Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How are you spending NYE?

How are you spending NYE?

Old Dec 29th 2019, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default How are you spending NYE?

Our Inner Northern Melbourne NYE could well be similar and yet different to many around the country and indeed in the UK.

For instance, I would imagine plenty of people are getting the practice Fireworks popping off here and there. We've got the additional unusual background noise of a lamb bleating at one of the neighbours' places at present. I doubt we'll be hearing that sound on Jan 1st.

We'll be down the neighbors' gaff, having some extra large prawns on the barbie, well that's our contribution.... some local craft beers, washed down with some choice Tasmanian bubbles. We'll also be able to see the tips of the fireworks from the skyline of Melbournes CBD plus there will be loads of illegal fireworks locally. There will be the usual run out to the front of the house to wish the other neighbors a happy New Year.

Bleeding lots of local kids seem to have got drones for xmas, they are everywhere at present.

Anyway compliments of the season to all.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you spending NYE?

Is it a little sad to hope that I don't get any invites to go anywhere? I'm looking forward to lounging around in my kecks, feeling very proud of myself for getting my physical and mental health in a MUCH better place, cracking open an ice cold Schlossgold alcohol-free beer, reflecting on the year past, and looking forward to the year ahead (and hoping that my upcoming court cases will go my way...)

Compliments of the season to all from me too, and thanks to those who have commented on my threads. Be they good/supportive or otherwise, every single one has helped me reflect on some aspect of my year, and that is appreciated.

CHEERS
Old Dec 30th 2019, 1:49 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Working 15:00-01:00......only late shift in a couple of weeks and landed on NYE.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 2:28 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yer typical quiet night at home here.

Basically being grateful for not currently facing any natural disasters.

Just splashed out some cash to fill the pool, nice luxury to have.

Have a good and safe 2020 all.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 3:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Himself is on-call so blobbing at home for the evening and probably watch Oz survivor and a bit of Downton Abbey before crashing out which will be before midnight. They don't really do NYE here.
Tomorrow we'll make the most of the day and are having lunch with some pals so a good start to the first day of a new decade.

All the best for 2020. I'm kicking it off with retirement.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yer typical quiet night at home here.

Basically being grateful for not currently facing any natural disasters.

Have a good and safe 2020 all.
Good one DV. Whatever our troubles today, they're unlikely to be as bad as some poor souls are facing with the bushfires.

Scouse and I have ended the year with some serious forward planning, something we don't do enough of. We've agreed on most things, and the few we didn't we've compromised. We both feel happier and strangely lighter (in spirit if not in weight!)

Nothing planned for tonight, a family bar-b-que tomorrow. We just happened to choose the family member with the biggest pool for the venue
Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Himself is on-call so blobbing at home for the evening and probably watch Oz survivor and a bit of Downton Abbey before crashing out which will be before midnight. They don't really do NYE here.
Tomorrow we'll make the most of the day and are having lunch with some pals so a good start to the first day of a new decade.

All the best for 2020. I'm kicking it off with retirement.
Retirement is a wonderful word BEVS. Freedom!
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Village Boozer ..... south east England.

Happy New year all
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Village Boozer ..... south east England.

Happy New year all
Ditto..but in Derbyshire lol...we spent a lovely day yesterday in Lytham..weather has been lovely over the holidays..so we have spent our days visiting stately homes and market towns..it's our first New year's at home for years as we go overseas but I have to say we are really enjoying ourselves. The very best of wishes to everyone for the new year, may it bring you all you wish for....xx
ps hopefully the hot weather in Australia cools down soon and the conditions become safe for those in wild fire areas..we have been keeping up to date with the BBC and sky news here..stay safe
Old Dec 31st 2019, 11:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good one DV. Whatever our troubles today, they're unlikely to be as bad as some poor souls are facing with the bushfires.

Scouse and I have ended the year with some serious forward planning, something we don't do enough of. We've agreed on most things, and the few we didn't we've compromised. We both feel happier and strangely lighter (in spirit if not in weight!)

Nothing planned for tonight, a family bar-b-que tomorrow. We just happened to choose the family member with the biggest pool for the venue
A bit of forward planning is liberating, I used to think it was boring and limited the possibilities but I’ve had a chat to the wife and we’ve agreed that she is right. Especially when it comes to finances.

Arriving in Oz with AU$60k of credit card debt seems a long way away. Because it was ...

Bushfire perspective good, we will be matching the $ it cost to fill the pool with a suitable donation to the cause. Enjoy the Barbie!
Old Dec 31st 2019, 12:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

I’m actually enjoying the ABC Sydney concert and considering going next year ... big crossover with the RocKwiz demographic.

I did nearly cripple myself for 3 weeks by pogoing to The Chats earlier this year so there is that ...
Old Jan 1st 2020, 11:38 am
Concierge

A bit of forward planning is liberating, I used to think it was boring and limited the possibilities but I’ve had a chat to the wife and we’ve agreed that she is right. Especially when it comes to finances.

Arriving in Oz with AU$60k of credit card debt seems a long way away. Because it was ...

Bushfire perspective good, we will be matching the $ it cost to fill the pool with a suitable donation to the cause. Enjoy the Barbie!
Good man, when your wife wants your opinion she'll give it to you

You've done really well since you arrived, and I know the hard work and determination that takes.

You and your family donating to help people recover from the fires is a lovely thing to do There are a lot of organisations asking for help, we chose the Red Cross but there are so many, all doing wonderful and much needed work.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be cheaper to fill it with water?
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 12:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fill it with water?
Didn’t fink of that, prefer the loadsamoney aesthetic though.

$220 to fill it, not so bad and worth it once we did the annual repairs of the leaks to keep it going for another season.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 12:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good man, when your wife wants your opinion she'll give it to you

You've done really well since you arrived, and I know the hard work and determination that takes.

You and your family donating to help people recover from the fires is a lovely thing to do There are a lot of organisations asking for help, we chose the Red Cross but there are so many, all doing wonderful and much needed work.
I’ve learnt way more practical skills for sure ... small engine maintenance, woodworking, general plumbing, chainsawing, massive car port erection (oh err missus, etc) ... so much so I actually prefer it to my paid IT gig which bores me shitless frankly.

Thinking of retiring from that and going the handyman with a van route.

Paying the $ forward makes sense, spread it when you’ve got it is our philosophy. I also like to support my favourite YouTubers, watch way more of that than TV these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.