Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Internet Broadband connection

Internet Broadband connection

Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Broadband connection

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah I remember you saying before Wendy. Is it the same prob with you?

I have no idea, they keep telling me different stuff so I've given in. I'll be moving by the end of May, so will wait until then to worry about it. The main excuse I get is that I'm on the 'wrong exchange' and they can't move me beacuse the 'right exchange' is full!.

But God help them if they don't get me BB when I move!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

silvershadow68 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys for all your fantastic speedy reply's. He has just arrived, so by the looks of it, probably didnt spend to much time looking for the best provider. I will forward alot of this info onto him, and hopefully he will get himself sorted shortly.

cheers everybody

Tom
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have no idea, they keep telling me different stuff so I've given in. I'll be moving by the end of May, so will wait until then to worry about it. The main excuse I get is that I'm on the 'wrong exchange' and they can't move me beacuse the 'right exchange' is full!.

But God help them if they don't get me BB when I move!
Almost sounds like the same prob.

Thing is, the only way to find out 100% is to actually apply for it, and get the signal down the pipe!

I bunged this number into a few of the 'line checker' things on the net and it said my exchange was enabled for ADSL, but when I go ahead and move, THEN try to transfer, I now get told that we're full up thanks! ... keep trying and you might get lucky one day!

Excellent! ...

IF we have to move again, and my money is on that we will, I'll get it wrote into the contract that no BB = no contract!!

What else can I do! ...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Almost sounds like the same prob.

Thing is, the only way to find out 100% is to actually apply for it, and get the signal down the pipe!

I bunged this number into a few of the 'line checker' things on the net and it said my exchange was enabled for ADSL, but when I go ahead and move, THEN try to transfer, I now get told that we're full up thanks! ... keep trying and you might get lucky one day!

Excellent! ...

IF we have to move again, and my money is on that we will, I'll get it wrote into the contract that no BB = no contract!!

What else can I do! ...
They said exactly the same to us when we first signed up. We're locked in to the contract for two years now though!

If I can't get it at the next house, then I'm going to erm......cry

I know Telstra say you have to register your interest for it on their website, then when they get enough signatures they will upgrade the existing exchanges. But I'll be buggered if I can find out where to 'register my interest'
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

I know Telstra say you have to register your interest for it on their website, then when they get enough signatures they will upgrade the existing exchanges. But I'll be buggered if I can find out where to 'register my interest'
A friend recently moved over and into a new house and had to wait a while till a certain amount of interest was in before they'd upgrade their exchange. The house / street is brand new and after a few months of people moving in they had enough and now they're sorted.

My prob I think is my area is quite established and altho there is new houses going up, not a lot! I don't see much call for it, plus I'm in banjo county almost and you can't even pick up ONE FM radio stn here ...lol

Oh well, I hope to hear from Bigpoo in one way or another tomorrow with probably a 'sorry, we can't get a port' ... and then the same with current ISP the day later.

Then I guess we move as this just can't go on. Pity as it's a lovely house ...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A friend recently moved over and into a new house and had to wait a while till a certain amount of interest was in before they'd upgrade their exchange. The house / street is brand new and after a few months of people moving in they had enough and now they're sorted.

My prob I think is my area is quite established and altho there is new houses going up, not a lot! I don't see much call for it, plus I'm in banjo county almost and you can't even pick up ONE FM radio stn here ...lol

Oh well, I hope to hear from Bigpoo in one way or another tomorrow with probably a 'sorry, we can't get a port' ... and then the same with current ISP the day later.

Then I guess we move as this just can't go on. Pity as it's a lovely house ...

The people who own the houses where I am at the minute all have to pay $350 when they build to have BB cables installed, cheeky buggers eh, since there's no BB supplied to the estate at all yet

Some can get ADSL but I'd guess at only around 20% of the entire estate.

We need to set up a petition for BB to be available everywhere!! (not that Telstra would listen)
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

(not that Telstra would listen)
Exactly! ...

Anyway, my allocated crap 56k time is up.

Talk soon ...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The people who own the houses where I am at the minute all have to pay $350 when they build to have BB cables installed, cheeky buggers eh, since there's no BB supplied to the estate at all yet

Some can get ADSL but I'd guess at only around 20% of the entire estate.

We need to set up a petition for BB to be available everywhere!! (not that Telstra would listen)
Very crap indeed - since broadband 'cables' are just ordinary phone lines! Any provisioning happens at the exchange.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Well as predicted, can't get ADSL for love nor money, and no sign of when we can!

EXCELLENT!

So $1,000 it's just cost to move has to be paid again, and we're back to realestate.com looking for ANOTHER new house! ...
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
Very crap indeed - since broadband 'cables' are just ordinary phone lines! Any provisioning happens at the exchange.

Now I'm pissed off, because the guy I spoke to at Optus told me that they were waiting for Telstra to lay the cables

I really should read up on it all, then I can call them liars.