Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Iam English Because......

Iam English Because......

Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant futurePoppy-21 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Iam English Because......

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
In answer to the original question as I can't be arsed to f**king go on about who did this and who did that.
I am English because I always make idle chit chat about the weather.

Who am I kidding I need to get it off my chest.

I Consider myself English as I was born here but I am also British. My Grandad was born in Scotland and his father was from Ireland, my Nana was born in lancashire and my Dads mum was from Wales.
I would like to know why is it all people from where ever they come from have every right to say they are proud to be whatever they are but heaven forbid an Englishman(or woman) say they are proud and the shit hits the fan. I don't see why people cannot just live and let live. It bugs the hell out of me, we have a really good friend of the family who is Scottish and if England are playing football he would support the opposite team, I asked him why and he said cause we hate the English, I always support another British team If England are not playing.
Well said. Karma sent
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:33 pm
Southampton Fc

Mark Saints 4 Eva has a spectacular aura aboutMark Saints 4 Eva has a spectacular aura aboutMark Saints 4 Eva has a spectacular aura about

Nice one could'nt have said it better myself.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

...I would like to know why is it all people from where ever they come from have every right to say they are proud to be whatever they are but heaven forbid an Englishman(or woman) say they are proud and the shit hits the fan....
It's because we are from the big, bad, oppressor nation, and therefore no longer have a right to assert a national identity. Instead, we are obliged to take a masochistic view of our history and teach our children to be ashamed of being English.

On the other hand, if you are from one of the small, plucky, oppressed, and infinitely-insecure-about-their-identity nations, then jingoism is obviously the order of the day.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:02 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

I would just like to say to you (who in my opinion opened this can of worms)its good that you are proud to be British but what right have you got to tell someone to "stop referring to being English in all your posts" why should someone not be proud of where they are from and why should they justify it to you.
End of!
my,my, someones spat the dummy
i didnt ask anyone to justify anything to me, why would i???? just like i dont have to justify anything i say to you what i was getting at was the op kept referring all his posts as being english, and inferring that only english people reply to his thread,
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:43 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You can feel the love in every post on this thread... what a happy nation we are. (Still amazed it made it to 9 pages without getting closed)
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:56 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

I would like to know why is it all people from where ever they come from have every right to say they are proud to be whatever they are but heaven forbid an Englishman(or woman) say they are proud and the shit hits the fan.
As was previously asked in this thread but failed to gain a (civilized) response...who is saying these nasty things like English people can't say they are proud or that they're English?

It hasn't been said in this thread so who are the bad people saying this to you?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
As was previously asked in this thread but failed to gain a (civilized) response...who is saying these nasty things like English people can't say they are proud or that they're English?

It hasn't been said in this thread so who are the bad people saying this to you?
I haven't read the whole thread, but look at the response NKSK version 2 got when he said he was proud of England's history and its position on the world stage (or words to that effect).
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:06 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebabaros
why?

You asked Why they were proud to be English and didn't like being called British,
This is what I was referring to.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!it is not are you British or English or have ago at the english thread.Now if you people(there is only a minority of you) that have issues with the title of this thread why don't you start up a new one like "I am .........(with what ever country you come from) because...." Thread.
I am fed up with "lets have a go at the English" and i have not once singled any race out on this Thread,and before any of you write "we have wound another Englishman up" let me tell you ,you are right.

I am not going to be lowered to the level of ;you s**g my country off so I will do it to yours or to calling you all w*****s this is not what this site is all about .
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:30 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ragner
WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!it is not are you British or English or have ago at the english thread.Now if you people(there is only a minority of you) that have issues with the title of this thread why don't you start up a new one like "I am .........(with what ever country you come from) because...." Thread.
I am fed up with "lets have a go at the English" and i have not once singled any race out on this Thread,and before any of you write "we have wound another Englishman up" let me tell you ,you are right.

I am not going to be lowered to the level of ;you s**g my country off so I will do it to yours or to calling you all w*****s this is not what this site is all about .
Ha, ha, ha...I take it this a joke! Have you actually read any of the posts in this thread?

The only person who had an issue with the title of this thread was an English person!

And don't give us any of the crap about "lets have a go at the English"...the only comments made about someone and their nationality was when a poster was referred to as a Scottish tosser....I don't see any anti-English comments in this thread on that level. Get over yourself.

Maybe you should have a look at some of the ant-Scottish drivel over in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457357

I don't see any Scots complaining about what's being written there. It's pretty obvious that you guys can give it out but you can't take it!

The thread has somehow been turned around by some English posters saying that they are not allowed to say they are English when there is no evidence of that whatsoever.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:41 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binky
Ha, ha, ha...I take it this a joke! Have you actually read any of the posts in this thread?

The only person who had an issue with the title of this thread was an English person!

And don't give us any of the crap about "lets have a go at the English"...the only comments made about someone and their nationality was when a poster was referred to as a Scottish tosser....I don't see any anti-English comments in this thread on that level. Get over yourself.

Maybe you should have a look at some of the ant-Scottish drivel over in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457357

I don't see any Scots complaining about what's being written there. It's pretty obvious that you guys can give it out but you can't take it!

The thread has somehow been turned around by some English posters saying that they are not allowed to say they are English when there is no evidence of that whatsoever.
Originally Posted by ragner

There may not be a lot of evidence on here about the fact that the English are not allowed to say they are English but there is plenty in England. Take for instance people not being allowed to fly the St. Georges cross in case they offend people or the fact that the census did not allow you to say you were English.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:47 am
Gone for Good

Originally Posted by annqldau
There may not be a lot of evidence on here about the fact that the English are not allowed to say they are English but there is plenty in England. Take for instance people not being allowed to fly the St. Georges cross in case they offend people or the fact that the census did not allow you to say you were English.
Yes, but that's in England - no one else is stopping you from saying it. Other people/nationalities can't be held responsible for that as implied throughout this thread.

I for one wish the English would fly the St George's cross instead of using the union jack at football matches and singing the BRITISH national anthem before English football matches - it's no wonder other people outside the UK are confused, let alone those in the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:22 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scossie
Well I see by you avatar that you're obviously a Gers fan.
So am I. I was a season ticket holder, (Copeland Rear) for 11 years before I emigrated.

I'd NEVER say I was British before Scottish though.
When I went to Ibrox I was a Scotsman supporting a Scottish team.
I hated all the, "Queen" crap that went with supporting Rangers.

I don't know what it's like now but when I left, some Rangers fans who were obviously Scotsmen were wearing England tops to the games.
I can't put into words how angry I was to see this.
I have nothing against England or the English but I once told a bloke at a game that he should be ashamed of himself for wearing and England top when he was Scottish. I asked him why he was wearing it. "I don't know. I just am." he said.

I didn't bother continuing the conversation as there didn't seem much point....

I have a season ticket for the Copeland rear too Scossie,had it for 20 years,row S seat 18,where were you?

Ive always been proud to be British,each to their own, and never had any problems with the English and i used to have an England shirt,why not,i showed my support for our English players at the time,the same way others buy Denmark,Croatia tops ect to show support for their foreign(non scots) players.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:02 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

You asked Why they were proud to be English and didn't like being called British,
This is what I was referring to.
yes, i asked 'why' as i was genuinely interested and not trying to be funny, there is a big difference, i did not ask anyone to justify anything, so you can put your toys back in your pram now and calm down
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:29 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
I have a season ticket for the Copeland rear too Scossie,had it for 20 years,row S seat 18,where were you?

Ive always been proud to be British,each to their own, and never had any problems with the English and i used to have an England shirt,why not,i showed my support for our English players at the time,the same way others buy Denmark,Croatia tops ect to show support for their foreign(non scots) players.
For 2 years I had a crap seat in the Copeland front. (Row A, Seat 4) right down in the corner towards the Govan Stand and I asked for a move.
My mate & I got moved to the Copeland rear, row Q, seats 7 & 8 in what used to be the yellow section before they replaced all the seats.

As you say, each to their own. I loved the fact that at one time we were poaching the cream of the England team to play for Rangers.
Who can forget the days of Butcher, Woods, Steven, Stevens, Wilkins, and Roberts all playing for The Gers at the same time.
I would still rather stick pins in my eyes than wear an England shirt though.

Last edited by Scossie; Jun 12th 2007 at 11:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.