Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how sentimental are you

how sentimental are you

Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:19 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Question how sentimental are you

I have been slowly tidying and junking stuff, I have found my kids first baby clothes , their primary school work and pictures and wonky decorations they made.

to throw or not to throw?
or do I donate them to grannie to keep for me in her overflowing attic?

what did you do with this kind of thing?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how sentimental are you

we have given all our special stuff to mil to put in her loft

included was dd crib as its made out of wicker and mil spent hrs recovering it we dont want to get au and told that it would be distroyed so she is keeping it for us

dont throw as you can never replace these things and they are nice to keep

love hitch
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:26 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: how sentimental are you

Originally Posted by asher
I have been slowly tidying and junking stuff, I have found my kids first baby clothes , their primary school work and pictures and wonky decorations they made.

brought it all with me.

3 daughters and twelve and a half years of fantastic memories.

Keep it close as it will always bring a smile.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:30 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

I sorted out "memory boxes" and brought the most prescious stuff with me.

It took ages, but helped pass the time when it was "will we, won't we". Also finally got all my photos sorted out and in albums.

I still have stuff in boxes, keep thinking I should throw the boxes away, but one day I might find the time to look through them again. Keep thinking, "I had ..., and know it's there waiting to be rediscovered.

I have a friend who got a skip chucked all the stuff out and then wondered why her kids were upset

It's your decision!

Maggie
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:49 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I Bought all baby stuff and clothes that i had kept

after all i had kept them all this time for a reason so decided to continue to keep them,

especially as some of them had been bought or help made by my dad who is no longer with me, so those memories are even more precious!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:52 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just go and check those 163 packages and boxes in the garage

Just as I thought I'm a bloody horder!! brought it all with me. I figured if we are here to stay then I want all those memories here with me. The ones that bring a smile and a tear when you see them. If you had them all these years it seems a waste to just leave them. Good Luck in deciding

BTW hope your good hugs Axxxxxxxxx
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:00 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieM
I sorted out "memory boxes" and brought the most prescious stuff with me.

It took ages, but helped pass the time when it was "will we, won't we". Also finally got all my photos sorted out and in albums.

I still have stuff in boxes, keep thinking I should throw the boxes away, but one day I might find the time to look through them again. Keep thinking, "I had ..., and know it's there waiting to be rediscovered.

I have a friend who got a skip chucked all the stuff out and then wondered why her kids were upset

It's your decision!

Maggie
We accidentally 'skipped' our wedding photos in last minute packing madness.

No great loss though, we'd all been out for a curry the night before and no one looked too flash the next day.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

keep keep keep!!!

much to my OH's horror , he hates it when i go through the baby things with "ahhhh just look how tiny they were ..... I SAID LOOK !!!" he just rolls his eyes and starts to get a bit worried especially when i lay the baby grows out in my arms and start talking in a funny voice and rocking to and fro!! oo i think i just might of said to much there !!!

the ever broody weez !!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:08 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weez75
keep keep keep!!!

much to my OH's horror , he hates it when i go through the baby things with "ahhhh just look how tiny they were ..... I SAID LOOK !!!" he just rolls his eyes and starts to get a bit worried especially when i lay the baby grows out in my arms and start talking in a funny voice and rocking to and fro!! oo i think i just might of said to much there !!!

the ever broody weez !!
LOL
MY OH used to get worried when I tried the baby stuff on the dog
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:35 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a dilemma as its the kids who say chuck it!!

i want to keep the memories yet I know from my in laws house clearance following their deaths that most of it will get chucked!!

Hmmm decisions decisions
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:41 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Well, today I went to the charity shop armed with loads of bags full of stuff we're getting rid of, at the last minute, I chickened out and kept about 3 big bags of stuff that Ive had since I was a kid.

Now Ive got back home I wondering whether or not I should have just got rid of it all, cant make up my mind either
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:45 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I only brought a few things. The dress I hand smocked for my daughter when she was a 18 months old, the outfit I smocked for my son to wear home from the hospital when he was born, the motorcycle jacket I made my son when he was 2 months old, the dress my daughter wore when my OH and I got married and some of the wonderful cards and things the kids had made me over the years.

I'm the 10th of 10 children, so by the time I came along my parents had had their fill of tiny clothes and hand made cards. The earliest photo of me was taken at age 2. I always felt a little sad that my parents didn't have any of the sentimental stuff for me and I said I would never do that to my kids. I kept things that I thought they might like to have later in life.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it. Kids don't get it but I remember when I found out my Mother had slung everything of mine. I was pig sick. In years to come they will want it.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:51 pm
locked in the attic

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I only brought a few things. The dress I hand smocked for my daughter when she was a 18 months old, the outfit I smocked for my son to wear home from the hospital when he was born, the motorcycle jacket I made my son when he was 2 months old, the dress my daughter wore when my OH and I got married and some of the wonderful cards and things the kids had made me over the years.

I'm the 10th of 10 children, so by the time I came along my parents had had their fill of tiny clothes and hand made cards. The earliest photo of me was taken at age 2. I always felt a little sad that my parents didn't have any of the sentimental stuff for me and I said I would never do that to my kids. I kept things that I thought they might like to have later in life.
how small was the motorbike?!!?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:56 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I am doing exactly the same.

I kept two treasure boxes of stuff from each. I was ruthless with cards and clothes though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.