Reload this Page >

If the Universe is everything

If the Universe is everything

Old May 11th 2009, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If the Universe is everything

Originally Posted by kporte
We may have some difficulty removing the Klingons from Uranus.
Excuse me... I don't have Klingons !
Old May 11th 2009, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Excuse me... I don't have Klingons !
Razor or epilatory cream?
Old May 11th 2009, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
Razor or epilatory cream?
sandpaper
Old May 11th 2009, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think someday we will work out how many senses we really having missing.

The fact that we have made time a reality for ourselves, and the probability that time doesnt really exist, is tied up with our misunderstanding of the Universe. Time is basically the measurement of movement between objects, and we've got it wrong. Still in the Stone Age as to our understanding of the big picture.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time
Old May 11th 2009, 6:44 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think someday we will work out how many senses we really having missing.

The fact that we have made time a reality for ourselves, and the probability that time doesnt really exist, is tied up with our misunderstanding of the Universe. Time is basically the measurement of movement between objects, and we've got it wrong. Still in the Stone Age as to our understanding of the big picture.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time
Give me the Stona Age any day. Wouldn't have to go to work for one thing.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Give me the Stona Age any day. Wouldn't have to go to work for one thing.
Or worry about apostrophes.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
The biggest question that occurs to me after reading this thread is:

What is the probability of there existing a planet somewhere in which the inhabitants all know how to use an apostrophe correctly? Technically, in an infinite universe, that planet must exist somewhere.
Metaphysics. Just Metaphysics.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:42 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
And its expanding, what is it expanding into ?

That question has been driving me crazy all morning !!!!
Maybe it's expanding into nothingness.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Loved the Boston Legal episode when Alan Shore and Denny Crane are fishing and Alan mentions some salmon parasites called Cling-ons. "Did you say Klingons?" replies Denny (Shatner).

Class
Old May 12th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Maybe it's expanding into nothingness.
But the nothingness must be something, or you would not be able to expand into it
Old May 12th 2009, 9:02 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Are there really stars?

Or are they just pin holes in the curtain of night?
Old May 12th 2009, 10:06 am
Account Closed

But the nothingness must be something, or you would not be able to expand into it
Not necessarily. If the nothing was something it would at least be a vacuum which means it was no longer nothing. I was suggesting true nothingness. With no boundary so it doesn't belong to anything.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The theory is that space itself *is* something in space-time, and outside spacetime there is, really, nothing. No time, no "nothing" (space).

Then there are the 10 ^500 universes predicted by some models of string theory.....

Last edited by Wol; May 12th 2009 at 10:51 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
The theory is that space itself *is* something in space-time, and outside spacetime there is, really, nothing. No time, no "nothing" (space).

Then there are the 10 ^500 dimensions of spacetime predicted by some models of string theory.....
It's a bit scary that space is defined by double negatives.

At times string theory sounds like clutching at straws theory Every time they hit a problem they invent another dimension to cope with it. Last time I looked they were up to 11 dimension with M-theory.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

And its expanding, what is it expanding into ?

That question has been driving me crazy all morning !!!!
I've just finished reading an excellent book on this very subject, written by the esteemed cosmologist Peter Greene, called The Fabric of the Cosmos.

I'm afraid I have no idea as to the answer to your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.