for fun is rascist, then was the guy on here who went to a fancy dress party as Mr.T a few months back being rascist? I think not.

Are Morris Men who blacken their face being rascist? (Morris is the olde English word for people of Moorish decent).

Was Michael Jackson being rascist when he whitened his face?
It was plain wrong mate. Bad, bad taste.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What about the "Black Peter's" in Holland on St Nicholas day, is that racist?

I think it's much ado about nothing.

Was the sketch racist and tasteless? - No
Was the sketch totally unfunny? - Yes.

I used to like the Black and White Minstrel show, banning it was political correctness gone mad.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

ripvanwinkle will become famous soon enough

It is not cool to black up. Most Aussies seem to dismiss this.....
Who says it's 'not cool' to black up?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ripvanwinkle
Who says it's 'not cool' to black up?
Samuel L Jackson and Spike Lee.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

ripvanwinkle will become famous soon enough

Samuel L Jackson and Spike Lee.
Why should their opinions matter? U.S cultural values don't apply to Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.