Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Importing illegal goods

Importing illegal goods

Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of
Default Importing illegal goods

Okay, now I have your attention, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Situation; My dear, dear OH wants to ship what I think can best be described as a replica sword stick (basically a walking stick in two parts with a sword-shaped bit of metal on the inside). Now I note from the AQIS site that sword sticks are on the list of things they don`t like.

Questions;

1. Are AQIS going to accept that it is indeed a replica? (Seriously, the worst you could do with the blade is give someone a bit of a bruise. Or maybe bore someone to death with the story of how you haggled the Turk in the Grand Bazaar into giving you a bargain price.)

2. Does Question 1 matter? Is a replica `weapon` as bad a real one?

3. What`s the worst that could happen? Would we end up with a fine/criminal record or would they just confiscate it?

OH thinks I should hacksaw off the blade, which seems a lot of effort and kind of defeats the object of having the thing in the first place. I certainly know what I would like to do with the thing given the sword, the OH and no witnesses...

Anything that helps us resolve this issue in a non-violent manner would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing illegal goods

Originally Posted by Prudi
Okay, now I have your attention, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Situation; My dear, dear OH wants to ship what I think can best be described as a replica sword stick (basically a walking stick in two parts with a sword-shaped bit of metal on the inside). Now I note from the AQIS site that sword sticks are on the list of things they don`t like.

Questions;

1. Are AQIS going to accept that it is indeed a replica? (Seriously, the worst you could do with the blade is give someone a bit of a bruise. Or maybe bore someone to death with the story of how you haggled the Turk in the Grand Bazaar into giving you a bargain price.)

3. What`s the worst that could happen? Would we end up with a fine/criminal record or would they just confiscate it?

OH thinks I should hacksaw off the blade, which seems a lot of effort and kind of defeats the object of having the thing in the first place. I certainly know what I would like to do with the thing given the sword, the OH and no witnesses...

Anything that helps us resolve this issue in a non-violent manner would be appreciated.

Saw off the blade thus making a 'replica walking stick with detachable handle' . . . not on the AQIS list of banned items. Fill the newly formed cavity with contraband . . . decent tea (loose leaf as bags won't fit) or 'proper' marmite (messy but worth the effort).
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Saw off the blade thus making a 'replica walking stick with detachable handle' . . . not on the AQIS list of banned items. Fill the newly formed cavity with contraband . . . decent tea (loose leaf as bags won't fit) or 'proper' marmite (messy but worth the effort).
I prefer coffee, and am quite happy to have Vegemite as a Marmite substitute. Do you think I could fill the cavity with water and ship my two goldfish?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer coffee, and am quite happy to have Vegemite as a Marmite substitute. Do you think I could fill the cavity with water and ship my two goldfish?
I can only assume you've never tasted Vegemite.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:10 am

gedge has disabled reputation

It'll only get chucked on the AQIS bonfire so any ideas of retaining the thing are irrelevant.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
I can only assume you've never tasted Vegemite.
No, OH left some here, and it`s okay. Mind you, I have a suspicion that in my youth I lost many taste buds to my mother`s cooking...

Originally Posted by gedge
It'll only get chucked on the AQIS bonfire so any ideas of retaining the thing are irrelevant.
Maybe they can use the skewer to toast marshmallows...
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:55 am

gedge has disabled reputation

No, OH left some here, and it`s okay. Mind you, I have a suspicion that in my youth I lost many taste buds to my mother`s cooking...

Maybe they can use the skewer to toast marshmallows...
With what they charge you for the pleasure I reckon they can afford more than marshmallows.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Vegemite...... i need a puke icon
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:03 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Questions;

You would have to get an exemption for it via customs and the Police, replica or not (they don't even allow airsoft in this country!). Pain in the arse really; Australians (govt) really are over regulated wankers somtimes. By bringing it in you could get charged with importation of a prohibited weapon which is quite serious.