Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

Wikiposts

I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I ribbed me Aussie mate at work today about it and his only reply was "cricket" ...
Yehp can honestly confirm not one person, at our workplace was upset about it... having the Laura Bingle connection caused people to see the humour.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:54 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally agree, and I would be most suprised, if most of Australia doesn't feel this way.
Thats the thing about the Olympics, people appreciate what a great achievement the individual has done for there country and themselves.

Just like the Weight lifter who won and stood on the dias with a picture of his dead wife. Thats what makes the Olympics special to me.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp can honestly confirm not one person, at our workplace was upset about it... having the Laura Bingle connection caused people to see the humour.
Exactly. Plenty of aussies found it funny, we had a couple that didnt get it had to remind them of Lara Bingle ad campaign last year then bingo.

See that ad campaign was back in the media recently, it turned out an absolute flop, tourism OZ decared it a waste of money, personally I never thought it would appeal to its target OS market. Next plan is to target the USA seems a bit crazy too, given the economic woes of the average American right now.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter asked me last night "Who won the Olympics?" I snorted and said thats a silly question. She meant the medals tally obviously But Like Brian I never look at it like that, to me its about an induvidual excelling in their sport and becoming the best in the world. The icing on the cake is representing your country and bringing home the gold.

However going by the gloating on here I know I'm out numbered and expect the slating thats headed my way...

As Ozzie says, lets hope the poms can do it all again in four years time cos certain people are gonna so deserve all the retaliation they get. Then again I suppose it will be the AUSSIES who are bad sports then as well.......
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
My daughter asked me last night "Who won the Olympics?" I snorted and said thats a silly question. She meant the medals tally obviously But Like Brian I never look at it like that, to me its about an induvidual excelling in their sport and becoming the best in the world. The icing on the cake is representing your country and bringing home the gold.

However going by the gloating on here I know I'm out numbered and expect the slating thats headed my way...

I think the only time I get exctied about any country winning anything is if its some bare footed runner from ethopia or something that showed some genuine skill, not that your from a country with a shed load of money spent on sport and steroids

We have mates in singapore, one day they were really excited cause they won one silver medal thought it was really cute

Some of the olympic bits that make me laugh are when (countries used as an example not due to any particular bias ) like when a 'aussie' runner with dredlocks a sari and a very nigerian tan or some 'aussie' snow sports star with a very canadian twang pop up, I wonder if its like soccer where they sell them to other teams.

OK back in me box