Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many people would agree that......

How many people would agree that......

Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many people would agree that......

Actually getiing the visa to immigrate was, with hindsight, the easy bit?

Its all the shit that comes after thats the problem..... Yet so many peeps cant see past finding the magic ticket that gets them here...

We came expecting to work.... Both found jobs and have done just that... Same shite in a shinier bucket.... The kids have it good in comparrisson to the uk.. But we are...better off but still slogging it out...

Australia sells itself well... The advertising campaign is great... But reality is you are transplanting a life to a different georgraphical area....atvgreat personal, financial and emotional expense...

So if youre happy where you are... Comfortable, well off..why the **** do it????
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many people would agree that......

Meh, it's what you make it, come with no expectations and enjoy the ride for what it is.

There are some people in the world starving, some people being maltreated, some people are stuck where they are and in desperate situations. Some people live day to day not knowing if they will live.

If some angst over the cost of living (real living) is the worst thing happening then we should think ourselves lucky.

And yes, the Visa is easy, the marriage is the bastard.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Meh, it's what you make it, come with no expectations and enjoy the ride for what it is.

There are some people in the world starving, some people being maltreated, some people are stuck where they are and in desperate situations. Some people live day to day not knowing if they will live.

If some angst over the cost of living (real living) is the worst thing happening then we should think ourselves lucky.

And yes, the Visa is easy, the marriage is the bastard.
UK.... Wife..comfortable unsurprising missionary position
Australia.... The Blonde Bombshell anything goes Mistress...

Not til you leave the wife that you realise that a homecooked meal and worn slippers next to the fire and the family dog waiting for you to get home from work is actually a better bet than the High Maintenance Chihuahua carrying money pit.

Yup... My Mistress has become my Trophy wife... And I would never go back to the Ex.... But some days... Sheeesh..... if I had a mate planning to do the same thing I'd say..you sure mate?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:36 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have two buckets, I have my shiny bucket for where I live now which has on many occasions been full of the same shit.

I have a crappy tin bucket in the UK which is positively overflowing with shite at the moment and infiltrating its way down the phone/skype to me in Perth.

Both buckets pretty full at the moment and I am glad I dont have to face the tatty bucket in the UK, only hear about it but in the main, I prefer the shinier bucket here.

Life is hard here, its frustrating but still better for us than it ever was in the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
UK.... Wife..comfortable unsurprising missionary position
Australia.... The Blonde Bombshell anything goes Mistress...

Not til you leave the wife that you realise that a homecooked meal and worn slippers next to the fire and the family dog waiting for you to get home from work is actually a better bet than the High Maintenance Chihuahua carrying money pit.

Yup... My Mistress has become my Trophy wife... And I would never go back to the Ex.... But some days... Sheeesh..... if I had a mate planning to do the same thing I'd say..you sure mate?
Wise words I think

My cooking is better than the wife's so that's one less thing to worry about
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Wise words I think

My cooking is better than the wife's so that's one less thing to worry about
Unforrunately my cooking is worse than HIS What hope do I have?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:41 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by eddie007
Unforrunately my cooking is worse than HIS What hope do I have?
All the hope in the world <insert cheesy motivational speech here>.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I like shiny buckets!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I like shiny buckets!
Same here, love shiny things myself and bright things - thats why I am addicted to Bejeweled.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes definitely agree that getting the visa is the easy bit, filling in a few forms, taking a couple of tests ... easy peasy compared to uprooting life and moving to the other side of the world.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never got this advertising bit. I wasn't expecting anything to be different from the UK other than the climate.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Ed. The visa was the easy part. The day to day living here is the tough part for a lot of us. It's even tougher when there's only one that's not 100% settled when the rest of the family are.

You're right, too Vim. In the grand scheme of things I really have very little to complain about. I have a job I love which pays me a good salary, I have a home and enough money to buy not only the things I need, but the things I want too.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I agree Ed. The visa was the easy part. The day to day living here is the tough part for a lot of us. It's even tougher when there's only one that's not 100% settled when the rest of the family are.

You're right, too Vim. In the grand scheme of things I really have very little to complain about. I have a job I love which pays me a good salary, I have a home and enough money to buy not only the things I need, but the things I want too.
Definitely the visa was the easy part....after arriving assuming I was going to get married and live happily ever after life has been an uphill struggle ever since.
Didn't really make any difference that I was in Australia - that wasn't the original pull, just as well, I never see beaches or resort islands or anything like that, I could be in almost any city on the planet for all the difference it makes Only good bit is that I haven't been made redundant (and thus bankrupt)....yet
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:04 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said on here a million times before australia is the same shit.
Mortgage,schools,bills,work....just the same shit as back home in the UK.
Visa was easy,TRA slightly more difficult,living here....boody hard,expensive work.

Atleast the sun is shining (cum November time anyway)

lee
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We thought we were just too old (50) to get a visa so gave up even thinking about it. Took early retirement then spent 3 years just getting through things - 3 remaining parents died, tree fell through our roof, needed surgery on my back... By chance we learnt about retirement visas and jumped at the chance. Visa itself was relatively quick and easy. We love starting again, learning new stuff, building a house, being outside almost every day. We were very happy in the UK and came here for the differences rather than improvements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.