Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Insurance in case the worst happens?

Insurance in case the worst happens?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all
Default Insurance in case the worst happens?

Hi All, well sold my house this week!! Hooray and to the guys in the whinging pom house seller thread hang on in there it only takes 1 person!

Anyway to the point - for £89 for a family (per year) I can get insurance that pays for flight and accommodation back home if the worst happens to any of my close family and friends. Seems sensible. Just wondered if anyone has done this or has encountered any problems as seems a bit too good to be true.

Thanks
Michelle
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insurance in case the worst happens?

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi All, well sold my house this week!! Hooray and to the guys in the whinging pom house seller thread hang on in there it only takes 1 person!

Anyway to the point - for £89 for a family (per year) I can get insurance that pays for flight and accommodation back home if the worst happens to any of my close family and friends. Seems sensible. Just wondered if anyone has done this or has encountered any problems as seems a bit too good to be true.

Thanks
Michelle
Hi Michelle

Great news about the house! Can you post the website for this insurance as would like to get this ourselves!

Thanks

Debbie
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Michelle
I think this would be unlikely to cover one-way emigration. You would have to buy a return ticket to Australia and prove to the insurers that you were on a year-long holiday.

The only company that I am aware of that does one way travel insurance to Australia specifically for emigrants is www.go-walkabout.co.uk.

Buzzy
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think this would be unlikely to cover one-way emigration. You would have to buy a return ticket to Australia and prove to the insurers that you were on a year-long holiday.

The only company that I am aware of that does one way travel insurance to Australia specifically for emigrants is www.go-walkabout.co.uk.

Buzzy
Hi, Its called kinsure and was recommended by my agent so pretty sure it is for migration but pretty hopeless in understanding insurance terms and conditions so probably a catch! Comes up if you google it! (Not sure if allowed to put the name sorry if not - Ive not bought it yet!)
Michelle
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Its called kinsure and was recommended by my agent so pretty sure it is for migration but pretty hopeless in understanding insurance terms and conditions so probably a catch! Comes up if you google it! (Not sure if allowed to put the name sorry if not - Ive not bought it yet!)
Michelle
There are some conditions as to who is classed a "close relative" (friends are definitely not included) and also an age condition (i.e. if your close relative is 80 years old, they can't be included).

So, just check that your relatives meet the conditions before you pay.

(Note for Buzzy-Bee: OP isn't talking about one-way travel insurance, but about insurance that will pay her flight and accommodation costs if she has to go back to the UK because a close relative is dying or has died.)

Gina
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle
Ah OK I understand what this is now. It is not medical insurance or travel insurance. Basically if you live in a different country from your family and they fall ill, this will pay for you to fly to them at short notice. "For an annual premium, Kinsure will pay for travel and accommodation, including transfers and taxi fares to and from the hospital."

Make sure you understand what this actually covers you for before you buy it.

Buzzy
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Ah OK I understand what this is now. It is not medical insurance or travel insurance. Basically if you live in a different country from your family and they fall ill, this will pay for you to fly to them at short notice. "For an annual premium, Kinsure will pay for travel and accommodation, including transfers and taxi fares to and from the hospital."

Make sure you understand what this actually covers you for before you buy it.

Buzzy
Thanks. Got a couple of months to go but recently there has been a lot of threads of people having to go back suddenly due to family illness so think it will give me a bit of piece of mind! But hopefully never to be used.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My parents took it out for many years - again, just as insurance, hopefully never to be used. We didnt need it at the time thank goodness!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info,
I have been reading their website and it seams a realy good thing to have. My mother is over 75 so can't cover her but it will cover the rest of the family and also my mother in law should any thing happen. I've also emailed the web site to my brother in law in Perth.