Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

if no one else will ask ,i will???

Wikiposts

if no one else will ask ,i will???

Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:46 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: if no one else will ask ,i will???

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Not you Tracey - I can't understand the fact that some people get bitter about it all and point the finger at people who do well. Surely this proves its not Australia - its the individual. If that individual is trapped for the time being it must hurt. Have to be honest, if I was unhappy here, it would 'hurt' and I'd feel pretty stupid. Maybe its a pride thing.

Badge mate, you know damn well how hard I've tried to make this work and it just doesn't for me. I cannot try anymore. And yes, it hurts. I wanted this to work for my family. We've spent so much money trying this it's silly. I never point the finger at people who love this place. In fact I envy them, in a nice way, because it would make it all so much simpler for us.

You are right too about it being an individual thing and not Australia's fault. Consequently how the bloody hell can people who sit in the UK, having only ever maybe been on holiday here, be so damned sure it will work for them eh? Some are so convinced (like Aston man) that they have tantrums every time somebody suggests that it may not work. Pathetic. They need to open their eyes and see, and try to understand that it's a 50/50 thing.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Agree with that, even those of us that are here and happy still get told to take of the rose tinted glasses!
As if we are not aloud to like here beacuse they dont.
Sam
its even been suggested to me I must be dull, boring and uneducated because I like it here.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with that, even those of us that are here and happy still get told to take of the rose tinted glasses!
As if we are not aloud to like here beacuse they dont.
Sam
Have to be honest, I'm in agreement with that and why I get irritated by a lot of pessimists (none of whom have even posted on this thread). That's what I said about 2-3 years ago. The thing is, its really no skin of our noses. We have nothing to lose. And infact, everything gained. The joke is very much on them.

You gotta see for yourself!!!

Tracey, is the OH coming around more to your way of thinking (about Perth I mean not Australia). Sounds like he has - I think you've said as much at least once.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Tracey, is the OH coming around more to your way of thinking (about Perth I mean not Australia). Sounds like he has - I think you've said as much at least once.
yes Badge he is. This is the man who absolutely loved Perth for the first couple of years here. Now he see's just how limiting it can be. He's getting bored of repeating the same old thing. He really wants to give Brisbane a try. If I'm honest, I don't think I can take any more moving and trying to make a new life. I've had enough. I'm worn out with trying.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Badge mate, you know damn well how hard I've tried to make this work and it just doesn't for me. I cannot try anymore. And yes, it hurts. I wanted this to work for my family. We've spent so much money trying this it's silly. I never point the finger at people who love this place. In fact I envy them, in a nice way, because it would make it all so much simpler for us.

You are right too about it being an individual thing and not Australia's fault. Consequently how the bloody hell can people who sit in the UK, having only ever maybe been on holiday here, be so damned sure it will work for them eh? Some are so convinced (like Aston man) that they have tantrums every time somebody suggests that it may not work. Pathetic. They need to open their eyes and see, and try to understand that it's a 50/50 thing.
It's haaaaard! Harder than a big bag of hard things! I think its more the attitude and the bitterness, not so much the decision. I think all potential migrants should be interviewed by their peers - happy and not happy. We could pick up those we feel won't like it here and/or advise/warn. I find I'm a pretty good judge of character and can spot the ones who won't like it here - there's often a few warning indicators which point that way.

You posted quite recently how disapointed you were with the UK on your return, but seemed to have changed your mind by looking at pretty pictures of the UK, so you've got demons to settle somewhere. I reckon you need to move interstate myself!

You're welcome to plug us for advice and in our house again.

cheers
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:12 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

tracey when i started this thread i had no intention of upsetting you i am deeply sorry that it has not worked out for you..and i mean that,i would never ever want anyone to be unhappy..and thats the truth..

as you say,how can i tell after a month,i think you ought to know i did not do anything in perth that i could not do everyweek.,in fact i will do a lot more when i'm there

as regards it working for me, it will,end of chat,,believe me ,whatever you think,i have no intention of taking my kids to the otherside of the world and it not working,,whatever is thrown at me i will get round it...and i mean anything..but if the poo hits the fan big time,,,then yes i will sell the house, come back and leave all the furniature there ,and i will be back here one day and working the next..oh and if my mrs would rather be in oz than with me,well she can bleedin stay there and i'll get myself another one..lifes only complecated if you make it that way,theres a way round everything..

as i said,i am sorry that you are so upsett,i had no intention of upsetting you..

i never ever mentioned any single member,and you were far from my thoughts..

Last edited by aston man; Feb 15th 2007 at 10:55 am.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
tracey when i started this thread i had no intention of upsetting you i am deeply sorry that it has not worked out for you..and i mean that,i would never ever want anyone to be unhappy..and thats the truth..

as you say,how can i tell after a month,i think you ought to know i did not do anything in perth that i could not do everyweek.,in fact i will do a lot more when i'm there

as regards it working for me, it will,end of chat,,believe me ,whatever you think,i have no intention of taking my kids to the otherside of the world and it not working,,whatever is thrown at me i will get round it...and i mean anything..but if the poo hits the fan big time,,,then yes i will sell the house, come back leave all the furniature there ,and i will be back here one day and working the next..oh and if my mrs would rather be in oz than with me,well she can bleedin stay there and i'll get myself another one..lifes only complecated if you make it that way,theres a way round everything..

as i said,i am sorry that you are so upsett,i had no intention of upsetting you..

i never ever mentioned any single member,and you were far from my thoughts..

Ast, I'm not upset by you, honest. I'm past being upset about life here, trust me.

I do hope everything you want, you find here, for all of you. I wouldn't wish for anyone to go through what we've, and others like me, have been through.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:26 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

this is the kind of thing i mean ,it may be a joke or a wind up but its not a million miles away from other things ive read..

I am here for 3+ months now. Best way to describe WA is.. nothing here. You will see some shops in every suburb, but you will find them closed than they are open. I live in Ardross and last Saturday 2.30PM I started with Applecross Hair Saloon - Closed, Mt Pleasent - Could not find a Saloon, Appsley Rd shopping center - Closed, Valhand Avenue - nice Chinese lady.. open. I traveled across 3-4 suburb to cut my hair. That's the reality here.
You have buses, but only during the time profitable for them to run. Very hard to find a taxi. Houses prices are unthinkable and no value for money at all. Rent, nothing left to rent. Everyone is trying to sell.
No places to eat out.. may be one or two places in each suburb. So you will end up eating at home everyday unless someone decide to open up a new restaurant. That's what has happened to us. Only good place to shop around is a place called Garden City in this area. That too closed most of the time than open.

I do not think even Hospitals here are open. The closest public hospital to where I am living is Fremantle. That's the distance I have to travel to get the govt benefits. Otherwise, pay for private. I do not have kids here, my friends are saying it is the same situation with schools.
You do not have traffic and air pollution compared to where we migrated from. Instead, you get traffic lights every 100Mts taking more time to travel around . I am sorry, this is my version. I do not have much good things to share with you other than the good job that I got in a very nice company.

I am really wondering how anyone say this is a wonderful place to live??? without saying what Perth/WA has. Beach.. you get all around Australia!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Some have said to me you'll hate Perth - too isolated ! Er ????
The same people live in London - now just let me say - I would rather cut off all my arms and legs than live in London.
Some have said to me - won't you find it boring ? The same people who live in my 'village' and haven't even been to spain ( cough)
Where you live is simply that - where you live - it's nothing to do with your lifestyle, your firends, your relations, how you love, who you love, what you love.
Thats an individual choice - and we're all entitled to that choice.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:41 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Perth three times or lived in Perth three times.
Just because you have been to a place doesn't mean you know what it's like to live there.

Originally Posted by tallbloke67
I couldn't agree with you more. I have been to Perth three times and we migrate there in three weeks. There does seem to be some angst from some people about Perth doesn't there? Yes the house prices have gone up but the economy there mirrors that fact.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

You will be homesick, it will be hard work.
I never got homesick....
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Aston heres some reasons people just cant just f off back if they dont like it.

Money, visas, fees shipping furniture to and fro, airfares for a family to and fro, cars, furniture at a loss, shipping pets, house selling in Uk then Oz........ have a go at it and see what a dent it makes in your total finances. Some might afford such a huge loss others cant.

Money, peope arrive get a tad excited and bought cars, boats, houses and often rushed into a business venture that never coughed up and before they go back they have the small matter of selling them all again quite possibly at a loss.

Family, do you really think everyone comes out here and every family member loves it? think about the struggles many families have with couples or families who become totally divided on where to live or the solution would be divorce and in some cases even split their kids up to solve it.

Marriage partnerships, not everybody here is from the UK, part of many couples posting are married to aussies.

Money, you come here with a wad cash from Uk, its doubles/trebles, magic. 2years later you now have aussie dollars real magic if you convert it, each dollar is now worth a packet of chocolate buttons.

Education, is 2 years of all round happy carefree education going to get and wills and charlotte passing their UK exams.

Education 3 years away and you go back and pay for kids uni education as a foreign student.

Kids, not everyone emigrates with toddlers, people with older kids often find they marry and have kids with aussies, if they leave they leave family behind her and the whole cycle starts again.

Work, IT booms, building booms come and go, working conditions, licences all those sort of things mean many come out here and dont find quite the wages they heard on 'wonder down under shows' a lot of people stuggle, maybe finding the money to just flit back again aint that easy.

You cant understand those things because nobody will think of them on a 2 week holiday.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 15th 2007 at 11:47 am.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice

You have buses, but only during the time profitable for them to run. Very hard to find a taxi. Houses prices are unthinkable and no value for money at all. Rent, nothing left to rent. Everyone is trying to sell.
COLOR][/SIZE]

sounds like cornwall only hotter think i might not get too homesick
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

this is the kind of thing i mean ,it may be a joke or a wind up but its not a million miles away from other things ive read..

I am here for 3+ months now. Best way to describe WA is.. nothing here. You will see some shops in every suburb, but you will find them closed than they are open. I live in Ardross and last Saturday 2.30PM I started with Applecross Hair Saloon - Closed, Mt Pleasent - Could not find a Saloon, Appsley Rd shopping center - Closed, Valhand Avenue - nice Chinese lady.. open. I traveled across 3-4 suburb to cut my hair. That's the reality here.
No places to eat out.. may be one or two places in each suburb. So you will end up eating at home everyday unless someone decide to open up a new restaurant. That's what has happened to us. Only good place to shop around is a place called Garden City in this area. That too closed most of the time than open.

I do not think even Hospitals here are open. The closest public hospital to where I am living is Fremantle. That's the distance I have to travel to get the govt benefits. Otherwise, pay for private. I do not have kids here, my friends are saying it is the same situation with schools.
You do not have traffic and air pollution compared to where we migrated from. Instead, you get traffic lights every 100Mts taking more time to travel around . I am sorry, this is my version. I do not have much good things to share with you other than the good job that I got in a very nice company.

I am really wondering how anyone say this is a wonderful place to live??? without saying what Perth/WA has. Beach.. you get all around Australia!!!

Strewth!! It's a tad quiet here, but it aint as bad as this!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW

If people want to sit in the UK spouting claptrap then let them, it'll be their loss if they've not taken into account the whole picture.

If people want to have tantrums and spit their dummies out because someone has dared to suggest that maybe things wont be as good as they expect again let them, move onto the next post feeling smug that you've at least tried to let them know the full picture. If they dont want to listen, again that's their loss.

Life is to short to worry about what complete strangers on a forum may or may not take on board when you've bothered to reply to their post. And if it upsets you that much best thing to do is either not open the thread, or if you do and find it's this type of thing then just close it and move onto the next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.