Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If Scotland completely devolves

If Scotland completely devolves

Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:35 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default If Scotland completely devolves

I saw this BBC news article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8120695.stm - and it made me wonder about my own eventual status as I was born in Scotland (just outside Glasgow) but I grew up in Southern England (and Mauritius)?

Any guesses as to what my nationality would be if Scotland became a completely independent state? Would I be British/English or Scottish?

Yours curiously...
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Scotland completely devolves

This is a well-established thing in SNP dogma. It would be just like in the UK now: if you were born in Scotland, you would get Scottish citizenship (if you wanted it). If you were a British citizen now living in Scotland, you would get Scottish citizenship (if you wanted it). You could keep British citizenship (and in fact it's hard to get rid of British citizenship once you have it, unlike in other countries). And not even the frothing nats would want Scotland outside the EU, so it wouldn't be that big a deal anyway...

http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/talking6.htm

PS it's easier to talk about citizenship than nationality. Citizenship is a question of fact/documents/rights where nationality is all tied up with identity politics. It's really annoying how the UK laws talk about nationality when they mean citizenship...

Edit - just read the article. I am not surprised that Mike Jackson thinks that but I don't really know why he believes that Scotland would face a military threat. You tend to get military threats from ill-advised military adventurism in far off places and from your neighbours. Does he know about some plans that we don't? Also, if Scotland were independent and a member of the UN, it would have more influence on the UN than now (where it conceptually has about 1/10 of the UK's influence if at all) - just look at how microstates hold the balance on One China issues.

But I don't think either of those themselves are convincing arguments for indepedence per se. I think it's very interesting that the debate has shifted away from the real issues of everyday concern (healthcare, education, social services, justice) where devolution has been pretty successful and towards bizarro hypothetical national security issues with England portraying itself as the Soviet Union!

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Jun 28th 2009 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

[QUOTE=DunRoaminTheUK;7707874]I saw this BBC news article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8120695.stm

read this and got the impression that the Army would be lost without the Scottish regiments........and so they would ........ it is always the Scots lads that are thrown in first wherever the trouble...
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:43 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bithbheo;7707914]
Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I saw this BBC news article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8120695.stm

read this and got the impression that the Army would be lost without the Scottish regiments........and so they would ........ it is always the Scots lads that are thrown in first wherever the trouble...
thats cos they make good cannon fodder
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=stuckinblighty;7707932]
Originally Posted by bithbheo
thats cos they make good cannon fodder
I always thought that they were used because the (bag)piper normally made such an unbearable racket, as he moved into battle, that he would always draw enemy fire immediately, thus exposing the enemies position right from the get-go?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:53 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

So with independence what happens with the army bases, regiments, navy bases etc and all the jobs that go with it?

IMO Britain is greater than the sum of the parts of its nations.
[QUOTE=bithbheo;7707914]
I saw this BBC news article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8120695.stm

Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:21 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DunRoaminTheUK;7707938]
Originally Posted by stuckinblighty

I always thought that they were used because the (bag)piper normally made such an unbearable racket, as he moved into battle, that he would always draw enemy fire immediately, thus exposing the enemies position right from the get-go?
Ok then they make noisey,skirt wearing cannon fodder
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=stuckinblighty;7707970]
Ok then they make noisey,skirt wearing cannon fodder
Oi, less of the noisy, you

Although seems my family agrees with you, one or other of them keeps accidentally breaking my chanter.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:57 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

[QUOTE=TakenThePlunge;7708061]
Originally Posted by stuckinblighty

Oi, less of the noisy, you

Although seems my family agrees with you, one or other of them keeps accidentally breaking my chanter.
I never said that. But it's true...
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this BBC news article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8120695.stm - and it made me wonder about my own eventual status as I was born in Scotland (just outside Glasgow) but I grew up in Southern England (and Mauritius)?

Any guesses as to what my nationality would be if Scotland became a completely independent state? Would I be British/English or Scottish?

Yours curiously...
Funny, I assumed you were Welsh
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:07 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Funny, I assumed you were Welsh
I anticipated the contents of your post before I actually viewed it. I'm feeling very sleepy all of a sudden and I can't fight it! The potency of your boring repartee is simply too strong to resist.....Zzzzzzzzzz (I await your response about me dreaming of shagging sheep instead of counting them when I am asleep)....Zzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:09 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I anticipated the contents of your post before I actually viewed it. I'm feeling very sleepy all of a sudden and I can't fight it! The potency of your boring repartee is simply too strong to resist.....Zzzzzzzzzz (I await your response about me dreaming of shagging sheep instead of counting them when I am asleep)....Zzzzzzzzzzz
...so instead of going "1, 2, 3, 4" and so on, do you go "done her...... and her...... and him"?

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Jun 28th 2009 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:11 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

...so instead of going "1, 2, 3, 4" and so on, do you go "done her, and her, and him"?
You've done it now! You've pushed me over the edge into a very deep coma (this is an automated response)....
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

...do you go "done her, and her, and him"?
As in baasexual?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:15 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

You've done it now! You've pushed me over the edge into a very deep coma (this is an automated response)....
...would that be a sheep induced coma?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.