Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I'm rehoming my cats today ...

I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Well, the time has come. Many out there may think I'm cruel and heartless, but today we've been given the go-ahead to take my cats to the local animal sanctuary, and it's a decision we've taken with a heavy heart. We've had our two cats since they were kittens and they are now 15 years old and I don't want to put them through the trauma of being shipped off to Australia, however well they might be looked after on the way. Unfortunately my cats have not been happy since we had children and won't even come in the house any more, so I know I'm doing the right thing by taking them to a sanctuary not far away where I am confident they will be well looked after for the rest of their days if they can't be re-homed (it's difficult to re-home older cats apparently). I feel awful about it but at the same time I know deep down that it's the best thing for them. They are not really happy at home with us and taking them with us to Australia would not help them at all because they will still be frightened of the kids (I still don't know to this day why they should be scared of kids other than that they're noisy and run around a lot!?). Anyway, today's the day and even though we haven't sold the house yet, it's one worry off our minds because if there's a space available at a sanctuary it's not a good idea to turn it down in case another opportunity doesn't present itself.

Wish me luck ...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:25 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Well, the time has come. Many out there may think I'm cruel and heartless, but today we've been given the go-ahead to take my cats to the local animal sanctuary, and it's a decision we've taken with a heavy heart. We've had our two cats since they were kittens and they are now 15 years old and I don't want to put them through the trauma of being shipped off to Australia, however well they might be looked after on the way. Unfortunately my cats have not been happy since we had children and won't even come in the house any more, so I know I'm doing the right thing by taking them to a sanctuary not far away where I am confident they will be well looked after for the rest of their days if they can't be re-homed (it's difficult to re-home older cats apparently). I feel awful about it but at the same time I know deep down that it's the best thing for them. They are not really happy at home with us and taking them with us to Australia would not help them at all because they will still be frightened of the kids (I still don't know to this day why they should be scared of kids other than that they're noisy and run around a lot!?). Anyway, today's the day and even though we haven't sold the house yet, it's one worry off our minds because if there's a space available at a sanctuary it's not a good idea to turn it down in case another opportunity doesn't present itself.

Wish me luck ...
My heart goes out to you. I have three cats and the decision over what to do about them is probably one of the hardest that I've faced - and none of the options available are easy choices really, are they?

At the end of the day, you're doing the best you can for your cats. I know it's harder to find homes for older cats, but it does happen and hopefully it won't be too long before someone gives them the loving home they deserve.

Nicky
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:34 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh good luck It's so hard isn't it - I can totally understand your reasons for doing it but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking does it

I know I've got to rehome my two cats before we go - the one I have no trouble with as everyone is always trying to smuggle him home anyway but the other one is just ferral, he's so viscious sometimes that there's no chance of me rehoming him. I have to put him outside when people come because my friends are scared of him! Poor mite. I'm sure he doesn't mean to be so scary!

How do you go about rehoming them? I have tried the Cats Protection League before and the RSPCA when the viscious one scratched my baby's face just by his eye (twice now he's done it) but they just wouldn't take him and I don't know what else to do
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
My heart goes out to you. I have three cats and the decision over what to do about them is probably one of the hardest that I've faced - and none of the options available are easy choices really, are they?

At the end of the day, you're doing the best you can for your cats. I know it's harder to find homes for older cats, but it does happen and hopefully it won't be too long before someone gives them the loving home they deserve.

Nicky
Thanks Nicky, that's what I keep telling myself. At least they're not too far away and I'm happy in the knowledge that even if they don't find new homes, they will have a home at the sanctuary for the rest of their days.

Have you made a decision about your three?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:47 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for you...........................our two are going to their new home in the next couple of weeks and I know I shall blub like a baby
We have been lucky in that friends of ours with a smallholding are taking them so I know they will have a happy life, but it doesn't make it any easier.
Hang in there you know you have made the right decision for yours

Loz x
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:50 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicky, that's what I keep telling myself. At least they're not too far away and I'm happy in the knowledge that even if they don't find new homes, they will have a home at the sanctuary for the rest of their days.

Have you made a decision about your three?

Yes, after much soul-searching, they're all coming with us. I hope to God it's the right decision but I do feel confident that they'll be fine once once they're back with us.

Nicky
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a cat fan myself, but the missus is, big time. I always said to her that I was happy for the cat to come here with us, but she took the view that they're wholly different to poochs (our dog is here with us now). Fortunately her mum (another huuuge cat fan) gave Mukka a home, which was one in the eye for her dad who'd blocked her getting a moggy for many a year. Only trouble is they almost taunt her with the cat on the webcam (they weren't that happy about us moving here) - but the cat's happy and she passed comment on my FIL by throwing up all over his duvet the other week.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh,they will be fine, as long as they get fed and there's a nice cuddle going. They will enjoy the peace! 2 of our 3 went daft with the arrival of babies and became even more timid and clingy.But then 2 died...
My oldish lady is coming with us...despite living behind the sofa til the kids have gone to bed! She is 9 and I have to admit I think she may be happier to stay but I am being selfish. My sis in Oz has a daft cat too , so they can be daft together!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:51 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Wish me luck ...
Awe, really feel for you, but you know its for the best.

We had to have our two dogs (German Shepherds) rehomed and I know it just breaks your heart! We can't take them with us either, one is very old and could take the journey I'm sure, the other is completely mad and would last five minutes! She digs into every burrow she sees, I know she would get seriously hurt by whatever lurks in Aussie burrows!

The good thing is they are only half a mile down the road from us now and we still get to see them every day, the new owners are really nice and love them very much. It really is the best outcome for them, although it will be heartbreaking saying the final goodbye.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Wish me luck ...
My cat went two weeks ago to the Blue Cross, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. We've had him since he was a kitten ( now 5 years old), but we decided we wasn't going to take him as he doesn't like travelling and our vet advised us against it. Phoned the Blue Cross up on Tuesday and he has been re homed with a family. House feels very empty without him and it feels very strange there's no clumps of cat hair around the house. Kids still haven't noticed.

Now just got to say goodbye to the family. My thoughts are with you.

Stacey xx
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Britishaussie]Well, the time has come. Many out there may think I'm cruel and heartless, but today we've been given the go-ahead to take my cats to the local animal sanctuary, and it's a decision we've taken with a heavy heart. We've had our two cats since they were kittens and they are now 15 years old and I don't want to put them through the trauma of being shipped off to Australia, however well they might be looked after on the way. Unfortunately my cats have not been happy since we had children and won't even come in the house any more, so I know I'm doing the right thing by taking them to a sanctuary not far away where I am confident they will be well looked after for the rest of their days if they can't be re-homed (it's difficult to re-home older cats apparently). I feel awful about it but at the same time I know deep down that it's the best thing for them. They are not really happy at home with us and taking them with us to Australia would not help them at all because they will still be frightened of the kids (I still don't know to this day why they should be scared of kids other than that they're noisy and run around a lot!?). Anyway, today's the day and even though we haven't sold the house yet, it's one worry off our minds because if there's a space available at a sanctuary it's not a good idea to turn it down in case another opportunity doesn't present itself.

A brave choice and IMO a sensible choice - I have made the same choice 2 years ago.

It was very hard and even now I still have a little cry and sad moment. But I still know I did the right thing.

both cats are ok and settled in their new homes and they had to go to seperate homes too - I did wonder abot going to see my cat (the other one was the family cat but Felix was mine) when I return for a holiday but to be truthful I don't think I could do it without breaking down and crying
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Ahh good luck It's so hard isn't it - I can totally understand your reasons for doing it but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking does it

I know I've got to rehome my two cats before we go - the one I have no trouble with as everyone is always trying to smuggle him home anyway but the other one is just ferral, he's so viscious sometimes that there's no chance of me rehoming him. I have to put him outside when people come because my friends are scared of him! Poor mite. I'm sure he doesn't mean to be so scary!

How do you go about rehoming them? I have tried the Cats Protection League before and the RSPCA when the viscious one scratched my baby's face just by his eye (twice now he's done it) but they just wouldn't take him and I don't know what else to do
thins rings a bell clippies -
the black cat - Pepsi was offered several homes - he was so lovable. So he went to live with OH's sister and is happy.

However I found it hard to let Felix go - and she was a vicious, feral cat to all but me. In the end I strcuk lucky with one of the kids in year 10 at the school I taught. I had to go and see the house where she was going to though. As soon as I saw they had 2 lovely cats allready - it made it easier to slet go - they obviously loved cats.

She settled after about 3 months.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm not a cat fan myself, but the missus is, big time. I always said to her that I was happy for the cat to come here with us, but she took the view that they're wholly different to poochs (our dog is here with us now). Fortunately her mum (another huuuge cat fan) gave Mukka a home, which was one in the eye for her dad who'd blocked her getting a moggy for many a year. Only trouble is they almost taunt her with the cat on the webcam (they weren't that happy about us moving here) - but the cat's happy and she passed comment on my FIL by throwing up all over his duvet the other week.

Ha ha ha - good on the cat

My sister in law does the same with my black cat too - she puts him on the web cam and all I want to do is stroke hima nd cuddle him....
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:10 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
thins rings a bell clippies -
the black cat - Pepsi was offered several homes - he was so lovable. So he went to live with OH's sister and is happy.

However I found it hard to let Felix go - and she was a vicious, feral cat to all but me. In the end I strcuk lucky with one of the kids in year 10 at the school I taught. I had to go and see the house where she was going to though. As soon as I saw they had 2 lovely cats allready - it made it easier to slet go - they obviously loved cats.

She settled after about 3 months.
I can't imagine me ever getting anyone to take Fudge on - he could really do with living on a farm or something like that. He's such a good mouser, and he eats them live too so you only have to clear up a bit of guts :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies

I had to take a cat to an animal sanctuary in the UK when the owner died. I found a place called Foal Farm ( www.foalfarm.org.uk) I think and they were fantastic. She was an old cat who was not rehomed but spent the rest of her life living with them. Eventually her kidneys failed her and they put her to sleep. They always kept in touch with me and even sent me photos of her from time to time.

They take most animals as you will see and the love and care they give them is amazing.

I used to take them a boot full of doggy food / cat food etc every Xmas.

Sharon

Last edited by BandS; Aug 25th 2006 at 3:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.