Internet Broadband connection

Wikiposts

Internet Broadband connection

Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:24 am
Just Joined

silvershadow68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Broadband connection

Hi Guys,
Posting here from the Uk. Just had a mate who has emigrated to Perth (Wembley) area, and he has asked me to ask about broadband connection speed. He has been telling me that it is appalling, and cant believe he cant get the same sort of speed,while he was living here in the Uk. Like myself we both had 8mb connections, and unlimited downloads. He was telling me he is joining Optus ( currently supply the phone service he has), but i cannot believe what he is telling me what his capped downloads are, & download speed. Is this Common problem in Australia, or has he choosen the wrong supplier.

If my info is incorrect, could someone please supply some advice on what companies offer the best Broadband in Perth Australia area.

Cheers Everbody

Tom
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Internet Broadband connection

Originally Posted by silvershadow68
Hi Guys,
Posting here from the Uk. Just had a mate who has emigrated to Perth (Wembley) area, and he has asked me to ask about broadband connection speed. He has been telling me that it is appalling, and cant believe he cant get the same sort of speed,while he was living here in the Uk. Like myself we both had 8mb connections, and unlimited downloads. He was telling me he is joining Optus ( currently supply the phone service he has), but i cannot believe what he is telling me what his capped downloads are, & download speed. Is this Common problem in Australia, or has he choosen the wrong supplier.

If my info is incorrect, could someone please supply some advice on what companies offer the best Broadband in Perth Australia area.

Cheers Everbody

Tom
take a look at www.whirlpool.net.au
they have forums discussing the ins and outs of all the ISPs and a great tool for finding a BB package to suit your needs
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

8mb IS available in WA
http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/broadband/adsl/

they have various plans depending on what downloads you want...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridie
8mb IS available in WA
http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/broadband/adsl/

they have various plans depending on what downloads you want...
I am with iinet and they offer ADSL2 with speeds of up to 24Mb, this has been available for quite a while here and am not sure if it is available at all in the UK yet...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Cheers Everbody

Tom
I use iinet and I can apparently get 24mB/s from the exchange I am connected to where they have installed their own DSLAM hardware. The actual speeds are conditional on the distance from the exchange and quality of line signal. I get about 12mB/s although friends of mine have told me they can get higher transfer rates. You will also need an ADSL2+ modem.

I think most Aussie ISPs "shape" your transfer rate down to dialup speeds (~60kB/s) when you exceed your contracted transfer limit. This is unlike my experience in the UK where I was able to buy extra GBs if I exceeded my limit. I preferred that arrangement but it wasn't available when we first arrived in Oz.

The Whirlpool website mentioned earlier is good source of info.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by grunty123
I use iinet and I can apparently get 24mB/s from the exchange I am connected to where they have installed their own DSLAM hardware. The actual speeds are conditional on the distance from the exchange and quality of line signal. I get about 12mB/s although friends of mine have told me they can get higher transfer rates. You will also need an ADSL2+ modem.

I think most Aussie ISPs "shape" your transfer rate down to dialup speeds (~60kB/s) when you exceed your contracted transfer limit. This is unlike my experience in the UK where I was able to buy extra GBs if I exceeded my limit. I preferred that arrangement but it wasn't available when we first arrived in Oz.

The Whirlpool website mentioned earlier is good source of info.
another iiNet user here too... i've not known anyone to get glose to the 24Mbps, i'm about a k from our exchange and even with the connection throttle set at full the best i get is 11Mbps
some ISPs do charge for excess usage, have you looked for a different provider?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
Why can't he believe that? He does know he's moved to a different country, doesn't he?

Anyway - you'd have to be bonkers to join Optus when there are myriad superb ISPs out there. For starters try Internode and iiNet.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
another iiNet user here too... i've not known anyone to get glose to the 24Mbps, i'm about a k from our exchange and even with the connection throttle set at full the best i get is 11Mbps
some ISPs do charge for excess usage, have you looked for a different provider?
I haven't looked since we set up our deal with iinet. In actual fact I just ended up choosing a plan that meant it would be unlikely for me to exdeed the limits.

I just preferred the option for excess usage rather than getting my bandwidth "shaped" without warning. Do you know of any ISPs who offer decent transfer rates and an option to purchase additional data transfer.

Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by grunty123
Do you know of any ISPs who offer decent transfer rates and an option to purchase additional data transfer.

Cheers
in truth, no i don't know of one, but then i haven't looked either because i prefer the shaped to the charged idea
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
For starters try Internode and iiNet.

I did (Internode) and faultless. 8mb line with 40GB p/m usage which was just enough for $89 p/m.

Something to think about tho is my current prob. I've moved house a week ago and Internode cannot connect me at new exchange ... I have roughly 48hrs and both Internode will get back with their 3rd and final attempt, and Bigpond (BT equiv) who I swore I'd never use again!! ... get back to say if THEY can connect me!

End of the day the cables are owned by Telstra (Bigpond) so I'm hoping they'll be able to do something.

No joy from both, and we move AGAIN! ... 4 net hungry PC's in this house and I cannot stand any more arguing over MY PC with it's pathetic 56k connection!

Crazy really that in 2007 I cannot get ADSL! ... crazy crazy stuff

Rant over, but prob worth looking into if and when ANYONE is looking at an area / house. There was time when 'pool', 'air con' etc were at the top of the list when looking at a new rental. ADSL was surely just a matter of switching over, but if we don't get it then ADSL availability will be the ONLY pre requisite for the new rental!! ...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Cheers Everbody

Tom
He's got the wrong ISP. I have iinet 24Mb ADSL2+ with a 40Gb cap then shaped (although this has never been applied). I get an effective 17-19Mb. It costs about $70/month. I'm very happy with it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic

I did (Internode) and faultless. 8mb line with 40GB p/m usage which was just enough for $89 p/m.

Something to think about tho is my current prob. I've moved house a week ago and Internode cannot connect me at new exchange ... I have roughly 48hrs and both Internode will get back with their 3rd and final attempt, and Bigpond (BT equiv) who I swore I'd never use again!! ... get back to say if THEY can connect me!

End of the day the cables are owned by Telstra (Bigpond) so I'm hoping they'll be able to do something.

No joy from both, and we move AGAIN! ... 4 net hungry PC's in this house and I cannot stand any more arguing over MY PC with it's pathetic 56k connection!

Rant over, but prob worth looking into if and when ANYONE is looking at an area / house. There was time when 'pool', 'air con' etc were at the top of the list when looking at a new rental. ADSL was surely just a matter of switching over, but if we don't get it then ADSL availability will be the ONLY pre requisite for the new rental!! ...
Sorry to hear that mate. Our entire exchange went 'down' the other day and we were on the dialup for 10 days - pain in the arse for most people, but when you earn your living online ... ! Fact is, we simply wouldn't have moved here if ADSL hadn't been available, though there is a local Wireless ISP here called Snoopa who offer a 512/512 service for $80pm. Anyway - fingers crossed for a result on Internode.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic

Welcome to my world

It's just stupid isn't it. I hate having to use just dialup, it's driving me mental!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry to hear that mate. Our entire exchange went 'down' the other day and we were on the dialup for 10 days - pain in the arse for most people, but when you earn your living online ... ! Fact is, we simply wouldn't have moved here if ADSL hadn't been available, though there is a local Wireless ISP here called Snoopa who offer a 512/512 service for $80pm. Anyway - fingers crossed for a result on Internode.
Yeah someone said I was in a good area for Wireless, but it had a 3Gb p/m cap ...lol, fat lot of good! ...

Apparently I can rent 2 lines, ISDN with unlimited usage for $99 p/m but altho we don't run any business like yourself, we STILL need a fair amount of bandwidth!

Both Bigpond and Internode will try for a port over next day or so, gotta go with Bigpoo for the best chance, and then equivalent package will cost $149 p/m but it's almost got to the stage that cost really isn't an issue ...

Crazy!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Welcome to my world

It's just stupid isn't it. I hate having to use just dialup, it's driving me mental!!
Yeah I remember you saying before Wendy. Is it the same prob with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.