Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

IELTS Reading Topics

IELTS Reading Topics

Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation IELTS Reading Topics

At the moment, the study guide I am using has examples of Academic Reading and Writing in it. To be honest, I'm not a huge reader, as when you listen to over 20 children reading everyday, the last thing you feel like doing when you go home is reading yourself!

Anyhoo, my question is, as these are examples of 'Academic' reading, as opposed to 'General Training' I was wondering if there was much difference between the two?

The topics in this study guide for the reading have so far been, to be honest, quite boring and some have even been complicated! Some of the more complicated ones have been:
* 'Vanished: Who pulled the plug on the Mediterranean and could it happen again?'

* Space Travel and Health

*Scratching the surface (this one was about people developing itchy skin conditions which in the end, were just their imaginations playing tricks on them!!!???)

* The Anderton Boat Lift >> OMG SO BORING

* Life, but not as we know it - all about astrobiology, genomics and exobiology ---- YAWN, WHAT?!

* How lock picking works - surely u shouldn't be encouraging people?!

*Stars without stripes - all about business models in the uk, usa and europe, YAWNNNNNNNNNN AGAINNNNNNNN

* To MBA or not to MBA - all about whether having a masters is beneficial in your getting a job....

And the one I'm about to do ....

* The Ring Cycle - all about the rings inside trees

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me that the 'General Training' Reading samples are not as dull as the above and are more easily understandable?

I'M ABOUT TO CRACK UP!!!!!

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Mar 17th 2009 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Porter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS Reading Topics

Hi Jen , porter here to shed no light on this at all, but. I worked from the official Ielts practice material book and it has example readings and Q/A for both academic and general.The academic examples includes:
Spider silk cuts weight of bridges
Teaching in Universities ( up your street)
Rising sea levels
The general reading examples basically include looking at advertisements and answering questions on each one.
Another example shows a list of telephone services within a hotel with questions on that.
As this is the first time i have bothered to look at the academic questions i would say that they ARE harder than the general ones.
If it helps would you like my copy of this booklet?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porter
Hi Jen , porter here to shed no light on this at all, but. I worked from the official Ielts practice material book and it has example readings and Q/A for both academic and general.The academic examples includes:
Spider silk cuts weight of bridges
Teaching in Universities ( up your street)
Rising sea levels
The general reading examples basically include looking at advertisements and answering questions on each one.
Another example shows a list of telephone services within a hotel with questions on that.
As this is the first time i have bothered to look at the academic questions i would say that they ARE harder than the general ones.
If it helps would you like my copy of this booklet?
Ack no Mr, tis ok, it's just reassurance I'm looking for more than anything. Plus the IELTS is on Saturday so there'd be no time, but your offer is greatly appreciated. I'm doing what seems to be a 'General Training' practice exam here online, and it seems an awful lot easier!!! PHEW
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

BECCY.FR is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry jen had to have a nosey, not having done any of this nonsense, i must admit to finding the Anderton boat lift on the list quite intriguing did'nt you watch any of Fred Dibners programs on our Great British industrial heritage!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

When I did the IELTS I first scanned the text quickly then moved onto the questions and re-read the relevent bits. Most of it was quite straight forward but the true, false, not given ones were tricky. You can also spend ages double guessing yourself so go with your gut instinct then if you have time, go back and check any you're unsure of. The reading part is the hardest section I think. Good luck.

Chris.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by BECCY.FR
sorry jen had to have a nosey, not having done any of this nonsense, i must admit to finding the Anderton boat lift on the list quite intriguing did'nt you watch any of Fred Dibners programs on our Great British industrial heritage!
Erm......no?! lololololol
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by chrisling
When I did the IELTS I first scanned the text quickly then moved onto the questions and re-read the relevent bits. Most of it was quite straight forward but the true, false, not given ones were tricky. You can also spend ages double guessing yourself so go with your gut instinct then if you have time, go back and check any you're unsure of. The reading part is the hardest section I think. Good luck.

Chris.
Ta Chris My wee head's melted here lol
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

So was mine it had been more years than I care to remember since I had sat any sort of english exam but once you get into it it's not that bad. The worst part is the waiting for the results.
No wait, it is that bad lol.