Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I don't care what you think - Children

I don't care what you think - Children

Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't care what you think - Children

I was watching Today Tonight, as it is a such an insightful thoughtful program

Anyway, I actually did like this bloke:

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/art...arental-advice

and this comment he made

What it boils down to is this - not one gram of my self esteem is wound up in what my kids think of me as a parent, I have to parent to what I believe in
I'm not so keen on his view on his kids having sex in his house rather than elsewhere. How about they just don't have sex! Controversial

I've also got a bit of a query about this one:

Have you ever asked to see the myspace profile of your children?

Ummm asked them? What? Isn't their myspace profile a public webpage available to everyone in myspace. Yet I'd have to be the only one to 'ask' to view it?

Bollox to that. I'll be editing it . Replacing pictures of them with pictures of Ena Sharples and Margaret Thatcher, and listing their hobbies as bible reading, more bible reading, and running screaming from boys who give them inappropriate glances.

But his final bit I really do agree with

think there's a danger in bubble wrapping kids, I think we imply that the world is a much more dangerous place than it actually is. The only way you learn to ride a bike is to fall off a couple of times.
JTL
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I don't care what you think - Children

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm not so keen on his view on his kids having sex in his house rather than elsewhere. How about they just don't have sex! Controversial
Too right!

think there's a danger in bubble wrapping kids, I think we imply that the world is a much more dangerous place than it actually is. The only way you learn to ride a bike is to fall off a couple of times.
Agreed.

Damn, a TodayTonight story with two valid points. What is the world coming to?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I don't care what you think - Children

I was watching Today Tonight, as it is a such an insightful thoughtful program

Anyway, I actually did like this bloke:

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/art...arental-advice

and this comment he made

I've also got a bit of a query about this one:

[/B]

Ummm asked them? What? Isn't their myspace profile a public webpage available to everyone in myspace. Yet I'd have to be the only one to 'ask' to view it?

Bollox to that. I'll be editing it . Replacing pictures of them with pictures of Ena Sharples and Margaret Thatcher, and listing their hobbies as bible reading, more bible reading, and running screaming from boys who give them inappropriate glances.

But his final bit I really do agree with

JTL

My daughter had a bebo account that she had set up at her mates house with the input of the 'mate'!

Her mate had put up a 10 second questionare and as i read the questions i was horrified...

cant remember them all but this stuck out..

What would you do with me if you had me all to yourself for half an hour?

I deleted the whole Bebo account!! and had a serious word with the friends parents.

I have explained to her all about the dangers of the internet and showed her a video that was on here about a girl who started a new school and everyone knew her cos of some profile she had.

cant be too careful
nickie
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
My daughter had a bebo account that she had set up at her mates house with the input of the 'mate'!

Her mate had put up a 10 second questionare and as i read the questions i was horrified...

cant remember them all but this stuck out..

What would you do with me if you had me all to yourself for half an hour?

I deleted the whole Bebo account!! and had a serious word with the friends parents.

I have explained to her all about the dangers of the internet and showed her a video that was on here about a girl who started a new school and everyone knew her cos of some profile she had.

cant be too careful
nickie
i have a bebo account use to have my page on public but changed it to private as i was getting some right weirdo's messaging me now only direct friends can see my page, its a good way to keep contact and them to see my pics.

a few off my chums kids have bebo pages but they are private and they look at them regularly to make sure there's nothing bad on them.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

We use facebook and keep it as friends access profile only.

I agree that its a good way to keep in touch but, god, if you had seen her Bebo account. i was not amused.

I let her have facebook but its set up from this comp so i can edit if i need to.
Nickie
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I

JTL
Wouldn't you rather know they were somewhere safe?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Somewhere safe, having sex? No, I'd rather they weren't having sex.

Thats the dilemma. Do you just accept that they're going to be having sex, so let them sleep over with their boyfriend in your house.

Or do you make it as difficult and unpleasant as possible for them to have sex?

I go for the second option... At least until they're 28

The guy in that article said teenage boys brains dont fully mature until they're 30! I'm not havng some immature boy shagging my daughter in my house.

JTL
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

JTL, are you my MIL????

She wouldn't let me and the OH sleep together in her house during the 5 years we lived together and for another 5 years AFTER we were married. The truely strange thing was that she was always asking when we would give her grandchildren.....
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fly Away
JTL, are you my MIL????

She wouldn't let me and the OH sleep together in her house during the 5 years we lived together and for another 5 years AFTER we were married. The truely strange thing was that she was always asking when we would give her grandchildren.....
She was obviously expecting you to have a virgin birth via immaculate conception. Which incidentally, is how I want to have grandkids too.

So I am not your Mother In Law, but I like her thinking.

Strange though, that your MIL thought like that, being the mother of a man. If I had a boy, I couldn't care less if he had a girlfriend over for the night.

But I've got 2 daughters, and they will NEVER have boyfriends sleeping over. Until they're at least 28, or married for 5 years

JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:28 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Like Cleethorpes.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere safe, having sex? No, I'd rather they weren't having sex.

Thats the dilemma. Do you just accept that they're going to be having sex, so let them sleep over with their boyfriend in your house.

Or do you make it as difficult and unpleasant as possible for them to have sex?

I go for the second option... At least until they're 28

The guy in that article said teenage boys brains dont fully mature until they're 30! I'm not havng some immature boy shagging my daughter in my house.

JTL
Well, they're going to do it anyway, whether you let them or not ..... we all did!!

But I can understand the dilemma, it's the same with things like drinking etc. Having two girls myself, one rapidly approaching teen years, I am dreading it! I know it's hypocritical but i would be horrified if my daughters were shagging, drinking, smoking etc as early as I did.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit like reading their diary though isn't it? Kids need their privacy, especially going through teen angst. I should say kids need the illusion of privacy because I will of course be checking up on my two. Far better for them to find out what they are really getting up to when they think they aren't being watched!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabsody
It's a bit like reading their diary though isn't it? Kids need their privacy, especially going through teen angst. I should say kids need the illusion of privacy because I will of course be checking up on my two. Far better for them to find out what they are really getting up to when they think they aren't being watched!
My point about myspace and facebook and things like that is that they are public. So any perv, stalker or whatever can read it. But they say the parents shouldn't read it.

Rubbish. For one thing, I need to know they aren't giving out details like when the house is unoccupied or their home address. Also, I want to correct their spelling mistakes .

A diary is a private thing, putting up a webpage for everyone on the internet is not. Of course parents can read it (and edit it, and fix the spelling, and change the photos to ugly old women)

JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rabsody
Well, they're going to do it anyway, whether you let them or not ..... we all did!!
Ummmm I'd like to think there is still a decent sized minority of kids who aren't shagging around in their teenage years.

Sure 99% of boys will say they have, and 10 % of girls will say they have. But I'd like to think the real figure is somewhere near 50%, and my kids won't be in the 'shagging' 50%.

JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

My point about myspace and facebook and things like that is that they are public. So any perv, stalker or whatever can read it. But they say the parents shouldn't read it.

Rubbish. For one thing, I need to know they aren't giving out details like when the house is unoccupied or their home address. Also, I want to correct their spelling mistakes .

A diary is a private thing, putting up a webpage for everyone on the internet is not. Of course parents can read it (and edit it, and fix the spelling, and change the photos to ugly old women)

JTL
Oh I'm in agreement alright but I just wouldn't let them know I was monitoring it (cos I'm sneaky like that ). My 11 year old is on MSN and I was surprised to see some of the things she had written attached to her messenger profile (nothing bad, but it's just interesting to see how they communicate when they don't think you know about it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.