Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If the Universe is everything

Wikiposts

If the Universe is everything

Old May 11th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default If the Universe is everything

And its expanding, what is it expanding into ?

That question has been driving me crazy all morning !!!!
Old May 11th 2009, 11:01 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the Universe is everything

Originally Posted by Stu Ward

That question has been driving me crazy all morning !!!!
the universe is not expanding.

The galaxies are rushing apart.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

To quote

After Hubble discovered that the universe was expanding, Einstein called the cosmological constant his "greatest blunder."

Stu
Old May 11th 2009, 11:31 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I agree whats its expanding into? whats beyond the known universe and can it have an end point like aboundry?
Old May 11th 2009, 11:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by seang
I agree whats its expanding into? whats beyond the known universe and can it have an end point like aboundry?
But what comes after the boundary..... I've been wondering this for decades..

Old May 11th 2009, 11:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Ikea. But don't get excited, it'll still be impossible to find a parking space.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:49 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

New question to bend your heads:

If there was a boundary to the size of the universe in it's three dimensional form, and Time is the fourth dimension - then is there also a maximum boundary to the amount of time in the universe?
Old May 11th 2009, 11:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stu Ward

Its expanding into Man Cities trophy cabinet. Its totally empty and has been for an eternity.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
I've always suspected that it's expanding into chocolate custard.

Do you want to see my working equations?
Old May 11th 2009, 12:12 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
you and me both abc you and me both
Old May 11th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I was under the impression that the universe wraps around itself. Sort of like if one wanders off in any direction on the earth they end up back where they started. We can perceive that the earth is round because we work in 3d space. If we were stuck in 2d we wouldn't be able to perceive it.

The universe is just a higher dimensional version. Somebody asked that if the universe wraps around on itself could that mean we could see our own universe somewhere in the cosmos. I think they're still working on that....

That clear to you? It's not really clear to me
Old May 11th 2009, 12:48 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I was under the impression that the universe wraps around itself. Sort of like if one wanders off in any direction on the earth they end up back where they started. We can perceive that the earth is round because we work in 3d space. If we were stuck in 2d we wouldn't be able to perceive it.

The universe is just a higher dimensional version. Somebody asked that if the universe wraps around on itself could that mean we could see our own universe somewhere in the cosmos. I think they're still working on that....

That clear to you? It's not really clear to me
The biggest question that occurs to me after reading this thread is:

What is the probability of there existing a planet somewhere in which the inhabitants all know how to use an apostrophe correctly? Technically, in an infinite universe, that planet must exist somewhere.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage

What is the probability of there existing a planet somewhere in which the inhabitants all know how to use an apostrophe correctly? Technically, in an infinite universe, that planet must exist somewhere.
Oh Oh, the punctuation police are on the beat!
the grammar squad will be along in a minute
Old May 11th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Burbage

I'd give Captain Kirk a buzz. Maybe he'll know
Old May 11th 2009, 1:10 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Oh Oh, the punctuation police are on the beat!
the grammar squad will be along in a minute
Nothing wrong with misusing an apostrophe, it tells us a lot about the writer. I was just using an illustration indicate the concept of infinite.

Existentially, of course.

Any universe that contains a planet where everyone knows how to use an apostrophe has to be bigger than very big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.