Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I have put too much oil in my engine?

I have put too much oil in my engine?

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have put too much oil in my engine?

Actually, I've mis-subjected the thread. Should be "I have put too much oil in my engine", but it is harmful?

2009 Toyota Camry, is burning oil. Dipstick showed oil close to the bottom dot. I got 5L of oil and dumped in half of it. The oil is now about 2cm above the top dot. Google search ... answers range from "it should be fine" to "drain it out to the right level". I've not done it before, but I can see the drain bolt underneath the engine and it looks like it'll be easy enough to drain.

But seeing as the engine is burning oil (separate issue*) will it harm it to leave it, as it is going to get burnt off anyway..?

*engine burning oil - mechanic didn't seem too stressed. Google has told me that maybe, just maybe, this is an issue known by Toyota and they may fix it for free, if the car is under 10 years old. Our car is 2009 though... I'll ask my local Toyota shop. Don't ask, don't get..
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: I have put too much oil in my engine?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Actually, I've mis-subjected the thread. Should be "I have put too much oil in my engine", but it is harmful?

2009 Toyota Camry, is burning oil. Dipstick showed oil close to the bottom dot. I got 5L of oil and dumped in half of it. The oil is now about 2cm above the top dot. Google search ... answers range from "it should be fine" to "drain it out to the right level". I've not done it before, but I can see the drain bolt underneath the engine and it looks like it'll be easy enough to drain.

But seeing as the engine is burning oil (separate issue*) will it harm it to leave it, as it is going to get burnt off anyway..?

*engine burning oil - mechanic didn't seem too stressed. Google has told me that maybe, just maybe, this is an issue known by Toyota and they may fix it for free, if the car is under 10 years old. Our car is 2009 though... I'll ask my local Toyota shop. Don't ask, don't get..
too much oil can be worse than it being on low side. The oil can get whipped up a bit (not good mechanic speak). Lots of cars burn a bit of oil. Oil can head to the bottom of the range and not necessarily be an issue. My light comes on when i hit the bottom of the range 1l from full and then I add 1/2 l.

I see it as a way of changing my oil more regularly - I top up after every 4k or so.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have put too much oil in my engine?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
too much oil can be worse than it being on low side. The oil can get whipped up a bit (not good mechanic speak). Lots of cars burn a bit of oil. Oil can head to the bottom of the range and not necessarily be an issue. My light comes on when i hit the bottom of the range 1l from full and then I add 1/2 l.

I see it as a way of changing my oil more regularly - I top up after every 4k or so.
Thanks. This isn't something I've done before, but I've found the drain bolt thing and assume it is just a case of loosening (or removing) it and out cometh the oil. Neither me nor the wife notice anything untoward when driving the car, but absolutely going to take the advice that I need to drain some oil out. The pain is 'when to do it'. When I get the time, it is after I've already used the car, and it doesn't seem to cool down especially quickly..
Old Mar 6th 2019, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If you need to drain,draining is as easy as you say..it will come out very quickly when warm or hot and initially spray sideways - get a oil tray? You can buy ones that close and become a container.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The advice to drain excess oil is correct, for the reason given, the oil will froth, whipped up by the crank, making it a thick, foamy consistency and will not flow through the engine properly.

For future reference, it is likely that the amount of oil to take you from the bottom dot to the top dot on the dipstick is 1liter (or1qt US) *, which is conveniently the size of the small bottles of oil. if you just need a bit to tide you over to your next service.

* This has been true for every vehicle I have owned so far - Fords, (UK & US), Hondas, and an Alfa.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers all for the advice.

I popped to see my mechanic yesterday to say "I've been a numpty" and to check that what I thought was the drain bolt was correct, etc.

He just said "yes that's right, but off you go for a wander and I'll sort it out for you". Asked him how much it'd cost to save me that bit of hassle. He just said "nah" and waved me off.

Top bloke. Well worth the six pack of beer and pack of TimTams I gave him to say thank you
Old Apr 1st 2019, 7:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Often they have a sucky thing that empties oil without the mess of removing the sump plug. Unusual for a Camry to be faulty, I've got a 2001 XV20 and just do the basics (filter, oil, plugs etc.) it just keeps going for year after year. However it is very, very boring to drive.

Old Apr 1st 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Often they have a sucky thing that empties oil without the mess of removing the sump plug. Unusual for a Camry to be faulty, I've got a 2001 XV20 and just do the basics (filter, oil, plugs etc.) it just keeps going for year after year. However it is very, very boring to drive.
Charis. I don't know how old you are, but you must be quite young, to have begun that last sentence with the word "however". As an old codger, I'd have started it with the word "and", or maybe "fortunately". My wife and I both have 1997 Toyota Windoms - an early version of Camry, I think. Wonderful cars, requiring minimal service, and - and - wonderfully boring to drive!