Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:27 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

Originally Posted by cresta57
Has anyone actually read Marcus Trescothick's Autobiography?
What a way to sell a few more copies, blame the whole Ashes victory on the humble Murray Mint. He'll be fed up to the eye teeth of eating his lifetimes supply of them before to long
Exactly... We need to remember that this is a book written by a former test player in the twilight of his career who's most likely to be best remembered for going home early from the disastrous 2006/7 ashes tour... No-one's going to read it if there's nothing juicy in there...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
If you discount swimming for a moment, far from being the super over-achievers the media like to portray them as, Australian athletes are average at best. Their record in the track and field events is woeful.

The article just reflects a general pervading sense that, if the ozzies don't win, then they've generally been cheated out of it.
Australia have never shone in athletics since I've lived here and I've never heard it said that they were cheated out of a medal!
For the first time in whoever knows how long, the UK got more golds than Australia, so why don't you all just enjoy it and not waste your time slagging off the Australians? Who knows if it will ever happen again - especially if the Scots acheive full independence!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Exactly... We need to remember that this is a book written by a former test player in the twilight of his career who's most likely to be best remembered for going home early from the disastrous 2006/7 ashes tour... No-one's going to read it if there's nothing juicy in there...
Given the way Tresco's career unfolded after said mint-munching series, if ever a piece of confectionary needed a food safety warning then this is it.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Australia have never shone in athletics since I've lived here and I've never heard it said that they were cheated out of a medal!
For the first time in whoever knows how long, the UK got more golds than Australia, so why don't you all just enjoy it and not waste your time slagging off the Australians? Who knows if it will ever happen again - especially if the Scots acheive full independence!
1. Because we've been ridiculed for years about our cricketing prowess
2. Because the shoe is now on the other foot
3. Because they like to give but cannot take.
4. Because aussie upstarts should be reminded of the pecking order in the grand scheme of things and be put in their place.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Bad losers - understatement of the year! Last week they had the medal table on TV (when we were lying 3rd) and we were missed out completely!
Best laugh I've had since moving here!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Given the way Tresco's career unfolded after said mint-munching series, if ever a piece of confectionary needed a food safety warning then this is it.
You can imagine their next advertising campaign.
To the tune of the old Opal Fruits ad: Murr-ay Mints made to make the ball smoother
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I know the Olympics has pissed them off, but...

England batsman Marcus Trescothick claims in his recently released autobiography that it was his job to shine the ball and he sucked a special brand of mints for the purpose.

Cricket laws forbid the use of "any artificial substance'' on the surface of the ball.

"I was firmly established as the man in charge of looking after the ball when we were fielding,'' Trescothick writes.

"It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish - and through trial and error I finally settled on the best type of spit for the task at hand.''

England's ability to get the ball to reverse swing early in the Australian innings regularly led to the downfall of the top order.
So Trescothick admits to cheating, but Australians are "sore losers" for mentioning it in a national newspaper. How does that work, exactly?

In any case, Trescothick's cheating is irrelevant to the outcome of the Ashes. The Poms didn't win because of some minty spit on the ball. They won because they played better cricket.

On a related note, I was delighted with Australia's success at the Olympics. We finished in the top 6 (as we usually do) and proved that there is still no country of comparable size that can match us in Olympic competition.

And fair play to Team GB, whose performance was superb.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

And fair play to Team GB, whose performance was superb.

Totally agree, and I would be most suprised, if most of Australia doesn't feel this way.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:46 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally agree, and I would be most suprised, if most of Australia doesn't feel this way.
Don't think most Sydneysiders are going to agree after that truck billboard driving around all day...!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:26 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I actually had a bloke screaming at me across the office the other day that its a total disgrace that the UK "wastes" so much money training sports people, and if they only know how tough it was for Australians to get any kind of government support for their Olympic campign then they would let the Aussies win............. You could hear him all down the corridor, he was like a spolit kid
Good to know i`m not alone then!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Has anyone actually read Marcus Trescothick's Autobiography?
What a way to sell a few more copies, blame the whole Ashes victory on the humble Murray Mint. He'll be fed up to the eye teeth of eating his lifetimes supply of them before to long
Mate, I thought it was a fascinating story on sporting techniques - a mint making all the difference. Shame that our usual sensationalists have to spoil it. Maybe they could get jobs with the Sun newspaper and feel right at home in their tabloid worlds(!)

Today, in the Age there was an amusing blog with an Australian poking a small amount of fun at London. The replies ran to 800!- hundreds of Brits logged hatemail on to an Australian newspaper and weren't just poking fun back - they were very angry. Makes me wonder who is really the worst sometimes....but blogs tend to attract people like that.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I may be slated for this but jeeze you lot are shameful

We win at something for a change and suddenly its Rule Brittania

I must live in a bubble as I haven't come accross anything like you lot have! And as for the snooze papers...who cares, they're all a bunch of hacks anyways
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I may be slated for this but jeeze you lot are shameful

We win at something for a change and suddenly its Rule Brittania

I must live in a bubble as I haven't come accross anything like you lot have! And as for the snooze papers...who cares, they're all a bunch of hacks anyways
F****ck me. Journos+ the lot of them. This is the one thing people forget - it's all a story in a rag. There are about 2/3 news formats I will read here and take *half* seriously -The Age, The Australian and ABC radio. Noone ever mentions the Australians writing in to the Mx, or even the Herald Sun complaining about tabloid excesses elsewhere.

+Where's Hutch now. What do we think of him:

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Alllllllllllllllllllriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ight"
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Don't think most Sydneysiders are going to agree after that truck billboard driving around all day...!
I'll check it out at work tonight, but I would expect 95 pct of locals would find it amusing.

I'd be amazed if most Aussies dont take the line that "its about time the poms won something"

Doing it twice is going to be the real test
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd be amazed if most Aussies dont take the line that "its about time the poms won something"
I ribbed me Aussie mate at work today about it and his only reply was "cricket" ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.