Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:19 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Originally Posted by arkon
Well (global)you don't have to argue, it's the season of merriment and joy and obviously the lateness of the day is causing a brain decay in myself so I will bid you all goodnight and a happy new year. I hope all those stuck here and discontent find their way home this new year and all those that like it here and are content stay content, and when you should change your minds and realise the truth I hope there will be plenty of people on here to listen to your whinging in peace and happiness.

Night all.
HeHe. Night hon. Take care.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:22 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Pithy would have been better.
Well yes, I could have described your post as being terse I spose, but hardly as being full of meaning and substance LOL
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just trawling back to other comments -

Grayling : as much as I respect your views, and I mean that in the professional sense of the word, I disagree. (I notice you do tend to champion the 'downtrodden' 'UKers' from a sort of neutral high ground!) Noone minds the discussion of negativity - 2 important caveats (in my opinion).

i) People don't like mindless insults or generalisations.
Some of the MBTUK people are pretty heavy, wouldn't you agree?

Noone ever says, "I find x a bit of a bind" its all pretty laid on thick, whole nations get characterised and disregarded, its all other people's fault.

We're talking literally 1-5 people at any given time. It's only when the negativity comes from the people who coincidentally also seem to be very unbalanced or angry that you wonder especially when other people with similar tastes or backgrounds can do so well out here.

ii) If people are a tad hard on the UK - they probably have reason to - that's why they may be expats - and they may not be able to improve their situation by staying whereas migration may fix it for them.

Look at it this way : your place of birth is not a choice, where you live is. It's a given that people will attack that which is given to them not which they ask for. Much of the UK negativity is all political claptrap.

Equilibrium will establish itself somewhere!

cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 30th 2006 at 12:27 am.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Well yes, I could have described your post as being terse I spose, but hardly as being full of meaning and substance LOL
Yes, but pith is a component of a citrus fruit, whereas 'terse' isn't.

< hits head on desk >

Last edited by iPom; Dec 30th 2006 at 12:34 am.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

< hits head on desk >
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well what can I say Badge... You're kinda likeable in an arsey sort of way
If we all met, most of us would get on famously. We'd say "remember the time I said...you said"..there would probably me much buying of drinks and backslapping all around. Most conversations are asynchronous after all...its not all thread after thread after thread dissecting every line.

Mine's a Coopers Kiwi. .
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:35 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I don't believe in luck and lucky people. Which rather means I and I alone am responsable for every bad decision and outcome to befall us. Sould have chose to live in a city!! Oxford or York would have been nice.
York's not great anymore I think... Nice in the 70's when I was still living with Army dad... Go a bit North to the edge of the moors and you're talking though...
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Just trawling back to other comments -

Grayling : as much as I respect your views, and I mean that in the professional sense of the word, I disagree. (I notice you do tend to champion the 'downtrodden' 'UKers' from a sort of neutral high ground!) Noone minds the discussion of negativity - 2 important caveats (in my opinion).

i) People don't like mindless insults or generalisations.
Some of the MBTUK people are pretty heavy, wouldn't you agree?

Noone ever says, "I find x a bit of a bind" its all pretty laid on thick, whole nations get characterised and disregarded, its all other people's fault.

We're talking literally 1-5 people at any given time. It's only when the negativity comes from the people who coincidentally also seem to be very unbalanced or angry that you wonder especially when other people with similar tastes or backgrounds can do so well out here.

ii) If people are a tad hard on the UK - they probably have reason to - that's why they may be expats - and they may not be able to improve their situation by staying whereas migration may fix it for them.

Look at it this way : your place of birth is not a choice, where you live is. It's a given that people will attack that which is given to them not which they ask for. Much of the UK negativity is all political claptrap.

Equilibrium will establish itself somewhere!

cheers
Very well said - I haven't got the energy to 'debate' with some of said posters - but if I did, those would be my words
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Regardless of what your take on what iPom said, the facts were that it was easily mis-interpreted. FWIW on my 1st reading of it I thought she was having a pop at me and anyone that was having a hard time here and using the forum to spout (in her own words) vitriol. She implied that we should all get either better educated or retrain, and thus spend less time on here moaning about the country.

I've had my ding dongs with iPom in the past and I'm sure that's not what her intentions were. On reflection I decided I had done plenty since coming here to 'retrain' or become better 'educated' afterall I didn't know squat about farming or the mating habits of Alpaca's before coming here.

So iPom, all my retraining here hasn't helped my outlook or view of Australia one iota, infact it's probably made it worse as I came into contact with aspects of Australia that I could have avoided if I had just bought a nice suburban home in a city, surrounded by other nice immigrants, rather than the one-eyed, three armed yokels in my neck of the woods.

(Not ment as a dig at ipom!)

I also read the post has having a go at people that had problems or not doing it her way.However I didn't bite because you need to know the person and the situation. It doesn't mean of course that it was meant to come over that way.

Excellent post by the way.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I C KFC in US will no longer use trans fat but in OZ they will continue too

Idea is not to eat it too often Arkon. No point in clogging your arteries unecessarily now
Now this is a big thing which annoys me about Australia - food standards. They seem so behind the UK and Europe. Colourings such as E102 (dammed to eternal damnation by the EU) which you would now find hard to find in Asda, Tesco etc are commonplace here - especially in kids food.
I looked at a packet of fish fingers the other day - from recollection in the UK they now have very few additives and you really do have to buy cheap to find a packet with a lot in. But they are absolutely jammed packed with chemicals here - even Birds Eye..

I've been following the trans fats story and kind of guessed that they would continue to use it here. Very, very disappointing - shopping to find additive free food - especially for kids - is a nightmare in Perth.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Now this is a big thing which annoys me about Australia - food standards. They seem so behind the UK and Europe. Colourings such as E102 (dammed to eternal damnation by the EU) which you would now find hard to find in Asda, Tesco etc are commonplace here - especially in kids food.
I looked at a packet of fish fingers the other day - from recollection in the UK they now have very few additives and you really do have to buy cheap to find a packet with a lot in. But they are absolutely jammed packed with chemicals here - even Birds Eye..

I've been following the trans fats story and kind of guessed that they would continue to use it here. Very, very disappointing - shopping to find additive free food - especially for kids - is a nightmare in Perth.
I agree although I don't buy anything like that anyway. There is absolutely no need to buy anything special for kids. piece of fish dipped in flour egg and wholemeal breadcrumbs, much better for kids than birds eye crud. you can do the same with chicken to make your own nuggets too.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree although I don't buy anything like that anyway. There is absolutely no need to buy anything special for kids. piece of fish dipped in flour egg and wholemeal breadcrumbs, much better for kids than birds eye crud. you can do the same with chicken to make your own nuggets too.
We pretty much cook from basics anyhow but it doesn't always work out that way.

I'm not going to fanny around with a bit of fish, egg and breadcrumbs next week on our camping trip - it's going to take me a day to put the tent up so I'll be too knackered for that kind of stuff (and won't have the utensils anyhow). Also when we go out for dinner - if they put so much rubbish into the retail food what is going on with restaurant food?
Kid's parties? School canteens? Visiting friends' houses for dinner?

I reckon (at least my family tell me) that I'm probably the most ardent (extreme?) supporter of cooking simple, additive free food but with all the best intentions you can't do it all the time and it annoys me that the Australian Food Standards people are so apathetic in pulling the food industry into line. And if they are so lax with processed food, doesn't it concern you what they might allow farms to do (especially bearing in mind the apparent power of the agricultural sector)?
For God's sake even the US is banning trans fats.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:13 pm
Jedi Princess

< hits head on desk >
Yes point taken. Pith/pithy is not a term I find myself using often. Infact I can't recall last time I did. so, perhaps not surprising I did not click to the relation with citrus fruit automatically. (it does have two meanings after all)
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

(it does have two meanings after all)

Yes! She gets it!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

wow yesterday I posted on an innocuous one page thread- today pages of insults and misinterpretations of comments!
All those wanting to move back feel they are being outnumbered by the content to be here/happy to be here/delirously happy to be here group....

Anyway onto the point....
Way, way back in the early pages, someone said Australia does a good job of selling itself. Maybe I am a bit cynical, but something I learnt ages ago was anything that is oversold is not as good as people like to say (especially true of film reviews! ).

However I had not heard of Australia selling itself so came out here with an open mind and have not been disappointed. If expectations are set too high, the result will always be disappointing, no matter how great, because how can anything live up to huge hype?

With that in mind, I will not be going to see Happy Feet!

(and IPom, I understood your point, but good thing you did not say "go to the gym, join a sports club" rather than the education example. You would have been accused of being sizeist)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.