Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

if you had lots of money

if you had lots of money

Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if you had lots of money

I had lots of money last week. I counted my change jar in readiness for converting it into the ice cream fund. $729.65 in coins collected over the course of a year. If Queensland ever joins the 20th [never mind the 21st] century they might get coin counting machines in banks & save me a job. 5% to bank it [already bagged]] is taking the piss.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:00 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I had lots of money last week. I counted my change jar in readiness for converting it into the ice cream fund. $729.65 in coins collected over the course of a year. If Queensland ever joins the 20th [never mind the 21st] century they might get coin counting machines in banks & save me a job. 5% to bank it [already bagged]] is taking the piss.
I wouldn't bank with an institution that charges to make deposits. Our local Commonwealth bank has counting machines. It takes your money then spits out a receipt which you take to the teller to deposit.

Elsewhere, if you bag coins according to the specifications on the plastic bags, it can just be a case of the teller needing to weigh it which shouldn't take too long.

Who charges 5% for pre-bagged change deposits?
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I wouldn't bank with an institution that charges to make deposits. Our local Commonwealth bank has counting machines. It takes your money then spits out a receipt which you take to the teller to deposit.

Elsewhere, if you bag coins according to the specifications on the plastic bags, it can just be a case of the teller needing to weigh it which shouldn't take too long.

Who charges 5% for pre-bagged change deposits?
Most banks do apparently, it's in their list of charges 10% if it's un bagged in some cases. I'm with the ANZ & they don't even have a coin counter in QLD according to their web page.
I also have a BOQ account & they charge $0.50 cents per bag if you count it & bag it into correct amounts or 10% of the value of mixed unbagged coins.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks do apparently, it's in their list of charges 10% if it's un bagged in some cases. I'm with the ANZ & they don't even have a coin counter in QLD according to their web page.
I also have a BOQ account & they charge $0.50 cents per bag if you count it & bag it into correct amounts or 10% of the value of mixed unbagged coins.
Go to coles and pay for your shopping in 5 & 10ct coins
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:26 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if its at the teller's discretion whether or not to impose the charge or if its the Manager's direction for them to do so.

Just because they can do something doesn't mean they will or should.

Unless you're a serial coin depositer I'd have a chat to the Manager or pick a friendlier branch.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Find a friendly child and cut them a deal.... A bank doesn't want to deter kids from saving, and waive the fee for kids, so we get them to take in the coin jars and slip them $5 for doing so....
Old Oct 6th 2013, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
Go to coles and pay for your shopping in 5 & 10ct coins
You can't do that here they made laws to stop you paying anyone more than $20 in coins
Our local Asda used to have a coin counter in the foyer that was over 10 years ago. Cash or Adsa vouchers by redemption. Not seen here yet though There are a couple of bank branches in Brisbane that have counters [Non ANZ branches]
I promised the grandkids that it was the ice cream fund for their holidays. I used one of those 10l spring water containers & once it got to half full it was that bloody heavy we counted it up a month early.
$300 worth of $2.00 coins looks nothing lol but $7 worth of 5c pieces is a bind to count. I tipped the lot onto the table & got the kids to sort it into 5,10, 20, 50, $1 & $2 coins then they stacked it up while I just levelled the stacks at the correct heights. Took about 2 hrs to count & bag it all.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Never been charged when i've taken mine to the local Westpac thankfully. Just as well when i'm trading in my millions from the said bottle !
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Never been charged when i've taken mine to the local Westpac thankfully. Just as well when i'm trading in my millions from the said bottle !
Do you, sorry does Linda, count it all into correct bags?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you, sorry does Linda, count it all into correct bags?
Of course, you know how fussy she is ( Well really she brings in the bags, i painstakingly count the money an lump it to the bank,then she spends it in a flash ! )
We do have an account with them and i have been asked whether i want cash or am i putting it into an account so maybe there are different rules one v other
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Of course, you know how fussy she is ( Well really she brings in the bags, i painstakingly count the money an lump it to the bank,then she spends it in a flash ! )
We do have an account with them and i have been asked whether i want cash or am i putting it into an account so maybe there are different rules one v other
Maybe the bank is just scared of Linda coming in and asking them why they charged you?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe the bank is just scared of Linda coming in and asking them why they charged you?
That's more like it
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If they charged me it would only lessen her spending power,then they would definitely be scared