Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I've got to give an interview

I've got to give an interview

Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've got to give an interview

I've sat in on a few and had a bit of input, but I've got give an interview all by myself tomorrow.

anyone got any tips? I'm going to be more nervous than the interviewee
j
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I've got to give an interview

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I've sat in on a few and had a bit of input, but I've got give an interview all by myself tomorrow.

j
Hi there
Just stay calm and relaxed, (easier said that done I know) the interviewee will probably be nervous as they don't know what questions you will put to them. At least you have the advantage of just asking the questions and then waiting patiently, for what will hopefully be the reply that you are looking for. Make sure that you jot down lots of notes, (or at least look to be doing that if you get a quick reply) as this will also give you time to reflect on their answers and elaborate further if necessary.
Most importantly, enjoy the moment and good luck.
I notice that you are in Bradford, where abouts? We live in Wilsden and I work at a high school in Allerton.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

j
Sorry, this is a bit long but here goes.....

Do's:

When they arrive eye contact and a smile is just as important for you as it is for them, make sure they're comfortable, have a drink of water/tea/coffee, ask them if they had problems finding the place (if you're tricky to get to), how did they find the journey there, how long did it take them etc, just a couple of easy ice breakers to help them (and you) relax. Explain that you'll be writing notes throughout the interview to help you make the right, informed decision as obviously its impossible to remember everything and that its not anything to worry about.

Explain about the company first, ask them what they know about any recent successes the company has had - mention something specific like have you heard anything about the recent contract signed with zzz ltd (gives you an idea of they have researched you so if they're genuinely interested or not - if someone hasn't looked into my company they get seriously marked down in interview), talk a little bit about those successes so they get the companies view, then a little bit about where the company is aiming to be, and then into the role itself, how it fits into the organisation, what is involved, reporting lines etc. Then into the questions.

Make sure your questions are open ended so you don't get into the yes, no answers. Ask for examples of what you're looking for - if the interviewee mentions a team success, ask them what their personal contribution was to that success - be prepared to draw them out as a lot of people are reluctant to sing their own praises. I always like to ask about mistakes - everyone makes them, but it gives you an idea of how they approach them. What was the mistake, how was it identified, how was it rectified and what did they do to try and prevent it happening again. One way of asking people questions that they have to answer in more than one or two words is to ask them to tell you about an occasion when they did xxx or yyy happened. What happened, how was it approached, what was their personal input to the situation etc.

Anything customer based, ask them to tell you about a tricky customer and how they dealt with it, same with team working, how did they approach team conflict.

Why are they looking for a new role, what sort of career development are they looking for (depending on the position you're interviewing for), whats the best thing and the worst thing (and why to both) about where they are now?

Remember that you're selling the company as much as they're selling themselves to you, you want them to want to work for you, so don't forget to give them the opportunity to ask you any questions at the end. The question/s they ask will give you a good steer on their priorities.

Make sure you write your notes up as soon as you can after the interview, and make them clear, and make sure that you won't fall foul of any discrimination laws in the written up version of the notes - assuming you're in the UK they are legally allowed to request copies of the interview notes if they are turned down, so be aware they may be viewed by others!

Don'ts:

don't do all the talking - its very easy to do when you're nervous!

don't mention age, marital status, kids, gender or race unless they specifically ask for the policy on something - if they do and you're not sure don't answer - explain that you'll get HR to define it precisely and you'll get back to them on that one.

don't stress it - it is scary as hell at first, but it does get a lot better very quickly!

Hope this helps, very best of luck!
Niki
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
That's all good stuff.
GP, it's Matt that's Bradford (Wyke), I'm from Leyland.
Jen
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:38 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
That's all good stuff.
GP, it's Matt that's Bradford (Wyke), I'm from Leyland.
Jen
If the person has a disability you its a good idea to ask them if there are any adjustments to the room they need
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi jenny
How did the interview go today?