Brexit

Old Mar 24th 2019, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit

Hey guys, bit of a discussion (for those that care). I don't claim to know much about politics but I really am trying now.

So, as the title says.... Brexit. Will it help Australian trade? Will it make no difference? Or will it impact negatively?
Old Mar 24th 2019, 5:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit

Zeroth question : Will it happen?

To which I'd suggest the answer is "nope, not unless May and co. are even dumber than they look".
Old Mar 24th 2019, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Zeroth question : Will it happen?

To which I'd suggest the answer is "nope, not unless May and co. are even dumber than they look".
definitely a better question than mine haha. Although, I do believe it will happen.

The whole mess over how brexit has been conducted however, I believe will linger for a long time.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 1:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Hey guys, bit of a discussion (for those that care). I don't claim to know much about politics but I really am trying now.

So, as the title says.... Brexit. Will it help Australian trade? Will it make no difference? Or will it impact negatively?
Brexit will happen but when, who knows. It's a stupid idea but the people have voted for it so not doing it would be a betrayal of democracy.

Making a trade deal with Australia (and Canada and NZ) is a good idea and will benefit both countries but cannot take the place of trade with Europe - geography dictates that the main focus of the UK's trade should/must be with the EU. Free movement of people between the UK and Australia would be a bad move and should not happen.

Short term, I think the UK will suffer after Brexit but longer term, anything is possible. Unfortunately for them, they no longer have a great leader like M Thatcher who could make good things happen. There's not many politicians over there that are really inspiring - although Rees-Mogg comes close.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Brexit will happen but when, who knows. It's a stupid idea but the people have voted for it so not doing it would be a betrayal of democracy.

Making a trade deal with Australia (and Canada and NZ) is a good idea and will benefit both countries but cannot take the place of trade with Europe - geography dictates that the main focus of the UK's trade should/must be with the EU. Free movement of people between the UK and Australia would be a bad move and should not happen.

Short term, I think the UK will suffer after Brexit but longer term, anything is possible. Unfortunately for them, they no longer have a great leader like M Thatcher who could make good things happen. There's not many politicians over there that are really inspiring - although Rees-Mogg comes close.
A really good response!!! I agree free movement should not happen and would be a bad idea. More than anything I hope that the UK can prove sustainability on its own two feet.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

7031 is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that free movement between the UK and Australia is a bad idea? I'm not saying you're wrong but on the face of it it seems fairly logical - both English speaking countries with fairly similar levels of wealth. Really the main concern I'd have would be that post-Brexit, should the UK do poorly we may well see a bit of a brain drain.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Muggins Mogg a good politician are you serious? Probably are. No doubt the tweed suit that speaks of a bygone era of PG Woodhouse and company wins you over? Or is it his Plummy accent to scant regard for transparency or the vulnerable.

No one can yet relate just how the UK will be impacted. The UK has made a dog's dinner of the entire process. The terms of leaving still far from clear, with only weeks to go.

No Australia and the rest of the Commonwealth, will make no difference to UK post Brexit. One should recall UK left to join EU in the first place, due to Australia et al not being able to continue to serve national interests. with then existing trade arrangements.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7031
Out of curiosity, what makes you say that free movement between the UK and Australia is a bad idea? I'm not saying you're wrong but on the face of it it seems fairly logical - both English speaking countries with fairly similar levels of wealth. Really the main concern I'd have would be that post-Brexit, should the UK do poorly we may well see a bit of a brain drain.
Australia produces a lot of resources that UK has little need of. Australia has a small population, with little need of what UK produces. I don't see English speaking having anything to do with it. Money talks, hence Australia's position is increasingly tied to Asia by the year, both in trade and people immigrating.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7031
Migration between and into Western countries should be restricted to the highly skilled only. Mass movement of unskilled people into the west has caused resentment, hatred, mistrust and has driven down wages for the domestic population who can least afford it. There have been benefits but these have been far outweighed by the negatives - you see this in the UK, Canada, US, Western Europe and Australia. At the extreme end of this, the outrages in Christchurch, London, Paris, Stockholm etc are partly the result of these negatives. The UK is the major magnet for economic migrants (there are very, very few genuine refugees) in the West after America. Many of those people who get into the UK (who are a real soft touch) could end up in Australia. There is also a massive underclass in the UK who would be eligible to move here - again not good. Australia is economically and socially more successful than the UK and is wealthier (officially, not just my opinion) and migration between the countries would generally be one way - UK to Australia.

All in all, not a good idea.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 12:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Muggins Mogg a good politician are you serious? Probably are. No doubt the tweed suit that speaks of a bygone era of PG Woodhouse and company wins you over? Or is it his Plummy accent to scant regard for transparency or the vulnerable.

No one can yet relate just how the UK will be impacted. The UK has made a dog's dinner of the entire process. The terms of leaving still far from clear, with only weeks to go.

No Australia and the rest of the Commonwealth, will make no difference to UK post Brexit. One should recall UK left to join EU in the first place, due to Australia et al not being able to continue to serve national interests. with then existing trade arrangements.
I don't care what a person's background is or how they talk (seriously?) - just that they can do the job. Look at the great M Thatcher. She came from a very modest background but became one of the greatest post-war leaders. You see J Corbyn, who came from a privileged background but is basically a walking clusterf**k. RM is the best of a bad bunch. But I'm a conservative - who sees people on their merit, whereas you are a leftie who likes to pigeonhole everyone and divide them by class. There it is basically

Yes, the UK has made a mess of Brexit but so has the EU. Both equally to blame
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't care what a person's background is or how they talk (seriously?) - just that they can do the job. Look at the great M Thatcher. She came from a very modest background but became one of the greatest post-war leaders. You see J Corbyn, who came from a privileged background but is basically a walking clusterf**k. RM is the best of a bad bunch. But I'm a conservative - who sees people on their merit, whereas you are a leftie who likes to pigeonhole everyone and divide them by class. There it is basically

Yes, the UK has made a mess of Brexit but so has the EU. Both equally to blame
Well there had to be some attraction to Mogg, , and his policy not being one of them. He is somewhat of a 'poster boy' for Far Right in UK, so do understand the attraction to you.
Do not attempt to sell this character as a person for the people. He is for privileged and position.
He voted against laws to promote equality and Human rights (dirty word for Tories on the Right) Voted against an investigation into Iraq war . Voted against the rights of EU nationals already in UK. Generally voted against measures to prevent climate change. Supports scrapping legal aid.
Profited also from sale of pills widely used in Indonesia in illegal abortions. Generally vote for own interests with money making considerations paramount.
Nothing great about Thatcher apart from being the most divisive PM in modern history. Loved by the Right and White South Africans.

Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Migration between and into Western countries should be restricted to the highly skilled only. Mass movement of unskilled people into the west has caused resentment, hatred, mistrust and has driven down wages for the domestic population who can least afford it. There have been benefits but these have been far outweighed by the negatives - you see this in the UK, Canada, US, Western Europe and Australia. At the extreme end of this, the outrages in Christchurch, London, Paris, Stockholm etc are partly the result of these negatives. The UK is the major magnet for economic migrants (there are very, very few genuine refugees) in the West after America. Many of those people who get into the UK (who are a real soft touch) could end up in Australia. There is also a massive underclass in the UK who would be eligible to move here - again not good. Australia is economically and socially more successful than the UK and is wealthier (officially, not just my opinion) and migration between the countries would generally be one way - UK to Australia.

All in all, not a good idea.
What migration shouldn't be is linked with economy as in Australia, in order to boost GDP and blur real conditions. It is inclusive of all sectors, not purely unskilled. Flooding the country with over qualified people, unable to gain employment in area of expertise, or out sourcing professional locals, is highly undesirable as well.
The outrages of Christchurch has nothing to do with anything other than rage against an imagined enemy and Far Right Wing fascist ideology. Why do you attempt to make any more out of it than what it is? That being criminal activity of an ideological basis. Yes a massive under class has been allowed to build up in UK as a result of poor policy. The well off being rewarded while those at the bottom get constantly hammered. Australia has their own substantial and growing under class. Existing for similar reasons as UK, just not as long entrenched over many generations, back none the les growing. Australia certainly could not import UK's underclass in any number, expecting any degree of social harmony.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

I definitely agree with the free movement being a definite no no. Not just purely a selfish reason (I worked hard to get my visa as did many others) but mainly due to the demand of work for even skilled workers. I agree with the troubadour on this. I have struggled to find a job in my specified field. I'm lucky to have been offered one but it has taken a good few months and me having to be flexible and move home, 3 hours away from central Adelaide to the outback regions.

Old Mar 28th 2019, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia should accept reality and embrace the other members of "The Greate East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...sperity_Sphere
Old Mar 28th 2019, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What migration shouldn't be is linked with economy as in Australia, in order to boost GDP and blur real conditions. It is inclusive of all sectors, not purely unskilled. Flooding the country with over qualified people, unable to gain employment in area of expertise, or out sourcing professional locals, is highly undesirable as well.
The outrages of Christchurch has nothing to do with anything other than rage against an imagined enemy and Far Right Wing fascist ideology. Why do you attempt to make any more out of it than what it is? That being criminal activity of an ideological basis. Yes a massive under class has been allowed to build up in UK as a result of poor policy. The well off being rewarded while those at the bottom get constantly hammered. Australia has their own substantial and growing under class. Existing for similar reasons as UK, just not as long entrenched over many generations, back none the les growing. Australia certainly could not import UK's underclass in any number, expecting any degree of social harmony.
The last thing we need is Bogans breeding with Chavs

I'd take the Chinese and SE Asians any day of the week. One of the first things a lot tend to do is die their hair blond and whack in green or blue contacts then do 3 concurrent jobs, get themselves educated... then open business, say how wonderful it is here and generally gentrify an area.

do have a habit of staining the carpet yellow at the Casino though.

Above all tounge in cheek of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.