Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I've been away but now am back (maybe)

I've been away but now am back (maybe)

Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been away but now am back (maybe)

Originally Posted by arkon
On the mid north coast I'd lost count of the number of times I'd go into 'town' for something and come back empty handed, it was at least a bi weekly event.
Stock control went something like....big gaping hole on the shelf where white ceiling paint goes....hole sits there for months until I need some white ceiling paint....I enter the PAINT shop and ask for some white ceiling paint....storekeeper who is person 1 of 8 working in said shop goes to empty hole on shelf and notices for the first time there is no white ceiling paint...mutters they will have to order it for me, come back in 2 weeks time...two weeks later re visit shop, still no paint ask where it is from same person as last time....Oh have we not got any? we will have to order it for you..repeat 2 more times until I run out of patience....On last visit insist he order it while I am there.....Oh I can't says he, the person that orders the paint is on holiday!

Never did get my paint.

Thank the gods. I thought it was just me this happened to...

S
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
If egos were as a threat to the environment as carbon, the tax rate here would be $1 million per tonne

"As I walk through the valley of w###kers"
Carbon is as much of a threat to the environment as oxygen

"As I walk through the valley of sheeple - and the people trying to make money out of them"
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:43 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

On the mid north coast I'd lost count of the number of times I'd go into 'town' for something and come back empty handed, it was at least a bi weekly event.
Stock control went something like....big gaping hole on the shelf where white ceiling paint goes....hole sits there for months until I need some white ceiling paint....I enter the PAINT shop and ask for some white ceiling paint....storekeeper who is person 1 of 8 working in said shop goes to empty hole on shelf and notices for the first time there is no white ceiling paint...mutters they will have to order it for me, come back in 2 weeks time...two weeks later re visit shop, still no paint ask where it is from same person as last time....Oh have we not got any? we will have to order it for you..repeat 2 more times until I run out of patience....On last visit insist he order it while I am there.....Oh I can't says he, the person that orders the paint is on holiday!

Never did get my paint.
Oh Yes! Standard operating procedure, that.

I wanted a replacement Braun shaver foil: HN hadn't got one but said they would order it - couple of days. Week later - no foil. I went in several times over the next three months: each time it would be in within a couple of days.

Eventually I lost it - and then discovered it had not even been ordered "because we don't get any in any until we have at least five to order"!

It was, of course, my fault. Be unAustralian to think it inefficient and rude.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:52 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I wanted a replacement Braun shaver foil: HN hadn't got one but said they would order it - couple of days. Week later - no foil. I went in several times over the next three months: each time it would be in within a couple of days.

Eventually I lost it - and then discovered it had not even been ordered "because we don't get any in any until we have at least five to order"!

Don't know if I ever recanted the tale of the time I went into the shoe shop in Taree for a size nine pair of shoes. The shop had not one single pair of size 9's in any style, when I asked why they had none, they said they only order new stock every 3 months!! So basically everyone that needed that size had to go without for 3 months minimum and that's only if they remembered to order them.

Or the time I went into Big W for a pair of jeans, all the legs on every pair were 33" I'm a 29" so I asked the assistant where her size 29"'s were and she replied they only stock size 33", to which I naively said 'what? do all Australians only have 33" legs?' She looked at me in disgust and walked off. Later I found out you had to buy the jeans for $25 then spend another $25 in the shop outside to get them altered and everyone did this!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:07 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Or the time I went into Big W for a pair of jeans, all the legs on every pair were 33" I'm a 29" so I asked the assistant where her size 29"'s were and she replied they only stock size 33", to which I naively said 'what? do all Australians only have 33" legs?' She looked at me in disgust and walked off. Later I found out you had to buy the jeans for $25 then spend another $25 in the shop outside to get them altered and everyone did this!<<

Standard procedure outside the cities - you are expected to get mile long legs and cut 'em down. Then of course the fit is all wrong, but who cares?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

why bother with that shower of shit?

eBay is the place for that kind of stuff
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Or the time I went into Big W for a pair of jeans, all the legs on every pair were 33" I'm a 29" so I asked the assistant where her size 29"'s were and she replied they only stock size 33", to which I naively said 'what? do all Australians only have 33" legs?' She looked at me in disgust and walked off. Later I found out you had to buy the jeans for $25 then spend another $25 in the shop outside to get them altered and everyone did this!<<

Standard procedure outside the cities - you are expected to get mile long legs and cut 'em down. Then of course the fit is all wrong, but who cares?
M&S online - free shipping at the moment

All sizes available and they are very consistent across their range
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
why bother with that shower of shit?

eBay is the place for that kind of stuff
Because they are the only store near here, that's why.

But I agree about the internet - and that's the reason Gerry Harvey's so upset; because he hasn't kept up.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wol
Because they are the only store near here, that's why.

But I agree about the internet - and that's the reason Gerry Harvey's so upset; because he hasn't kept up.
I have never shopped at HN

I just bought some water filters for my fridge. Good Guys wanted over $80 each. eBay $50 delivered - genuine LG product and from an Aussie retailer. I could have got them cheaper from an overseas retailer too.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:33 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Oh indeed. I wouldn't imagine he's been missed by many.
cue the abusive PM from Hutch.

Funny how someone who is in self-imposed exile will happily send you random abusive karma or PMs whenever his name is used in vain. Just goes to show that Hutch may not be with us anymore, but his spirit is still here (either that, or his google alert settings are still on)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Never did get my paint.
Jesus Christ. It would be immensely fustrating. Suggestion - perhaps you should have pointed out the gaping hole in those early months...and come to think of it, any other holes...just on the off-chance. I think we are agreed though the environs around Taree are a dump. I have had a fair amount to do with that area - or near by. A funny part of the world - so close to Sydney yet so far.

Have to admit, I do occasionally have to order stuff, and you know what, it arrives.

But in the main, I order myself from online stores.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:40 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
M&S online - free shipping at the moment

All sizes available and they are very consistent across their range
But you can't try them on. I just bought 3 pairs of chino's from M&S but in the intervening years they have *improved* them to have elasticated waist that now don't seem to stay up on me even with a belt. I now look like fracking humpty dumpty. it will cost more to send them back than buying them in the first place so now I need to find a wall to sit on.

Last edited by arkon; Mar 19th 2013 at 1:42 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:41 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
cue the abusive PM from Hutch.

Funny how someone who is in self-imposed exile will happily send you random abusive karma or PMs whenever his name is used in vain. Just goes to show that Hutch may not be with us anymore, but his spirit is still here (either that, or his google alert settings are still on)
Owww, I didn't get one, please post it so I don't feel left out.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:46 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

But you can't try them on. I just bought 3 pairs of chino's from M&S but in the intervening years they have *improved* them to have elasticated waist that now don't seem to stay up on me even with a belt. I now look like fracking humpty dumpty. it will cost more to send them back than buying them in the first place so now I need to find a wall to sit on.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I was rather under the impression that legs and arms in many outfitters are supposed to be an inch (etc) too long and you then finish to length.
No shop really stocks a huge range of leg lengths - if your leg length is under 30" you are in a minority. I quite like jeans shops because they often have a 34, 32 or 30 (say).

Wol, I find some of the better trousers I have bought are deliberately cut straight and the idea is that you get them hemmed - and as a discerning customer you want them the right length. As you say, standard manufacturing decrees for some cuts that if you are a 30inch leg (say) then you must have a 36" waist etc....and so they would be boxy trousers made even worse when shortened again.

I got some moleskins years ago and whilst they were hemmed to the right length - they had left a sodding thick hem on them - broadcasting to the world that they had been shortened - however the service was fantastic - I sent them back, and they came back perfect with a normal natural-sized hem as fast as you could turn them around.

There is a shop in Melbourne which does perfect alterations to jackets for a very reasonable price. Last year, I had a jacket sleeve shortened a fraction and even narrowed in the cuff. You can't tell they've been pulled apart and remade.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 19th 2013 at 1:52 pm. Reason: apologies for being a shop bore - just getting in the spirit of the thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.