Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:31 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

No ipom, If you read my post correctly you would see my 'negativity' as you refer to it in relation to making a sense of achievement one's focal point is based on formal studies and work within the mental health sector. Not based on my own personal opinions at all.

There is a difference between professional and personal opinion.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:32 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=kiwi_child;4236003]Your bond with your children and the satisfaction they bring to your life I couldn't consider SOA. [quote]

...which of course, doesn't mean that it isn't one! It's merely two different experiences of what creates in us a SOA.

So he wouldn't be one to focus on his past achievements, but rather to focus of meeting future needs in his field. But even so, this would not preoccupy his life to the extent friends and family etc are negated.
Perhaps if you ever get the time, you could read his autobiography to see how he is driven by a SOA and his desire to move onwards and upwards, quite literally. Of course he focusses on his past achievements! - in his view, it's how we learn most effectively as humans. It shapes his future - how else can he plan it differently if he doesn't look at his past experiences? It's a fascinating read.
As for the friends and family, you'll have to read the book. (PS - It's entitled 'I chose to Climb'.... it's the first book)
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
No ipom, If you read my post correctly you would see my 'negativity' as you refer to it in relation to making a sense of achievement one's focal point is based on formal studies and work within the mental health sector. Not based on my own personal opinions at all.

There is a difference between professional and personal opinion.
No, I said personal experience, not personal opinions. (if you read my post correctly)
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:35 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Far be it for me to state what I think NB means here but I will anyway You sometimes seem to forget that you are on a message board. You obviously spend your days writing and thinking in Uni speak and appear to sometimes forget how to talk normally.

In this way you can sometimes come across as patronising. Whether you are or not I have no idea.
If you read the post she referred to, you could hardly claim I was being patronising. I try not to use 'uni speak' at all and I think the thing is some people just feel intimidated when their argument is challenged and then resort to name calling, irrelavent citations and references etc etc
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:37 am
Account Closed

It was mildly patronising, kiwi. But I didn't let that get in the way of a good discussion.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:37 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by iPom
No, I said personal experience, not personal opinions. (if you read my post correctly)
Professional formal study/training and employment commensurate with those qualifications can hardly be called 'personal experience'
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:39 am
Account Closed

And yet I can say I have no personal experience of working in the mental health sector, whereas you can.
???

I am sure whatever qualifications I have you can say you have no personal experience of either. It doesn't make your opinion any more right.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:41 am
Jedi Princess

It was mildly patronising, kiwi. But I didn't let that get in the way of a good discussion.
The original post she referred to wasn't patronising at all. The post where I suggested maybe she should 'toddle off' could be seen as that but was in response to her claiming I was 'a patronising piece of work'. Insult is always the easy and quick way out for those who have no real case to mount.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:45 am
Account Closed

ROFL! I was merely expressing my opinion that the post in question was patronising. It's only my opinion. I believe the bit she's referring to would be :
'Let me refresh your and NB's memories'... which is, actually, really quite patronising considering that you're discussing something with people who are fairly active in the brain department and hardly likely to forget what they'd just written.

I wouldn't let it worry you. Like I said, it didn't get in the way of the discussion,
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Right, I must go shopping.

It's been a blast.

Night!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:47 am
Jedi Princess

And yet I can say I have no personal experience of working in the mental health sector, whereas you can.
???

I am sure whatever qualifications I have you can say you have no personal experience of either. It doesn't make your opinion any more right.
My opinon regarding relying on a SOA was based on factual and professional accredited training and observation within that sector. I think that gives credibility to my comment. Or maybe you think your opinion on a cancer sufferer carries more weight than the one of their oncologist?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:54 am
Jedi Princess

ROFL! I was merely expressing my opinion that the post in question was patronising. It's only my opinion. I believe the bit she's referring to would be :
'Let me refresh your and NB's memories'... which is, actually, really quite patronising considering that you're discussing something with people who are fairly active in the brain department and hardly likely to forget what they'd just written.

I wouldn't let it worry you. Like I said, it didn't get in the way of the discussion,
Hardly patronising. More a 'let's get back and check what was actually posted' thing. NB's comment and your subsequent one, had nothing to do with your original comment. They were simply posted to mislead others IMO. Anyone who read the original comment you made about educating those who 'spout crap' could see what I was getting at. NB tried to rush to your aide, and you quicckly tried to put on her summary of it as being correct. Your original comment that the whingers about OZ need futher education/ training and the inference that this will result in them not 'spouting crap' is highly condescending/patronising in my opinion..
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:55 am
Account Closed

My opinon regarding relying on a SOA was based on factual and professional accredited training and observation within that sector. I think that gives credibility to my comment. Or maybe you think your opinion on a cancer sufferer carries more weight than the one of their oncologist?

OMG! Now that's patronising! LOL

So, let me get this right, and this will have to be quick as I really have shopping to do.

You've met people in your field of mental health, who have achieved stuff and become all those things you say they have.

Now I've met people not in mental health but in every day life who have achieved stuff, and are none of those things you say...

YET

Your opinion of achievement is therefore worth more than mine (one based on my own experiences and study) because you have a qualification in mental health?

Sorry kiwi, but that's ever so slightly skewed. Of course you can say that the people in your field whom you work with have given you the personal experiences which you base your opinions on. That's fine.
But you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong simply because you have a qualification in mental health!
That's ROFL ridiculous!
I have a qualification in sports sciences which classes SOA in a completely different way to how you perceive it and how you have been taught it. Yet I'm not claiming it is more correct than yours, though I have said that your experience (work and personal) give you that view.

Anyway, like I said, I have to go shopping.

Isn't it a shame they got rid of the spelling checker?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:56 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Let me refresh your and NB's memories

"This is the way I feel too.

I often wonder that if the people spouting the vitriol put as much effort into themselves (getting further education, taking a night class, retraining etc) as they do spouting crap, then life would be much different for them."

I see no mention of social life, rave parties, coffee mornings, clubbing, social lunches, dinners or get-to-gethers of any kind. Nor do I see any mention of , hobbies, interests,spending time in more positive ways (other than education/retraining which implies a lack of education among the target you mention). It further implies that with a bit of education they will assimilate to your liking and stop 'spouting crap'.

Spouting crap of course, is your interpretation of what you don't like hearing. Too other's it's called 'freedom of speech', democracy, or an open mind not subject to pressure to conform to any particular sectors wishes.
Take no notice of the imbeciles ,you cant debate with people that only see their own points of view .Its a typical response from arrogant and ignorant people who see insulting people as their god given right but dont like it when they get it in return .
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
Just wondered how many of the people waiting for their visas and planning to come out here read the going back forum to get some other prospectives?
There has been a lot written lately about the overly pro-Australia posts on this forum and the lack of balance.
I know when we were planning to come I didn't read the Mbtt UK as it scared me to much. Not sure if it would have made any difference if I had, only your own experiences can really teach you about yourself.

Also been surprised by the number of people I have corresponded with lately that are looking at doing 2 then out.

Not been on that much for a while as the cooler weather has enabled as to get out and about, the scorching times are here now so I find myself doing less outside now then in the Autumn/Spring, so in the aircon during the day looking for something to do.

Kevin
I used to read it before getting the visa's but the missus didn't want to hear any negatives about the place. Her view was that on a public forum only those with a highly polarised view either way was likely to post, and therefore their posts had little merit. Had it been just me coming and reading the forums then I almost certainly wouldn't have come. But it did seem at the time she had a point. I'll be the first to admit my posts are highly negative but had I back then been reading my posts I would have at least had more of a worry and maybe not made so many irrevocable decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.