Isle of Wight

Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice
Default Re: Isle of Wight

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
We drink in the Old Fort, nothing nicer than sat there on a summers eve watching the boats sail in and out of Pompy, and now you have the Spinnaker tower to admire.

I also love sitting in the Yacht club and watching the sun go down.
We love sitting in the Old Spice Island pub watching the boats leave Pompey, in the shadow of the Spinnaker!
Going over to the Island on Thursday next week though, can't wait! The OH wants to go fossil hunting
There is a meet up in Ringwood this Sun, but of course you probably wouldn't want to lower yourselves to come on to the mainland
Would consider coming over to the Island for a meet up if finances allow though!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

hi pursers,
nicky is away untill thursday, but we are getting together on friday night, we could all meet up if you fancy it.
Isle
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

Originally Posted by isle
hi pursers,
nicky is away untill thursday, but we are getting together on friday night, we could all meet up if you fancy it.
Isle
Bother, would love to meet up on the Island, but we have to come back Thurs night this time as we're working on Friday!
But, we are planning on coming back to IOW in about 4 weeks time when I've finished working for good, so maybe we can organise something for then, can't go mad partying I'm afraid, we'll have our gorgeous monkey of a daughter (17 months) with us, but she's usually good humoured enough when we drag her around everywhere!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

no problems, give us a bell before you come.
Do you have family here. What part you coming to.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

No family there, we just want to visit before we go for good. The OH is a keen fossil-hunter and wants to have a look, and we've looked at it on the map and from the Spinnaker, but never managed to get across the Solent yet! Shame on us, we're only just up the A3 from Portsmouth!
I'm from Kent originally, and the OH is an Aussie, so the IOW is a little mysterious for us
Going to have a look at the map before we go and just cruise around for the day....any tips on what to see?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by the pursers
Bother, would love to meet up on the Island, but we have to come back Thurs night this time as we're working on Friday!
But, we are planning on coming back to IOW in about 4 weeks time when I've finished working for good, so maybe we can organise something for then, can't go mad partying I'm afraid, we'll have our gorgeous monkey of a daughter (17 months) with us, but she's usually good humoured enough when we drag her around everywhere!
Hi there pursers,
Would be great to meet up when you come over. Hope you had a great time fossil hunting, did you go to the place up military road? My friends OH has found some really cool fossils on the beaches around here. What do you like doing? We usually play the tourist when friends visit, got some coming over this weekend.

Like Isle said it would be good to meet up.

Nicky
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Not doing much damage to the drinks cabinet at the moment, could be running out of time the house sale should be done and dusted by the end of November, so, it will have to be empty by then or when we sell the cabinet.
A meet around Portsmouth or Southampton wouldn't be too bad but we would have to be able to come across as foot passengers as the ferry is so expensive.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigeresswhite
Not doing much damage to the drinks cabinet at the moment, could be running out of time the house sale should be done and dusted by the end of November, so, it will have to be empty by then or when we sell the cabinet.
A meet around Portsmouth or Southampton wouldn't be too bad but we would have to be able to come across as foot passengers as the ferry is so expensive.
Ferry was dirt cheap last time I used it.................mind you it was quite a while ago................ way back in 1970 .........what a gig.

Spent about a week camped in a bunker on a golf course near Afton Down along with at least 500,000 other people.

From memory we saw Tiny Tim, Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Kris Kristofferson, Donovan, Tony Joe White, Supertramp, Procol Harum, Melanie Safka, Chicago, Taste, Family, The Doors, Free, Joni Mitchell, Alvin Lee's Ten Years After, Emerson Lake And Palmer, Mungo Jerry, John Sebastian, Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, Richie Havens, ................. and I'm sure there were more?

As rock festivals go....... it was a belter.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Ferry was dirt cheap last time I used it.................mind you it was quite a while ago................ way back in 1970 .........what a gig.

Spent about a week camped in a bunker on a golf course near Afton Down along with at least 500,000 other people.

From memory we saw Tiny Tim, Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Kris Kristofferson, Donovan, Tony Joe White, Supertramp, Procol Harum, Melanie Safka, Chicago, Taste, Family, The Doors, Free, Joni Mitchell, Alvin Lee's Ten Years After, Emerson Lake And Palmer, Mungo Jerry, John Sebastian, Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, Richie Havens, ................. and I'm sure there were more?

Does anyone know if Spitbank Fort is still open to the public.
I know that you could take a ferry trip out to it on a Weds evening....not sure if it is still open.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Does anyone know if Spitbank Fort is still open to the public.
I know that you could take a ferry trip out to it on a Weds evening....not sure if it is still open.
Google spitbank fort and it will tell you all you need.
They are open april to october and have special evening events and sunday lunches.
Did you know that once a year when the tide is low that you can walk around st helens fort.
Isle
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bobcat

Sounds like one of the wickedest festies ever from what I've been told...my mates parents were there and saw Jimi play but can't remember much about the rest of the festy!!
We came over to the Island yesterday and had a great time. The weather was sooooo perfect, not even a slight breeze down on the beach, gorgeous sunshine, had the beach to ourselves pretty much! Our daughter loved to splash in the sea and had a tantrum when it was time to go back in the buggy
OH had a lobster dinner in Bembridge and we came back on a late ferry.
Looking forward to coming back over in a few weeks. It cost £45-50 to bring the car, we got it free with our Tesco vouchers. Much better than spending them on shopping!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there pursers,
Would be great to meet up when you come over. Hope you had a great time fossil hunting, did you go to the place up military road? My friends OH has found some really cool fossils on the beaches around here. What do you like doing? We usually play the tourist when friends visit, got some coming over this weekend.

Like Isle said it would be good to meet up.

Nicky
We tried for fossils at Whitecliff Bay but no luck, the princess had a bit of a tizzy anyway so we walked back to the Driftwood cafe and the OH had a beer and we chilled in the sun. The OH is actually marking off where we went yesterday on his UK road atlas, right now!
We have enough vouchers to bring the car over again for free, and have to book it 2 weeks in advance, so we can let you know when we're thinking of coming again. Probably have to be mid-week though as the OH works weekends till Nov 5th, then we're having a mega-party for our mates that weekend, and leaving for Oz the weekend after (She says hopefully, as I still don't have my visa at this point )

If you guys work during the week, maybe we could meet up for a pub dinner or something?
Would be lovely to meet up! We're into walking all over the place, he likes beer, we just like to explore places really, pretty easy to please in that respect! Any local knowledge you can offer much appreciated
Will be in touch as soon as sorted another day out to come....
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the pursers
We tried for fossils at Whitecliff Bay but no luck, the princess had a bit of a tizzy anyway so we walked back to the Driftwood cafe and the OH had a beer and we chilled in the sun. The OH is actually marking off where we went yesterday on his UK road atlas, right now!
We have enough vouchers to bring the car over again for free, and have to book it 2 weeks in advance, so we can let you know when we're thinking of coming again. Probably have to be mid-week though as the OH works weekends till Nov 5th, then we're having a mega-party for our mates that weekend, and leaving for Oz the weekend after (She says hopefully, as I still don't have my visa at this point )

If you guys work during the week, maybe we could meet up for a pub dinner or something?
Would be lovely to meet up! We're into walking all over the place, he likes beer, we just like to explore places really, pretty easy to please in that respect! Any local knowledge you can offer much appreciated
Will be in touch as soon as sorted another day out to come....
That would be great to met up. Where are you heading? We are going to Perth on 26th November. I have Wednesdays and Thursdays off, Mark does all sorts of shifts and not sure what Isle is up to. Please get in touch and we will definately have to sort something out.

Nicky
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

That would be great to met up. Where are you heading? We are going to Perth on 26th November. I have Wednesdays and Thursdays off, Mark does all sorts of shifts and not sure what Isle is up to. Please get in touch and we will definately have to sort something out.

Nicky
Cool
We're headed off via my sister in the US for 3 weeks in Nashville, then on to his brothers around 8th Dec for 3 weeks - in Perth Then back to Melbourne for New Year and a big reunion with our mates
Looks like you might be showing us around the IOW and Perth!!!
Will look at the dates this week to come back to the Island, Wed or Thurs are great for us. Fossil hunting is on the list again for next time!
Speak soon! I'll PM you about meeting up in a few weeks' time!
TASZ
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:00 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Cowes somewhere on Sunday....my eldest is playing in a cup game against an IOW team.....love the island, particularly Shanklin.....and like others love sitting at Spice Island watching the ferries going out of Pompey.....but don't love it enough to want to stay! We could arrange a drinkies picnic for the game if any help!!Ems x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.