Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I'm rehoming my cats today ...

I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:20 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Well, the time has come. Many out there may think I'm cruel and heartless, but today we've been given the go-ahead to take my cats to the local animal sanctuary, and it's a decision we've taken with a heavy heart. We've had our two cats since they were kittens and they are now 15 years old and I don't want to put them through the trauma of being shipped off to Australia, however well they might be looked after on the way. Unfortunately my cats have not been happy since we had children and won't even come in the house any more, so I know I'm doing the right thing by taking them to a sanctuary not far away where I am confident they will be well looked after for the rest of their days if they can't be re-homed (it's difficult to re-home older cats apparently). I feel awful about it but at the same time I know deep down that it's the best thing for them. They are not really happy at home with us and taking them with us to Australia would not help them at all because they will still be frightened of the kids (I still don't know to this day why they should be scared of kids other than that they're noisy and run around a lot!?). Anyway, today's the day and even though we haven't sold the house yet, it's one worry off our minds because if there's a space available at a sanctuary it's not a good idea to turn it down in case another opportunity doesn't present itself.

Wish me luck ...
All the best - we were heartbroken at taking ours to a sanctuary...
It took quite a bit to get over as they were part of the family, but we knew we had done the right thing.

We then found out they had found new owners in less than a week and moved to a farm in the middle of the Kent countryside

T
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:21 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the time has come. Many out there may think I'm cruel and heartless, but today we've been given the go-ahead to take my cats to the local animal sanctuary, and it's a decision we've taken with a heavy heart. We've had our two cats since they were kittens and they are now 15 years old and I don't want to put them through the trauma of being shipped off to Australia, however well they might be looked after on the way. Unfortunately my cats have not been happy since we had children and won't even come in the house any more, so I know I'm doing the right thing by taking them to a sanctuary not far away where I am confident they will be well looked after for the rest of their days if they can't be re-homed (it's difficult to re-home older cats apparently). I feel awful about it but at the same time I know deep down that it's the best thing for them. They are not really happy at home with us and taking them with us to Australia would not help them at all because they will still be frightened of the kids (I still don't know to this day why they should be scared of kids other than that they're noisy and run around a lot!?). Anyway, today's the day and even though we haven't sold the house yet, it's one worry off our minds because if there's a space available at a sanctuary it's not a good idea to turn it down in case another opportunity doesn't present itself.

Wish me luck ...
I can sympathise with you, i had to rehome my two cats beofre i moved out here, my daughter has developed asthma and it gets so much worse when she is around cats !!! but thankfully a friend of ours took them, but it still didnt make me feel any better !!!

you're doing the right thing cause i would imagine a journey like that woulnt be good for a 15yr old cat!!!

fee x
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:14 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BandS
I had to take a cat to an animal sanctuary in the UK when the owner died. I found a place called Foal Farm ( www.foalfarm.org.uk) I think and they were fantastic. She was an old cat who was not rehomed but spent the rest of her life living with them. Eventually her kidneys failed her and they put her to sleep. They always kept in touch with me and even sent me photos of her from time to time.

They take most animals as you will see and the love and care they give them is amazing.

I used to take them a boot full of doggy food / cat food etc every Xmas.

Sharon
Seen it now! Thanks for the pm

That sounds a lovely place, thanks
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

If your not moving yet and for whatever reason are not taking your pets with you, Can I suggest that you hold onto them until after the summer. I reaslise it's one less thing on your mind but we are at breaking point at the moment.

I do breed rescue for my own breed and the summer is simply the worst time for us, we have the same amount of dogs to re-home but no homes due to prospective families holiday commitments.

All breeds have breed rescue workers (the KC will give you info if the big charities won't help you) but we where possible breed rescues home from home-to-home it's much less stress for the dog and doesn't deplete our funds by having to kennel.

Same goes for any of the rescues, summer is just the worst time, the shelters, stray pounds and breed rescues are all heaving with unwanted pets at the moment. At the moment one stray pound I know about currently has 27 dogs that have to be out by tonight or pts it's always like this every summer.

My own dogs, (visa pending) are all coming with me, by the time we go my oldest will be 14 years and the youngest 6 years. If your dogs aren't cage/crate trained it's a good idea to buy one early and use it on a day to day basis (double up as a bed/place to feed/haven from children etc) so this one thing that they'll be used to
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:26 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marvinc
If your not moving yet and for whatever reason are not taking your pets with you, Can I suggest that you hold onto them until after the summer. I reaslise it's one less thing on your mind but we are at breaking point at the moment.

I do breed rescue for my own breed and the summer is simply the worst time for us, we have the same amount of dogs to re-home but no homes due to prospective families holiday commitments.

All breeds have breed rescue workers (the KC will give you info if the big charities won't help you) but we where possible breed rescues home from home-to-home it's much less stress for the dog and doesn't deplete our funds by having to kennel.

Same goes for any of the rescues, summer is just the worst time, the shelters, stray pounds and breed rescues are all heaving with unwanted pets at the moment. At the moment one stray pound I know about currently has 27 dogs that have to be out by tonight or pts it's always like this every summer.

My own dogs, (visa pending) are all coming with me, by the time we go my oldest will be 14 years and the youngest 6 years. If your dogs aren't cage/crate trained it's a good idea to buy one early and use it on a day to day basis (double up as a bed/place to feed/haven from children etc) so this one thing that they'll be used to
Thank you for the advice

We are not moving to Oz until the middle of next year so we have some time yet before we rehome. When would you reccomend the best time to do it?

Kath x
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Clippies
Thank you for the advice

We are not moving to Oz until the middle of next year so we have some time yet before we rehome. When would you reccomend the best time to do it?

Kath x

Kath

Give it a few weeks to get past this busy period - and then make contact with a couple of local shelters or if a registered breed of dog the breed rescue closest to you, tell them your prediciment and your time scale. This gives the rescue 'time' which most of our callers either don't have (everyone is seemingly 'urgent') so your giving them time to find a good home for your pet. Most rescues that take dogs/cats in will have a waiting list of animals waiting to come in. Some breed rescue of smaller numerically breeds may well have homes actually waiting but the bigger numerically breed will always have more dogs than homes but by giving them 'time' you are certainly helping!

If you do have a dog for rehoming do be honest and give all information on the dog, so that the rescue/breed rescue can find a suitable home that will last! If the dog is in a home with children and/or cats do say as this all helps find a home quicker!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Smile Re: I'm rehoming my cats today ...

Wish me luck ...
Such a hard decision to have made.... our time will come next June and I'm dreading making the choice about what to do with our cat.

Good luck!
xx
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:16 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish me luck ...
Don't give them to Scossie http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392523
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:29 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Seen it now! Thanks for the pm

That sounds a lovely place, thanks
WOW - Foal Farm
That is where we took Hana & Maui and they found them a home in a week - they are great

Last edited by stevemich; Aug 25th 2006 at 10:31 am.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry everyone for not contributing further or answering questions, I've just been on holiday and only got back last night. The timing of the cats' rehoming was quite good really in a way because it meant we didn't have to bother the neighbours to look after them. They've gone to a farm which used to belong to Ozzy Osbourne (yes, seriously, he used to have a house nearby!). They will be well looked after and the lady who runs it is self-funded and takes in anything from gerbils to ponies. I'm glad they've gone to a good home. The organisation is a new one called ARRC and based in Stafford.

The Cats Protection League couldn't help us either, but they did give me this other organisation's details so they did help me out in a way. The CPL were overrun and had 42 cats they couldn't rehome.

Anyway, even though we're not going just yet (unless the house sells - got another viewing on Thursday), at least we won't have the problem of trying to find them a home last minute. I know they'll be happy even if they're not re-homed, they will be able to stay and end their days happily at the farm. I do feel a lot better now.

Thanks everyone for your advice/anecdotes and good luck to all those in the same position.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

We have decided to rehome our cats when it is finally our time to move. Oldest will be in his teens, one cat wees everywhere for months if too stressed (noticed when new baby arrived!!!). The third would probably not even notice that she wasn't in the UK anymore (cat of VERY little brain!) but is the twin of the widdler and don't want to separate them.

We have spoken to our local Cats Protection League (the twins came from them in the first place) and have agreed that as soon as our visas come through we will contact them and they will rehome them. But we will continue to home them while the CPL look. Saves the CPL a problem with temporary homing/feeding etc although I realise I will need to get onto them fairly regularly as they have no incentive to home them!

But it is a thought if time is on your side.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
We have decided to rehome our cats when it is finally our time to move. Oldest will be in his teens, one cat wees everywhere for months if too stressed (noticed when new baby arrived!!!). The third would probably not even notice that she wasn't in the UK anymore (cat of VERY little brain!) but is the twin of the widdler and don't want to separate them.
I know what you mean, my black cat, Arnie, was as daft as a brush and quite a clever cat, just hated children. However, the other one, Holly, was as brainless as they come, and was hopeless when it came to decent toilet habits (another consideration when you have little children). He took to using the lawn as a toilet like a dog would and now we have a bare patch where he's burnt the grass with wee and where he's pooed. Disgusting really.

If I'm honest I was much more sorry to see Arnie go than Holly. But they seemed very fond of each other and I would not want them separated.