Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Howdo I watch the Commonwealth Games online?

Howdo I watch the Commonwealth Games online?

Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Howdo I watch the Commonwealth Games online?

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am British. I just don't support them when it comes to sport. I guess it started with football supporters, that unsavory, shallow bunch. I just couldn't understand the aggressive, nastiness of it all and the bandwagon approach to winning and losing - you know how it works, you were there and very quiet during the Ashes, then proceed to jump up and down over the Comm games. Fair play - if the Comm Games mean a lot to you then your call. Now that I've been honest as to why I support Australia, do the decent thing and tell us why Australia dented you so badly?
easy there fella, you're entitled to support who you like but a statement like that about football supporters, is as sweeping and unjustified as 'all Aussies are bad losers and worse winners' , everyone knows it's only most of you

For the most part I think us Poms were as vocal in Aus as they were in England, supporting our team and having a laugh win or lose, it was the same in NZ last week, we were shite but we had a great laugh, met some great people and had a cracking holiday.

If you're not going to be happy til you're winning everything all of the time, then you're in for a long and miserable wait
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This revisionism of WW1 is all over the place. In fact revisionism has been a hot topic for years. There have been great articles about it in the broadsheet Australian press. I don't seem to see these articles referenced on BE - in general the broadsheet press is ignored on this forum - I have never worked out why. In time, people realise there is another point of view over established history. There was a lot of revisionism in the 60s for example. We don't need to be childish about it. Plenty of Brits like to throw the first insults and fall back on cliches. I'm more over that than the tabloid media.

The gobsmacked is just a mainstream view. Brits also forget that the Western front in WW2 was nothing compared to the E front...we can all pick our history and take usual themes from them. Arguably, the Brits were not as important as the Yanks in both WWs. I think Australians will get this history - they can still elect to attach importance to it. There is a difference between importance/contribution and what it meant to the average person at the time.
The US was more important than the UK in WW2 definitely, but not so in WW1. The US only joined right at the end and although they probably shortened the war, the British Empire and France would have won eventually, but with a much higher loss

Australia made a massive sacrifice in WW1, as did most of Britain's colonies. All of them lost so much of their youth and in the case of Australia, it knocked them back on their ass
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
easy there fella, you're entitled to support who you like but a statement like that about football supporters, is as sweeping and unjustified as 'all Aussies are bad losers and worse winners' , everyone knows it's only most of you

For the most part I think us Poms were as vocal in Aus as they were in England, supporting our team and having a laugh win or lose, it was the same in NZ last week, we were shite but we had a great laugh, met some great people and had a cracking holiday.

If you're not going to be happy til you're winning everything all of the time, then you're in for a long and miserable wait
Really, perhaps you should check with your Argentine, Scottish and German friends. I will believe the worlds opinions over Englands

What happen in NZ last week - did I miss something?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:59 am
Account Closed

Really, perhaps you should check with your Argentine, Scottish and German friends. I will believe the worlds opinions over Englands

What happen in NZ last week - did I miss something?
Oh right it's not your opinion, just what others have told you to think, fair enough.

Football Utd tour of NZ, West Ham were terrible, but hats off to Wellington and Sydney,,,, they deserved their wins. I'll even tip my hat to Newcastle
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right it's not your opinion, just what others have told you to think, fair enough

Football Utd tour of NZ, West Ham were terrible, but hats off to Wellington and Sydney,,,, they deserved their wins. I'll even tip my hat to Newcastle
Oh I caught some of that one telly. I have to admit, I didn't even know the games were on. Were The Hammers at full strength?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:13 am
Account Closed

Oh I caught some of that one telly. I have to admit, I didn't even know the games were on. Were The Hammers at full strength?
sadly yes, can't use that as an excuse, Carrol injured again but he's hopeless anyway, gonna be a long frustrating season oh well
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sadly yes, can't use that as an excuse, Carrol injured again but he's hopeless anyway, gonna be a long frustrating season oh well
I'm sorry to hear. Always had a spot for the Hammers.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:33 am
Account Closed

I'm sorry to hear. Always had a spot for the Hammers.
ah nowt I'm not used to, look who else I support lol match nights in the Royal Exhibition with the Sydney Hammers, always a quality sing song haha
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The US was more important than the UK in WW2 definitely, but not so in WW1. The US only joined right at the end and although they probably shortened the war, the British Empire and France would have won eventually, but with a much higher loss

Australia made a massive sacrifice in WW1, as did most of Britain's colonies. All of them lost so much of their youth and in the case of Australia, it knocked them back on their ass
All the allies made sacrifices in terms of numbers and proportion of population, I don't have the figures to hand: if Australia had a high proportion then it seems unfair. But if I am not mistaken, it was felt they had to participate in a war that was as much theirs as Britain's.

I find this whole WW1/Gallipoli/ sports thing interesting.

I think Australia is entitled to build a sense of their history around Gallipoli and their loss but the hard facts can be looked at in a different light, and why not. History is only someone's opinion at the end of the day.

This whole WW1/identity thing is not just an Australian thing. Generations of British schoolboys were brought up on Dunkirk, The Blitz and the Battle of Britain and those events barely 70 years old feature prominently in a national 'siege' identity which of course, is not just British. The Russian experience in Stalingrad also had an impact on the Russian history.

Then we resurrect the old Aus vs GB battles...sport..and so it goes on!

And then, in Iraq and Afghanistan, Commonwealth forces work together at a high level...something worked somewhere.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
England are doing good! Makes a change.
That is probably the biggest gripe I have with the English, why does it make a change? England has andhas had a huge number of champions over the years and punches well above its weight in many sports.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:39 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
Not many aussies watching the CGs now team England have it in the bag!!

Shame because the aussies wanted it sooooo bad

cue whinging about population size.
I have already been hearing all the 'well yeah but England has a bigger population so blah blah blah'.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Hi all,

I'm already fed up with Channel 10's crap Commonwealth Games coverage, as I actually want to see some action, rather than the inside of a tv studio with Mel and Thorpey, or Aussies cycling and swimming.

Can anyone recommend a good streaming site? I can't get BBC iplayer as it won't allow me to view, what with me being based in Australia and all that (for some annoying reason).

Wouldn't mind seeing some of the hockey, badminton, squash, weightlifting etc

Cheers
Its a shame as the BBC coverage has been really good, obviously biased toward the home nations but nowhere near as bad as Aussie coverage would be. It has been a fantastic games to be honest, not just because we came out on top but it just looks as though Glasgow has put on a top notch show, everyone seems to have enjoyed it and had a great time and it has been an enormous success.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bello
did make me laught koshy on sunrise back tracking and changing it from golds to overall medals
Yes, how is that working out for him?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chris is getting edgy. No one is paying homage to his posts.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:15 am
Banned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.