Wikiposts

Jackson Jive

Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jackson Jive

Originally Posted by renth
That's what I thought. We stitched up the Palestinians and ballsed up the process the same way as when we partitioned India.

So do you reckon that's why Jewish people hate us then?

Is there anyone who doesn't hate the British? (and YES, Jocks and Taffs I'm including you in this cos whether you like it or not you are British.)
We actually tried to NOT stitch up the Palestinians and we tried to control the flow of Jews, from Europe, to Palestine, during and after, the war, as a measure of control and to prevent the Palestinians being displaced. The US killed that stone dead when they took up a position against the UK and it's methods and pretty much enforced uncontrolled Jewish migration.

For a hundred years or so Great Britain was the global superpower... just like the US is now... and it made just as many friends as the US has done during it's term as "world policeman".

As much as people may dislike what UK and US have done over those decades I think it was probably better than we are going to get during China's and India's goes at it.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's clear to me though that some Australians get a bit anti-English when it comes to Gallipoli. I sometimes think it is more a 'us and them' (commanders and men, and a country getting absorbed in an Empire's work) tragic episode rather than an English hate tirade. I think the responsible education message is to show the film but ensure that the failings of WW1 tactics/Australian commanders are discussed. After all, history is about opinions.
History is about opinions, but too many bring a modern viewpoint and attitude to events that happened years ago.

I spoke to my Grandad a lot about his service in WWI and if there was one thing that really could wind him up, even when he was in his 80's, it was comments like "a senseless loss of life" or the one that really got him going "was all those men who gave their lives for nothing". He considered that statement to be the ultimate insult to all the friends, and brother, he lost in that war.
None of it was senseless or for nothing to him... and neither was it to the men who volunteered in their millions. They felt they had a role and a duty to perform.. and it was something they did willingly.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
History is about opinions, but too many bring a modern viewpoint and attitude to events that happened years ago.

I spoke to my Grandad a lot about his service in WWI and if there was one thing that really could wind him up, even when he was in his 80's, it was comments like "a senseless loss of life" or the one that really got him going "was all those men who gave their lives for nothing". He considered that statement to be the ultimate insult to all the friends, and brother, he lost in that war.
None of it was senseless or for nothing to him... and neither was it to the men who volunteered in their millions. They felt they had a role and a duty to perform.. and it was something they did willingly.
They spelled "Duty" with a capital D in those days.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

They spelled "Duty" with a capital D in those days.
They did indeed. It's also one of the things where modern day Australia is light years ahead of the UK. There is still a tremendous amount of civic pride here in Australia and a huge amount of people who volunteer their time. That sense of having to give something back to the community has long been in decline in the UK. It's a lot poorer nation for it.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I am sorry, I just think you are being incredibly nit-picking. In fact, the Australian officers in the film are not portrayed sympathetically, and like a previous poster pointed, the commander with the upper crust British accent was actually an Australian - thats how some Aussies sounded back them. I had assumed he was British, I stand corrected. Nobody seriously dislikes the British because of the film "Gallipoli." The fact is, Australians went to war to help their Mother Country, Britain, and fought in a war that was patently ridiculous to satisfy the bloodlust of Eurepean politicians. No-one cares about the nitty gritty of what the Nek battle was, who helped who, in fact none of this is explained in any detail in the film (after all it is film aimed at the mainstream, not military experts) I think it is irrelevant. The film barely deals with the British, or indeeds offers any explanation for why WW1 broke out. In fact, Mel Gibson's character asks Archie what the war is about, and Archie basically doesn't know (typical of the public at that time) It is simply a film that shows the tragedy of trench warfare and how many Australians went of to war all gung-ho only to die, be maimed, and see their mates cut down, for basically nothing. I commend the film makers, the students love it, and it gets across the messages about warfare that few textbooks are able to do so. In case you didn't realise, Australia voted to remain a constititional monarchy in 1996, so obviously the millions of Australians who have watched Gallipoli clearly don't hate us for what happened at Gallipoli.
It's a bit worrying that an history teacher regards students being given facts rather than whimsical fiction, "nit-picking" Have you got "Up Pompeii" lined up for teaching the rise and fall of the Roman Empire?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
It's a bit worrying that an history teacher regards students being given facts rather than whimsical fiction, "nit-picking" Have you got "Up Pompeii" lined up for teaching the rise and fall of the Roman Empire?
"Oh, well, please yourself"
Attached Thumbnails Jackson Jive-frankie.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:33 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I need a history lesson. What were the British supposed to have done to make the death camp survivors hate us then?

Didn't we create Israel for them?
I know,It's ridiculous isn't it.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like Harry is needed back in his home country - you know the one that isn't racist anymore or backwards like Australia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/...rracial_rebuff
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Sound like Harry is needed back in his home country - you know the one that isn't racist anymore or backwards like Australia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/...rracial_rebuff
Does the article not state that he should be removed for being the racist bigot that he is. The skit on TV was 30 year out of date and pandered to the ignorant millions who thought there was nothing wrong with it. I've had a few Aussies who have defended it and thought it was funny FFS. Hicksville sometimes astounds me.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I've said it before and this whole story reinforces my opinion that Australia isn't necessarily racist in a 'vicious' way, but seems to have the same opinions that the UK had in the 1970s.

People seem to think it's okay to laugh at jokes with racist undertones ala Jim Davidson, Love Thy Neighbour, In Sickness and in Health etc.

I even experience it at work with jokes that go around the office. Stuff that you simply wouldn't experience (I would like to believe) in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

How about the NRL All Stars v Indigenous DreamTime team.

I can just see the Premier League coming up with the idea of a Black vs White game !!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I've said it before and this whole story reinforces my opinion that Australia isn't necessarily racist in a 'vicious' way, but seems to have the same opinions that the UK had in the 1970s.

People seem to think it's okay to laugh at jokes with racist undertones ala Jim Davidson, Love Thy Neighbour, In Sickness and in Health etc.

I even experience it at work with jokes that go around the office. Stuff that you simply wouldn't experience (I would like to believe) in the UK.
But it does occur, that's what I find so annoying, that so many from the UK and US are acting sanctimoniously about this whole thing.

Somehow people seem to be convinced that the UK and US are so much more advanced, yet in most respects their racism and bigotry runs much deeper and has much more genuine hatred and problems to it.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How about the NRL All Stars v Indigenous DreamTime team.

I can just see the Premier League coming up with the idea of a Black vs White game !!
It wasn't long ago they were throwing bananas on the pitch and making monkey noises in the uk......
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But it does occur, that's what I find so annoying, that so many from the UK and US are acting sanctimoniously about this whole thing.

Somehow people seem to be convinced that the UK and US are so much more advanced, yet in most respects their racism and bigotry runs much deeper and has much more genuine hatred and problems to it.
I'm an Australian living in a country that has a very multicultural society. It's also a country where what you're paid, where you live, the job you do, is dependant on your race. Most people have live in help and I can tell you that the Brits are some of the worst when it comes to treating these people badly. It's one thing to be PC and say the right things, it's another to actually follow through and treat people with respect, no matter where they're from.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
It wasn't long ago they were throwing bananas on the pitch and making monkey noises in the uk......
The crowd mate.. not the FA themselves... big difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.